Paganini 20

November 7, 2021, 4:03 PM · What's the trick with the opening? How do you get an A string tone that's beautiful and singing compared with the naturally more resonant open D string?

I am trying angling my bow slightly so that the A string has a contact point closer to the bridge than the D string. And also accenting slightly when I have just made a shift (particularly when shifting up to an A on the A string, which otherwise gets completely overshadowed).

But none of this does that much good, because the open D has loads of time to develop very strong resonance and therefore has very strong tone, while quavers on the A string do not develop the same resonance (even if I'm playing them in a way that I'd be very happy with if it was just the A string sounding...)

Replies (3)

November 7, 2021, 7:49 PM · Greetings,
maybe part of the answer is within he way you phrase the question (a beautiful, singing tone)?
That is, what are the core exercises for developing depth of sound. One in particular is the pulsing exercises (accents within a bow stroke) So perhaps a lot of practic eon continually developing the a string sound will contribute to the solution. Also really focus on vibrato on every note. Practice double stopped in fifths is always useful. Experiment with colors by using differnet parts of the fingertips on the string.
Finally, for developing independence of sorts try using different open strings and even playing the melody on different strings. Weird, but nothing wrong with stretching the mind.
Cheers,
Buri
November 8, 2021, 2:06 AM · Dear Chris, in this caprice Paganini is imitating "cornamusa sound" ,so if the D string is resonable that is no great problem, the important thing is that the melodic line in A string is enough clear
November 13, 2021, 7:34 PM · You can put more weight on one string than the other of a double stop by slightly adjusting the bow angle - maybe try that here, giving the a just a bit more weight. Just thinking that may even be enough... It only takes a very subtle difference in weight.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Silent Violin
Yamaha Silent Violin

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Los Angeles Philharmonic
Los Angeles Philharmonic

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Violinist.com Shopping Guide
Violinist.com Shopping Guide

Metzler Violin Shop

Bein & Company

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Leatherwood Bespoke Rosin

Annapolis Bows & Violins

Los Angeles Violin Shop

String Masters

Bobelock Cases

Things 4 Strings LLC

Violin-Strings.com

Viola-Strings.com

Baerenreiter

Fiddlerman.com

FiddlerShop

Sleepy Puppy Press

Jargar Strings

J.R. Judd Violins, LLC

Southwest Strings

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe