Tartini's letter to Maddalena Lombardini

November 4, 2021, 11:42 AM · Hi,

a few days ago I stubbled upon Tartini's letter to Maddalena Lombardini. It can be found on IMSLP. Tartini gave great instructions and for the most part I find his explanations comprehensible. However I have some doubt about the “half-shift” he mentions in the second part when he talks about the left hand.

As far as I can make out, he wants the student to play any familiar score while resting in half-position. Later the student is to play the same tune in first, second, third, fourth position and so on. Makes sense...What I don´t understand is why he gives instructions to keep the first finger on the note G on the first (ie lowest) string in half position, since that would be the g sharp, unless the finger rests on the nut. Also I don't understand why the student is apparently allowed to leave the half-position when he or she is supposed to play an A on the E-Sting. That would not be a problem in half-position.

Have I misunderstood that passage?

By the way, I was surprised that Tartini uses names for the notes that seem to be related to the medieval hexachordal system. An A for example is called „Alamire“...

Replies (5)

November 4, 2021, 2:23 PM · Half shift is second position. From memory Tartini encourages practice of any simple passage in all positions.
Wonderful source of information - especially in the messa di voce.
Edited: November 5, 2021, 3:20 AM · Leopold Mozart also uses the term half-shift to mean 2nd. position. I think it comes from the fact that 3rd was really the only shift in the day (unless you were a show-off). I see the translation is Charles Burney - that's interesting in itself.
November 5, 2021, 9:11 AM · "What I don´t understand is why he gives instructions to keep the first finger on the note G on the first (ie lowest) string in half position, since that would be the g sharp"

Presumably by "first", he means the E string, then?

November 5, 2021, 9:15 AM · Good heavens-- that was silly of me. I'd been thinking from the G on up, whereas every composer who puts the indication in a part writes Sul I to mean the E string.
November 5, 2021, 9:18 AM · Correct. I'm not sure when IV meaning G string became standardised. They were often called basso, tenore, canto, cantino. Vivaldi uses Canto and Cantino in the first movement of Summer to specify strings - most people ignore that instruction I think out of confusion even though it's pretty clear.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Silent Violin
Yamaha Silent Violin

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Los Angeles Philharmonic
Los Angeles Philharmonic

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Violinist.com Shopping Guide
Violinist.com Shopping Guide

Metzler Violin Shop

Bein & Company

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Leatherwood Bespoke Rosin

Annapolis Bows & Violins

Los Angeles Violin Shop

String Masters

Bobelock Cases

Things 4 Strings LLC

Violin-Strings.com

Viola-Strings.com

Baerenreiter

Fiddlerman.com

FiddlerShop

Sleepy Puppy Press

Jargar Strings

J.R. Judd Violins, LLC

Southwest Strings

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe