bowhair cleaning

November 2, 2021, 3:38 PM · I sounded pretty bad the other day, but I sounded good again after I wiped all the rosin off my bow with a microfibre cloth. I won't rosin it again until something tells me I need to.
Does anyone here do that regularly?
It occurred to me that I should do it every time I change strings at least, since my Dominants took so long to mellow out last time I changed them.

Replies (9)

Edited: November 3, 2021, 7:48 AM · 1. I always wear dark trousers so I can swipe my bow on them to see if they are carrying enough rosin. I do this fairly often.

2, If my bow hair has (what I consider) too much rosin I do swipe it on a microfiber cloth. I do this fairly rarely.

3. If I think my sound has changed and I think my bow has too much too melted and re-hardened rosin on the hair I alcohol clean it. I do this carefully only using alcohol pads sold in drug stores to avoid any danger of dripping rosin on the bow stick or near any instrument. I do this very rarely - for example I don't think I have done it during the COVID pandemic (but I have lots of bows). I have described the process previously on this discussion blog: ( https://www.violinist.com/discussion/thread.cfm?page=5118 )

I also do step 2 on my instrument strings after every time I play. I do step 3 on my instrument strings if the sound I get from doing step 2 on them tells me there is still too much rosin on them - I only do this very rarely.

I have been doing these things for about 50 years.

November 2, 2021, 4:58 PM · I'll give like 3 or 4 swipes of rosin about once a week. It seems to suit me fine. Maybe just rosin less and see if it hinders you.
November 3, 2021, 7:11 PM · The way people here claim they use so little rosin, it's a wonder the dealers sell any of it at all. I'm coming right out and saying it: I rosin my bow every day, and at least 6-8 swipes. Who's with me? Solidarity in rosin!!
Edited: November 3, 2021, 7:40 PM · Paul-when it wipes pale on my black trousers I add a couple of swipes. Don't want my sound to come out weak!
November 3, 2021, 7:32 PM · Paul, this website is a loose coalition of convenient alliances. Such inflammatory rhetoric could spark this whole tinderbox, starting a civil war the string community has seldom seen - Violin against violin, viola against viola!
Edited: November 3, 2021, 8:14 PM · Christian you better lock your doors. Some of my henchmen might come into your studio in the black of night and rosin the living hell out of your bow.

That's the trouble with conservatoire education these days. Too much of Critical Rosin Theory.

Edited: November 3, 2021, 8:30 PM · Paul, you dirty dog!

Well I've never run from a skirmish. Expect my door to be wide open - You will know the house by the comically large Gadsden "DON'T ROSIN MY BOW" flag that blows in the wind with a mighty freedom.

I'm willing to give up all my other rights (and the rights of everyone around me) in service of my 33rd Amendment right to rosin my own bow how I see fit, as Jefferson intended in the Federale Papyruses.

November 4, 2021, 9:07 AM · Paul, I use lots of rosin. It always comes off and if it's too much that will change in about an hour. I also inflate my car tires to +2 because they never leak up.
November 9, 2021, 11:32 AM · I usually give 4-6 swipes every other day, if practise one hour per day

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Silent Violin
Yamaha Silent Violin

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Los Angeles Philharmonic
Los Angeles Philharmonic

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Violinist.com Shopping Guide
Violinist.com Shopping Guide

Metzler Violin Shop

Bein & Company

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Leatherwood Bespoke Rosin

Annapolis Bows & Violins

Los Angeles Violin Shop

String Masters

Bobelock Cases

Things 4 Strings LLC

Violin-Strings.com

Viola-Strings.com

Baerenreiter

Fiddlerman.com

FiddlerShop

Sleepy Puppy Press

Jargar Strings

J.R. Judd Violins, LLC

Southwest Strings

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe