Video recording software for Windows with good audio, preferably freeware?

October 28, 2021, 10:25 PM · I prefer to use my PC for audio/video recording. I have a passable entry level mic hooked up to a powered USB mixer, and a Logitech webcam (get you a USB extension cord if you buy one of these). "LogiCapture", the Windows app that comes free with the camera, records terrible audio. I've made sure it was set to record from my good mic, not the camera's mic, and the audio is still super low quality in the renders. I then disabled all audio recording on the Logitech app, and simultaneously recorded audio with Audacity and video with Logitech, and both came out fine, so this isn't a hardware firepower issue. I've resorted to recording this way and then mixing the audio and video together on OpenShot, a decent freeware video editor. I even considered buying one of those clapperboards they use on movie sets (syncing of audio and video is why they use those things). I'd rather just have a simple program that records and renders audio/video to the best of my gear's ability. Any suggestions?

Replies (5)

Edited: October 29, 2021, 10:40 AM · While I'm no expert by any long shot, I found OBS Studio to be quite helpful earlier this year when my former teacher/ensemble director had us record parts for some pieces he posted on YouTube. It is available for Windows, Mac AND Linux. It's also good for live streaming, or so I've read, I've not used it that way. It works well with my Blue Yeti mic and my Logitech C920s Pro HD webcam.

https://obsproject.com/

I'll be using this in December to record a few hammered dulcimer musical Christmas greetings for friends and family :-)

October 30, 2021, 7:55 AM · For video/audio recording I really like the software from NCH. While they are not free, they aren't too expensive. For just making videos using my Logitech webcam and Blue Snowball mic I use Debut. If I need to do editing or effects I use Video Pad. Both seem to have decent audio and video and are pretty simple to use. If I need a lot of audio effects, noise cancellation, etc. I will use Audacity.
October 30, 2021, 2:01 PM · I've used OBS Studio, and I find it to be pretty user-friendly. I don't have much to compare to, but I found the audio to be pretty good. I've never done live-streaming, though.
November 11, 2021, 9:24 PM · Thank you to Catherine, Bob, and Christian for your feedback. OBS Studio does what I need for now, and the audio is much better than what the Logitech app was picking up. As I'm pretty tapped out on business expenses for the rest of the year, I'll wait till next year to see what NCH is about and consider buying it.
November 21, 2021, 2:35 PM · After recording how can i equalize the results? which frequencies can i cut to eliminate unused bass range and, more importantly, which frequences can i cut for a sweet, non-strident violin sound? my ears hurts sometimes when i'm listening the recording of the E string.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Silent Violin
Yamaha Silent Violin

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Los Angeles Philharmonic
Los Angeles Philharmonic

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Violinist.com Shopping Guide
Violinist.com Shopping Guide

Metzler Violin Shop

Bein & Company

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Leatherwood Bespoke Rosin

Annapolis Bows & Violins

Los Angeles Violin Shop

String Masters

Bobelock Cases

Things 4 Strings LLC

Violin-Strings.com

Viola-Strings.com

Baerenreiter

Fiddlerman.com

FiddlerShop

Sleepy Puppy Press

Jargar Strings

J.R. Judd Violins, LLC

Southwest Strings

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe