Weatherproof, Lightweight Travel Violin Case Recommendations Wanted

October 28, 2021, 11:39 AM · Recommendations Wanted: I am looking to purchase a new violin case for travel. Needs to be lightweight, protective, temperature and humidity controlled, waterproof/resistant. I live on an island and drive around on a motorbike.

I'm considering the Bam hightech contoured, Bam overhead, Shar SL backpacker, Shar Lioncases, Tonareli cell-shaped..

Does anyone have pictures of how the backpack straps sit on your back with the Bam hightech or Shar Lioncase. I have a problem with the straps hanging too long on my back to sit on my motorbike comfortably.

Thank you for recommendations and pics of what works for you.

Replies (4)

October 28, 2021, 12:24 PM · I won't bother with case recommendations, as availability can depend on which side of the Atlantic you are on.
But I did waterproof my case last week.
I used Nikwax Softshell Proof.
You are supposed to spray it onto wet material, but I sprayed it onto dry.
October 28, 2021, 12:42 PM · If you go with BAM, get the waterproof neoprene case cover, both to shield/insulate it against the elements and also prevent scratches.

I'd recommend though checking out the Gewa Pure shaped case, which is very small, and has a very tough exterior. To protect the instrument more I'd get a silk bag for it for inside the case.

While I've used my Musafia for years, when I flew right before the pandemic, I used the Gewa as it was smaller and easier to fit in the overhead compartment on the airplane.

October 28, 2021, 2:32 PM · Musafia now makes one that is too short for a bow-- that will be easier to check into small compartments, but will require an extra bow case.

I think Riboni offers similar short cases that also have a special pocket for a bow case.

Edited: October 28, 2021, 10:26 PM · I use a Gewa Air shaped case for travel. Two years ago I stumbled and dropped it directly from shoulder level onto a marble floor. Bang! (Wearing a slippery nylon jacket, foolishly using only one strap to sling it over my shoulder.) There was a slight dent on the exterior of the case, but the violin was unharmed, and didn't even lose its tuning. The case meets the other criteria too.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Silent Violin
Yamaha Silent Violin

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Los Angeles Philharmonic
Los Angeles Philharmonic

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Violinist.com Shopping Guide
Violinist.com Shopping Guide

Metzler Violin Shop

Bein & Company

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Leatherwood Bespoke Rosin

Annapolis Bows & Violins

Los Angeles Violin Shop

String Masters

Bobelock Cases

Things 4 Strings LLC

Violin-Strings.com

Viola-Strings.com

Baerenreiter

Fiddlerman.com

FiddlerShop

Sleepy Puppy Press

Jargar Strings

J.R. Judd Violins, LLC

Southwest Strings

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe