Preview button on IMSLP not working

October 27, 2021, 10:35 AM · On IMSLP there is a "preview" button next to each entry, it is eye-shaped. In a distant past I remember it worked quite well, you got a preview of the PDF file. However it stopped working a long time ago, but I had a rather old computer, so I thought it was my fault. However now I have a shiny new iMac and these buttons still don't work. Anyone else has this problem?

Replies (19)

October 27, 2021, 10:51 AM · Yes, it's the same for me using a newish Windows 10 machine. In the past I thought it was just certain files that were affected but recently they all seem to be. Consequently I finish up with a lot of downloads.
October 27, 2021, 11:01 AM · I don't remember ever using the "View (with eyeball)" function, but I just tried it on this page:

https://imslp.org/wiki/Concerto_for_2_Violins_in_D_minor%2C_BWV_1043_(Bach%2C_Johann_Sebastian)

One of the scores #83072 opened, but showed an empty page. However, #02300 just below it did open the title page correctly.

I don't know if they have restricted this feature to paying subscribers, but it does seem to work - somewhat.

Edited: October 27, 2021, 11:11 AM · They all work. The preview function has no problems.

I am on MacOs Big Sur 11.6.

One of the Bach previews (from the Double Concerto, as mentioned by someone above) is empty, but that doesn't necessarily indicate that the preview function is broken. It could just be that the process of giving a document a preview page requires manual input, so basically, someone did not input correctly.

October 27, 2021, 12:56 PM · I draw a blank with that: Macbook with OS 10.15.7
October 27, 2021, 1:06 PM · Andrew what do you mean "you draw a blank": the previews work fine, or they don't? sorry I am not a native English speaker.

Mike: perhaps you may have some suggestions why they work with you and not with me? something that is enabled or disabled perhaps?

Edited: October 27, 2021, 3:00 PM · The only website-modifying extension that I have is Adblock Plus (free). Also, I am using Chrome. For IMSLP, I am a subscriber. Maybe clear your browser's cache (maybe cookies too)? I am not completely sure why it's working badly for some.
October 27, 2021, 3:04 PM · A bit of an aside: how many members here contribute to IMSLP?
October 27, 2021, 3:16 PM · Subscribe guys. I only make money from parent donations (from parents of students I tutor), and even I can afford it. 15 seconds is a long time.
October 27, 2021, 3:21 PM · I contribute, have for years.
By "drawing a blank" I meant that literally and figuratively. Blank screen. But I never tried that before, either. I just click on the link and look at the pages.
October 27, 2021, 4:33 PM · Some works and some doesn't, for me on both Firefox Nightly and Chromium, Linux, not logged in as a subscriber.

On those that doesn't work, the browser console shows "CORS header ‘Access-Control-Allow-Origin’ missing". The webpage is asking for a server for something, but the policy disallows it.

My quick guess is that there are some server-side mis-configurations on some resources, which used to be tolerated by older browsers, but no longer so by newer browsers.

Anyone who knows the owner of the site should probably send them a bug report.

October 27, 2021, 7:28 PM · Same here. logged in as a subscriber on a MacBook from 2010 using HighSierra. The viewer window opens up and nothing appears inside. I tried a bassoon part of 0.13 megabytes and nothing in more than a minute.

I remember it working though sluggishly.

October 28, 2021, 1:10 AM · I've posted a query on IMSLP's Feature Requests/Bug Reports forum
October 28, 2021, 6:50 AM · I've been a subscriber for years. Considering how cheap it is and how often I use it, I would feel guilty not subscribing.

As for the original question, I see a blank screen for about half of them and the other half work fine. I originally it was maybe a browser issue, but it looks like half of them (the ones that work) use the Peachnote plugin, and the half that don't work use Viewer JS. These are indicated at the bottom of the document.

Edited: October 28, 2021, 7:10 AM · Yesterday I found one file I could view out of about 10 but I didn't notice whether it was Peachnote or JSViewer. Today every one I've tried says JSViewer and I can't view them!

Interestingly on October 23 another user posted a Bug Report saying JSViewer not working while on September 10 it was Peachnote not working. In neither case has there been any response from the powers at IMSLP.

October 29, 2021, 10:56 AM · Great to hear how many of us are supporting it. Its the Library of Alexandria to classical musicians. Truly one of the best things on the internet - and yes there are a few glitches but not for the key functions.

If there is anyone on here that works for IMSLP - thanks!

October 29, 2021, 1:40 PM · Elise yes IMSLP and Wikipedia.
November 21, 2021, 6:29 AM · Sometimes the issue can be that there are a few blank pages first and if you keep scrolling down it is there. IMSLP is such an amazing resource regardless!!
November 21, 2021, 7:24 AM · Karen's latest tip prompted me to try it out again, I tested around 10 random pages, and...bizarrely, their previews all now work without problems! so the issue seems solved?
November 21, 2021, 9:59 AM · Hey, it works for me too!

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Silent Violin
Yamaha Silent Violin

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Los Angeles Philharmonic
Los Angeles Philharmonic

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Violinist.com Shopping Guide
Violinist.com Shopping Guide

Metzler Violin Shop

Bein & Company

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Leatherwood Bespoke Rosin

Annapolis Bows & Violins

Los Angeles Violin Shop

String Masters

Bobelock Cases

Things 4 Strings LLC

Violin-Strings.com

Viola-Strings.com

Baerenreiter

Fiddlerman.com

FiddlerShop

Sleepy Puppy Press

Jargar Strings

J.R. Judd Violins, LLC

Southwest Strings

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe