Violin Four hands

October 8, 2021, 1:02 PM · Hi,
please look at this funny encore:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=hHs-GcMG9dM

Years ago, I have already seen this in some other recording.
A friend of mine and I wanted to try this out, but we have not been able to find some sheet music of it.

Does anyone here happen to know anything about it?

I definitely wouldn’t bother figuring it out, myself.

Thanks in advance!

Replies (7)

October 8, 2021, 2:57 PM · I remember seeing a comedy video by Ray Chen, and in that video, 3 people, including Ray, shares one violin. One of them plucks, one bows, and one fingers. It was pretty funny :).
October 8, 2021, 3:57 PM · A couple of years ago I played a piece with my daughter that was actually written for two players on one violin. It is written by Christian Ernst Graaf and the title is "Duo Economique". As I remember it the inside player plays in 3rd position and on A and E mainly while the outside player plays in 1st position on G and D.
It was great fun to play and much appreciated for the last night entertainment after a summer camp.
You need to play it with someone you know very well - and both should be vaccinated ;)
October 9, 2021, 3:58 AM · Thanks for the replies, so far! I will check that piece out!
This is, of course, not the perfect thing for a pandemic, but this is not urgent, for me.
I found another interesting one, brilliantly performed, including face masks:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HIEDcGFlwpk
October 9, 2021, 6:19 AM · I doubt there's enough of a market for published music! But it shouldn't be too difficult to contrive an arrangement of e.g. Eine Kleine. Avoiding finger tangles and bow collisions would be the hardest thing.
Edited: October 9, 2021, 9:16 AM · PDQ Bach did a sonata for viola 4-hands and harpsichord. I played the keyboard part for my sister and her teacher. (She was hating the viola by then, and this was her last effort in that direction.)

One movement uses a hacksaw strung with nylon. A single long fishing line pulled by two assistants supplies the sound for the slow movement.

Edited: October 10, 2021, 2:38 AM · The Graaf duos - two actually if I remember correctly - are published.
October 12, 2021, 6:34 PM · Wonderful!

Of course, this discussion wouldn't be complete without the video of Walk off the Earth showing how five people can play one guitar.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Silent Violin
Yamaha Silent Violin

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Violinist.com Business Directory
Violinist.com Business Directory

Johansen International Competition

Antonio Strad Violin

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Bobelock Cases

Fiddlerman.com

Fiddlershop

Los Angeles Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Violin-Strings.com

Metzler Violin Shop

Leatherwood Bespoke Rosin

Warchal

Barenreiter

Johnson String Instrument and Carriage House Violins

Potter Violins

String Masters

Bein & Company

Annapolis Bows & Violins

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe