best violin brands & makers good for expression and emotional music

October 8, 2021, 5:46 AM · Hi,

I can say that I am a professional player. I perform weekly Turkish and middle east music that is full of expressions and emotional and I play classic music as well but not weekly on stage. Now I wanna buy a new violin and I need help. Handmade or factory? Is there any brand or maker known for making violins for emotional music? My budget is up to 5000$

Thanks in advance

Replies (7)

October 8, 2021, 5:59 AM · There is no easy formula. Try a lot of violins in and out of your budget to learn.

Where are you based? Do you have good shops to visit?

October 8, 2021, 6:42 PM · If your music is full of expression and emotion then I suspect you're more than capable of choosing a good violin.
In the sub 5k price range you should just seek something that you like. Brands mean very little.
October 9, 2021, 9:43 AM · The $5k maximum puts a severe limit on where you might find a maker. The rather vague tonal requirements is also concerning. Probably best to try out as many violins in your range as possible and find what suits you.
October 9, 2021, 10:23 AM · A Violin of $500 have poor sound? for example Yita violins. they are well known and well reviewed. i think a $5000 violin is like so much high grade, like the definitive violin someone can have. this violin will be your last one or you plan on upgrade even more later?
October 9, 2021, 10:39 AM · There are good German-made antiques in this price range. I got a really nice one for my daughter at $3500 and people say I overpaid at that price.
Edited: October 9, 2021, 11:55 AM · I know many excellent Turkish musicians. The emotion comes from you, not the violin. You could do justice, I would guess, to a finer instrument, but you'll do fine with that budget. Just play lots of violins and you will find your vehicle. I say vehicle because based on my friendship with people of Turkish extraction and your description of self and playing, you already have your voice.
p.s. Brands don't matter. Don't buy a label.
October 9, 2021, 6:38 PM · "p.s. Brands don't matter. Don't buy a label."

Very true; but on the flip-side, I got the impression that certain modern shops may have a "house-sound". E.g. most of the things I heard about Gliga is that they are generally dark. Heinrich Gill tends to QA their violins to a certain set of acoustic properties... In this sense, perhaps there is some relevance on labels.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Silent Violin
Yamaha Silent Violin

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Violinist.com Business Directory
Violinist.com Business Directory

Johansen International Competition

Antonio Strad Violin

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Bobelock Cases

Fiddlerman.com

Fiddlershop

Los Angeles Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Violin-Strings.com

Metzler Violin Shop

Leatherwood Bespoke Rosin

Warchal

Barenreiter

Johnson String Instrument and Carriage House Violins

Potter Violins

String Masters

Bein & Company

Annapolis Bows & Violins

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe