Fellow Korfker users help!

October 2, 2021, 7:29 PM · My Korfkercradle base snapped in half. I’m stunned!

I was curious if anyone has had their rest or cradle break and what did you do?!

I thought I had added it on my instrument insurance policy too. (Face in hands)

Replies (19)

October 2, 2021, 11:26 PM · I suggest getting in touch with Pirastro for help.
Edited: October 3, 2021, 7:08 AM · My brand-new Korfker shoulder rest snapped in half within the first minute I was adjusting it. I emailed Pirastro; they asked me to send photos of it; I did, and Pirastro replaced it.
October 3, 2021, 9:54 AM · They're going to work with me and I'll probably end up paying a small fee...totally worth it. Of course this happened the night before a performance!
October 3, 2021, 10:12 AM · I've been using the Korfker for some years now without any problems.
The wooden part is pliable up to a point. The use of excessive force would probably snap it. When adjusting the curve one has to be careful how much force to apply.
October 3, 2021, 12:28 PM · To clarify, Jamie is talking about her Korfker CRADLE base breaking, not the rest that sits on her shoulder. (Right?)
October 3, 2021, 12:29 PM · Funny, I bought one and it too snapped in half within the first minute. The online store replaced it. I do love it, so I still use it. Just be careful "bending" it. It's not as malleable as you think ;)
October 3, 2021, 1:00 PM · Mark, The OP asked, " I was curious if anyone had their REST OR CRADLE break and what did you do?!"
Edited: October 3, 2021, 1:15 PM · Bahaha, the most expensive shoulder rest in history spontaneously fails by breaking in half. Can't imagine a Kun ever breaking like that.

Pirastro will probably replace it for you—else gorrila glue will do the trick.

October 4, 2021, 11:06 AM · Hi Jamie,

I talked with Ed Mingo at Pirastro, and he said you should email Pirastro at sales@pirastro.com and also copy Ed at usa@pirastro.com. "We will gladly help them out with their broken KorfkerRest," he said.

I hope that helps!

October 4, 2021, 11:16 AM · Reminds me of the story they used to tell about the Rolls Royce that broke down (Rolls Royce repaired it immediately. When asked for the repair bill, they said "A Rolls Royce doesn't break down". Similarly, if a bank gave you too much change, you kept it, because banks do not make mistakes).
October 4, 2021, 11:24 AM · Thanks so much Laurie!
October 4, 2021, 3:45 PM · Jamie, you must have been the one that posted this on the facebook violinist group :P
October 7, 2021, 9:14 AM · I thought we had to heat the rest to "set" the new shape.
Or was it before bending it?
October 7, 2021, 2:02 PM · Adrian, do you mean a heating process as in resetting the camber of a bow?
October 8, 2021, 1:58 AM · Adrian, I believe the new model just bends, with no heat needed.
October 18, 2021, 8:20 AM · Erik, yes that was me!

Just gotta say Pirastro has amazing customer service and came through. My replacement base got here in 2 days time from Germany. I’ll definitely be a lifelong customer.

October 18, 2021, 8:53 PM · Pirastro has great customer service. They also always send string replacements direct from Germany in case one is faulty. Sometimes they also do favors for you, adding an additional string for a special request/question.

The only thing I am not too fond of is the modern discontinuation of most gauges for their synthetic strings, and their near abandonment of aluminum wound Ds. However, the newer Perpetual Cadenza kind of makes me forget all of those issues, it being such an excellent low tension synthetic.

October 19, 2021, 2:29 PM · I am intrigued by the cadenzas and needs to try some. I'm a hard user of Thomastik Infeld PIs....that's another thread in itself!
October 19, 2021, 7:12 PM · I just got my first Korfker Rest delivered today. Amazingly comfortable right out of the box. Makes a huge diff.

I love Thomastik PIs. But I've been using Eudoxas lately. Mr. Adalberto, how do the Perpetual Cadenza strings compare?

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Silent Violin
Yamaha Silent Violin

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Violinist.com Business Directory
Violinist.com Business Directory

Johansen International Competition

Antonio Strad Violin

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Bobelock Cases

Fiddlerman.com

Fiddlershop

Los Angeles Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Violin-Strings.com

Metzler Violin Shop

Leatherwood Bespoke Rosin

Warchal

Barenreiter

Johnson String Instrument and Carriage House Violins

Potter Violins

String Masters

Bein & Company

Annapolis Bows & Violins

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe