Trade in policy

September 30, 2021, 7:54 PM · I recently tried out a couple violins from Robertson’s about a week ago, and most were in my opinion, a little lackluster(I was trying violins in the 4-6k range), but one in particular I found had an brilliant and rich sound, a violin made by Christian Pedersen. The only thing that bugged me was the look, the were small holes within the varnish(not actual holes, just gaps where it didn’t match with the rest of the violin), and also a long mark that goes through one of the f holes. I’m wondering if any of you guys have experience with Robertson’s and their trade in policy. Would I be able to trade in this violin for another of the same maker if available?

Replies (14)

September 30, 2021, 8:05 PM · https://youtu.be/eVzvXUbhnEQ
Here is a video of the marks and holes in my violin.
September 30, 2021, 9:13 PM · My guess is that dealer trade-up policies are about what you paid for the previous violin. Of course you should ask for a letter of appraisal with the violin, and this letter should contain a verbose description of its appearance so that you are not blamed for causing those marks by mistreating the instrument somehow.

What are the white bits? Rosin flecks?

Edited: September 30, 2021, 9:23 PM · Paul: Yes the white specks is just rosin, I was in the middle of practicing. I do have a letter of appraisal, though I admit I do not understand most of it. It just states that the top “has varying narrow to medium width grain across”, which I have no idea what that means.
September 30, 2021, 10:39 PM · If they are selling the violin on consignment, then doubtful any shop will take it back as a trade in - but they will likely try and sell it for you (ask what their consignment fee is). If they own the violin outright, you might have a better chance at it - but obviously, just ask! This is a perfectly reasonable question only they can answer ;).
October 1, 2021, 7:10 AM · Isn't Pedersen the staff luthier there? If he's actively making they should be able to set you up with trials as new ones come available.

Are you going there in person or are they sending you things to try? All the music teachers love them and they'd be on my list of places to visit if I was traveling around the country to shop, but I found distance trials with them weird and a little frustrating...much better experience with some other places.

October 1, 2021, 7:49 AM · https://www.robertsonviolins.com/index.php?page=trade-in-warranty-policies
October 1, 2021, 4:05 PM · Note the last one on Robertson's list -- you can't transfer your trade-up value to a third party. At Potter your trade-up value goes by half when transferred to a third party. These policies are intended to keep other dealers from honoring a competitor's trade-up policy.
October 1, 2021, 4:44 PM · The marks look to me like the maker's "antiquing" to give it the look of older instruments. As others have said, Robertson's trade in policy is that if you buy the instrument from their inventory, they will accept it back for what you paid for it if you trade it in for another instrument in their inventory. In other words, if what you are trading in, or what you are trading in for is a consignment instrument, then it doesn't apply.
October 1, 2021, 5:43 PM · Yes Peterson is one of their in-house luthiers.

His hand-made violins are listed above $10,000, FYI.

October 1, 2021, 7:58 PM · Karl, sorry for my naivety, but what is a consignment instrument. If you are asking if I bought the instrument from Robertson’s directly, then yes I did. I used their approval program and had requested 3 violins in the 5-6k range sent to me and I bought one of them. Hope that clears anything up.
October 2, 2021, 10:45 AM · A consignment instrument is not part of the dealer's regular inventory. It is being sold by the dealer on behalf of its owner, usually for a very hefty cut of the sale (such as half).
Edited: October 2, 2021, 11:15 AM · Standard consignment is 25% for the dealer 35% tops, no one charges 50% unless it includes restoration and set up
October 2, 2021, 12:17 PM · I let a fractional cello go at 50% consignment but it did need a lot of work. Luthier said it needed a new bridge cut and the fingerboard planed. I was glad to be rid of it, as all my attempts at FSBO were fruitless.
October 2, 2021, 1:03 PM · Paul, I don't think that counts as 50% dealer fee.

I traded one cello for another from the same dealer - I got full credit for my original purchase price - minus a small repair fee for some minor blemish touch up.

I also had a bow on consignment at the dealer and I think the dealer cut was about 20%. You are paying the dealer for the exposure your item gets by being visible there. I actually tried to sell it twice - years apart - but took it back after a year each time.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Silent Violin
Yamaha Silent Violin

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Violinist.com Business Directory
Violinist.com Business Directory

Johansen International Competition

Antonio Strad Violin

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Bobelock Cases

Fiddlerman.com

Fiddlershop

Los Angeles Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Violin-Strings.com

Metzler Violin Shop

Leatherwood Bespoke Rosin

Warchal

Barenreiter

Johnson String Instrument and Carriage House Violins

Potter Violins

String Masters

Bein & Company

Annapolis Bows & Violins

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe