Sound quality in Cadenza app

Edited: September 28, 2021, 6:21 PM · Hi everyone

So I recently downloaded the Cadenza for iOS and decided to try subscribing for a month.

I really haven't done much playing with it yet, just some bits and pieces here and there, but I'm surprised no one in the earlier posts about this app has mentioned or discussed what I noticed instantly: The sound quality is quite horrible. I mean, I was not expecting it to sound like a recording from Deutsche Grammofon minus the solo part, but the sound I'm hearing is really unclear, vague, muddy and lacks all precision, especially in the orchestral parts. It's like I'm hearing music played from inside a cardboard box 50 meters away.

The sound I was expecting is something like the run-of-the-mill practice backing track recording you can find on various streaming services and Youtube etc, I guess you know more or less what I mean.

I am really disappointed since it has received so many positive comments here (and don't get me wrong, it's a very nice concept and does its job, at least with the piano accompaniments where the audio is less disturbing).

Am I missing something?

Replies (1)

September 28, 2021, 4:51 PM · That's basically the level it developed to. It works pretty well, but the pool of players who benefit from it most (more advanced players) is pretty small.

One of my wife's violin students and I helped to promote the app back in 2015 at ASTA (at the Shar Booth), and we had the team from Sonation, which was doing the development of the iOS app at the time, visit to do presentations for various schools and youth orchestras. They were very innovative and we had a wonderful time working with them as they pushed their app through beta testing. However, Sonation was not successful due to a variety of timing, technology, and market factors and when they shut down, the licensing of the code base from the inventor ended as well.

I checked it out again recently, in the current version from Metamusic, and it's still pretty much the same. So long as the application depends on the time-stretching of accompaniment audio based on detection markers, that is the quality you're going to get. Certainly, a product that generates the track in real-time using a good software library like the ones from Spitfire Audio or Orchestral Tools would be better, but that's a lot more space, computing power, and licensing costs.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Silent Violin
Yamaha Silent Violin

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Violinist.com Business Directory
Violinist.com Business Directory

Johansen International Competition

Antonio Strad Violin

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Bobelock Cases

Fiddlerman.com

Fiddlershop

Los Angeles Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Violin-Strings.com

Metzler Violin Shop

Leatherwood Bespoke Rosin

Warchal

Barenreiter

Johnson String Instrument and Carriage House Violins

Potter Violins

String Masters

Bein & Company

Annapolis Bows & Violins

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe