Wonderful composer

Edited: September 26, 2021, 4:26 PM · I just heard a wonderful 'Spanish Dance' violin solo on the radio by 'Sahra Sati'. I wonder if anyone knows anything more about this talented composer and if she has written anything else notable?

Replies (20)

September 26, 2021, 6:01 PM · Has she worked with Vy Niovsky, by chance?
Edited: September 26, 2021, 7:11 PM · https://imslp.org/wiki/Spanish_Dances%2C_Op.21_(Sarasate%2C_Pablo_de)

Pablo de Sarasate
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Background information
Birth name Pablo Martín Melitón de Sarasate y Navascués
Born 10 March 1844
Pamplona, Spanish Empire
Died 20 September 1908 (aged 64)
Biarritz, France
Genres Classical, Romantic
Occupation(s) Violinist, composer, conductor
Years active 1852–1904
Pablo Martín Melitón de Sarasate y Navascués (Spanish pronunciation: ['paßlo sa?a'sate]; 10 March 1844 – 20 September 1908), commonly known as Pablo de Sarasate, was a Spanish (Basque) violin virtuoso, composer and conductor of the Romantic period. His best known works include Zigeunerweisen (Gypsy Airs), the Spanish Dances, and the Carmen Fantasy.[1]

September 27, 2021, 2:23 PM · So what are you saying Erin?
September 27, 2021, 4:36 PM · she reminds me of Mal O'Guena
September 27, 2021, 4:52 PM · This the one that Mamie O'Graff kept copying?
Edited: September 27, 2021, 5:13 PM · Elise, I am saying 'Sahra Sati' is Pablo de Sarasate; he wrote the wonderful Spanish Dance you heard, in addition to some other beloved pieces. I gave you the web address of IMSLP, a free online music source, where you can find and download the scores of music he composed.
Edited: September 27, 2021, 5:15 PM · [Christian, Tom, Stephen: You guys are too funny!]
Edited: September 28, 2021, 12:41 AM · Elise, it looks like you may have had a little lapse and misheard what the radio announcer said, or the radio announcer had a little lapse. Edit: Or you are having an innocent troll at our expense (in which case, I salute you!)

Erin, I always appreciate someone recognizing the hard work I put into my craft!

September 27, 2021, 6:50 PM · Oh, what a wild goose chase I've been on. This is too funny. My not knowing many composers' names is a real drawback sometimes.
September 27, 2021, 7:31 PM · YouTube: Sarasate Eight Spanish Dances
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fWg78IKkbB4
September 27, 2021, 8:43 PM · Erin, Thank you.
September 27, 2021, 8:49 PM · ??
Trying to use the eye roll emoji......
September 27, 2021, 8:51 PM · This forum only allows English. I once tried to make a cutesy smiley face with katakana characters, and my hard work got reduced to ??.
September 27, 2021, 8:59 PM · ;)
September 27, 2021, 9:34 PM · LOL.

Just LOLOLOLOL.

Edited: September 28, 2021, 1:03 AM · Never mind Elise. My partner doesn't get my jokes unless I wink
September 28, 2021, 8:43 AM · Hi Steve - its the presumption of ignorance that ends up being the funniest. BTW I spent 20 years like you - then traded in for a funny model and never stopped laughing. Not to say that is the only strategy....
Edited: September 28, 2021, 9:55 AM · Elise - I've spent 40 happy years like me (not to speak of the rest) and I guess my jokes get the response they deserve.
September 28, 2021, 11:06 AM · LOL! And so, I guess, did mine... :P
September 28, 2021, 11:07 AM · BTW the story is real.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Silent Violin
Yamaha Silent Violin

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Violinist.com Business Directory
Violinist.com Business Directory

Johansen International Competition

Antonio Strad Violin

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Bobelock Cases

Fiddlerman.com

Fiddlershop

Los Angeles Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Violin-Strings.com

Metzler Violin Shop

Leatherwood Bespoke Rosin

Warchal

Barenreiter

Johnson String Instrument and Carriage House Violins

Potter Violins

String Masters

Bein & Company

Annapolis Bows & Violins

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe