Wieniawski's Polonaise de Concert, Op.4 - Wilhemj Edition

Edited: September 24, 2021, 4:41 PM · I'm curious to know more about Wilhelmj's edition of Wieniawski's Polonaise de Concert, Opus 4. I prefer it over the original version. Aaron Rosand and Nathan Milstein are two that come to mind who preferred (and recorded) this edition also. It's currently out of print, though you can download it from:

https://ks4.imslp.info/files/imglnks/usimg/f/f6/IMSLP87735-PMLP27195-Wieniawski_Wilhelmj_Polonaise_op4_Violin.pdf

Thank you!

Replies (7)

Edited: September 25, 2021, 6:32 PM · Mr. Saldarriaga,

Do you know of the polish Wieniawski urtext edition of Op. 4? It has an insert with a French version which changes the tenths section before the last recap, and some other repetitions (if I remember correctly-may double-check later.)

What I find is that many players combine versions (original with French, etc.) or do whatever works for them with the piece. May be in the spirit of the work, to be honest. If you find that Milstein's choices work for you, I think it is fine despite any minor differences compared to the original manuscript. Perhaps (likely, even?) Wieniawski would vary his own performances as well?

I am indeed not happy many editions go out of print. It is one of the reasons that I am "modern" but does not necessarily love all that a "modern world" entails. Even if out of copyright, someone should keep making at least a few copies of these old editors' works (not to mention the number of Concertos that are not available anymore other than on EBay/similar services-$$$).

September 28, 2021, 9:38 AM · Thank you, Adalberto, for your attention and kind reply. I do have the original version published by PWM. However, it is a shame that Schott no longer publishes the Wilhelmj edition. Ivry Gitlis also plays the Wilhelmj version. You can find it on YouTube. It's crazy amazing!
September 30, 2021, 11:07 PM · I agree that the performance is great!

That said, I have heard so many versions that nothing he did was "new" to me. His bravura playing was what stood out the most. I also was not listening with any score on hand.

Perhaps I should just check a Wilhemj score online, and compare it with my own PWM edition.

September 30, 2021, 11:26 PM · greetings,
Gitlis was the 4th rider alongside Heifetz-Milstein-Oistrakh, except he was cheerfully mounted on a dragon wearing a tutu.
Cheers,
Buri
October 1, 2021, 1:21 AM · Heifetz-Milstein-Oistrakh-Kogan
October 1, 2021, 3:35 AM · oh no. i was hoping everyone would have the nous not to start a ‘i like this violinist better than that one’ …….gonna go practice for once.
Edited: October 1, 2021, 12:58 PM · A Herculean task. Expecting people to not do that is like Sisyphus expecting to drive any meaning from his plight.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Silent Violin
Yamaha Silent Violin

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Violinist.com Business Directory
Violinist.com Business Directory

Johansen International Competition

Antonio Strad Violin

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Bobelock Cases

Fiddlerman.com

Fiddlershop

Los Angeles Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Violin-Strings.com

Metzler Violin Shop

Leatherwood Bespoke Rosin

Warchal

Barenreiter

Johnson String Instrument and Carriage House Violins

Potter Violins

String Masters

Bein & Company

Annapolis Bows & Violins

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe