Sheet Music Separator System

Edited: September 23, 2021, 2:05 PM · I'm looking for a good sheet music separator system to keep my extensive sheet music library upright. Any suggestions?

Replies (4)

September 23, 2021, 2:39 PM · This is a very difficult problem because sheet music tends to get bent (or bends itself) in all sorts of ways when forced to stay upright for storage. Sheet music--unlike books, even paperbacks--is very floppy. Which is why one generally stores it lying flat in piles.
Edited: September 23, 2021, 4:04 PM · I agree with Albrecht. You'd almost need a vertical separator for every item. And then your shelf volume is probably half separators. Pendaflex (hanging files) do not work either -- they ruin your music.

What I do is assign each item a sequential number. I add an "F" for anything that is oversized ("F" stands for Folio). These are stored in a separate shelf so that all my shelves don't have to be so big. The numbers can be assigned to pieces entirely randomly. Then, my catalog (a simple spreadsheet) contains the sequential number in one of the columns. The sheet can be sorted or searched in myriad ways, and then the deliverable is the sequential number -- you go to the shelf where everything is stored in numerical order and in vertical stacks, and there it is. My spreadsheet is a Google Sheet which I can get on any device including my phone so it's quite handy.

Eventually I'll go all digital but I'm just not there yet.

Edited: September 24, 2021, 8:46 AM · I started "vertical filing" about 50 years ago but that tends to bend the music and I ran out of space after 30 years. So I switched to a 3'x6' bookcase with 6 shelves that store 18 cubic feet of music lying flat in stacks. Each category has a separate stack on a shelf.

That has filled up in the past decade so I've been getting sloppy trying to store music for different instruments (violin, viola and cello and piano accompaniments) in separate carrying cases and a couple of bankers boxes of piano trios in the garage.

The filling of the "files" has slowed down with the recent reduction in new ensemble music (Covid - you know?). And I'm getting too old to worry about it.

September 23, 2021, 5:56 PM · I use book ends on my shelves. Works just fine.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Silent Violin
Yamaha Silent Violin

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Violinist.com Business Directory
Violinist.com Business Directory

Johansen International Competition

Antonio Strad Violin

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Bobelock Cases

Fiddlerman.com

Fiddlershop

Los Angeles Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Violin-Strings.com

Metzler Violin Shop

Leatherwood Bespoke Rosin

Warchal

Barenreiter

Johnson String Instrument and Carriage House Violins

Potter Violins

String Masters

Bein & Company

Annapolis Bows & Violins

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe