Super light violin case

September 19, 2021, 1:00 PM · Can you please let me know what is the lightest violin case you have come across. We have one for travel, but need one for carrying around all day.
Many thanks for sharing your findings. Much appreciated!

Replies (27)

September 19, 2021, 1:09 PM · Musafia Lievissima is excellent, and also very light. Highly recommend!
September 19, 2021, 1:21 PM · With a couple discounted on their website just now.
September 19, 2021, 1:31 PM · Thank you both. Will check them out.
September 19, 2021, 4:20 PM · The lightest of all cases probably is the Bam cabin case, but it will not be the one you're looking for since it cannot hold a bow, and it's way overprized.

Nevertheless, it's one of the very few cases that officially fit the size of most airlines hand luggage limits. A bow could be safely packed within a solid plastic tube inside the suitcase. Has anyone personal experience with this model?

September 19, 2021, 4:27 PM · If I were going to go that route, I'd spring for a Musafia Master Versatus. Not as cheap, but I'd trust it to handle any knocks or change of climate along the way.
September 19, 2021, 4:48 PM · I think the lightest cases are the cheapest Styrofoam core zipper cases, but they do next to nothing to protect the violin in case of accident.
Edited: September 19, 2021, 5:49 PM · Howard Core sells a Super Light violin case that’s very light but also decent. It is a foam core case, so it’s not nearly as tough as a plywood or fiberglass case, but it’s easy to carry. We’ve sold lots of them to customers wanting lightweight cases and haven’t had complaints afterward. A lot of people love the burgundy option—it stands out without being too flashy.
September 20, 2021, 7:04 AM · My younger and very petite violinist (4'11") uses a Revelle Crosstech case. This was purchased for her when she got her 3/4 because it is easily adjustable between 3/4 and full size. She was literally falling over with other cases due to their size and weight. It's not the most protective case in the world, but it is easy to carry, especially if you are petite.
September 20, 2021, 7:04 AM · My younger and very petite violinist (4'11") uses a Revelle Crosstech case. This was purchased for her when she got her 3/4 because it is easily adjustable between 3/4 and full size. She was literally falling over with other cases due to their size and weight. It's not the most protective case in the world, but it is easy to carry, especially if you are petite.
September 20, 2021, 9:56 PM · I use a Gewa Air 1.7 Shaped violin case, that's pretty light and still offers decent protection.
September 21, 2021, 4:47 PM · The OP needs to be clear on what her priority is: weight or protection. Some of the posters have responded with cases offering some of both, but it might help if we knew the OP's relative priority for the two considerations.
September 22, 2021, 1:18 AM · Realistically, if one cares about his/her instrument, the priority should be both lightness and protection. Weight is relative - ask a cellist or a bassist how many kgs they lug around.

A lightweight case which provides sufficient protection is infinitely preferable over a lighter one which offers less protection.

Edited: September 22, 2021, 1:46 AM · I have a Mufasa Luxury Ultralight violin case that I bought used. This case is very light, can fit a lot inside the half triangle compartment, and looks very pleasing (I have green). If you can find a used Musafia case that you can inspect beforehand, that is probably going to net the best cost-return ratio.
September 22, 2021, 1:59 AM · I would add Riboni to the list.
Edited: September 22, 2021, 4:11 AM · Some styrofoam cases are described as "hardcases".
I've got one of these: -
https://www.hidersine.com/accessories/cases/product/70-violin-superlight-d-shaped-case

So has my teacher for her 18th century viola.
I apologise that I don't know the weight.

It won't protect your violin if a russian tank runs over it. But then neither will a Musafia, I suppose.

You have to decide what risks you are running and what you need to protect against them: -will you carry it on your back to school on public transport, or will you strap it to the back of a bicycle and ride in heavy traffic?

September 22, 2021, 4:22 AM · Mike,

in the Disney's film "King Lion" they had a Mufasa too ! :D

October 7, 2021, 12:15 PM · I love my “Riboni - Uno e Otto” which means 1.8 in Italian and that's its weight in kg. The backpack straps are nice and I used it commuting to work and my lessons on the train and subway.
Edited: October 7, 2021, 5:12 PM · @Dimitri ... "ask a cellist or a bassist how many kgs they lug around"

Answer: Lugging kgs, which I found was rapidly becoming age-related, was one reason, amongst others, why I moved over from cello to violin in my orchestras a few years ago.

October 8, 2021, 1:33 AM · @Michael, for the record your translation of Italian is correct, but the case actually weighs 2.0 kg.
October 9, 2021, 2:11 PM · do carbon fiber cases are lighter? ou heavier?
October 9, 2021, 4:53 PM · Maybe "Due e basta" didn't sound so good ..... :D
October 9, 2021, 6:27 PM · So far, I have only got BAM shaped cases, most of them runs in the 1.7-1.8kg range. Strong, purportedly climate sealed, and have a good internal form-filled suspension system.
October 10, 2021, 4:14 AM · @Marco, maybe a cremonese dialect version would be better: "Du e raanget" ("two and deal with it") ;-)
October 10, 2021, 5:07 AM · Living in Veneto, i could make a custom order for a model named "Du scarsòti purassè" ("two lacking quite a bit") :D :D
October 10, 2021, 1:50 PM · Do you expect those to sell better to men or women?
October 10, 2021, 6:54 PM · Riboni Uno e Otto, or as Musafia Levissima. The Riboni feels like it weighs next to nothing.
October 12, 2021, 12:49 AM · @Stephen, I think the market would be unisex but rather limited to those over 70 who live outside of big cities. Oh, and they have to play the violin too. :-)

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Silent Violin
Yamaha Silent Violin

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Violinist.com Business Directory
Violinist.com Business Directory

Johansen International Competition

Antonio Strad Violin

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Bobelock Cases

Fiddlerman.com

Fiddlershop

Los Angeles Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Violin-Strings.com

Metzler Violin Shop

Leatherwood Bespoke Rosin

Warchal

Barenreiter

Johnson String Instrument and Carriage House Violins

Potter Violins

String Masters

Bein & Company

Annapolis Bows & Violins

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe