I saw an ad...but I cannot find it any more.

September 13, 2021, 8:42 PM · I saw an ad somewhere for a pad (it looked like rubber) that attached to the back of the violin with suction? and and had a non stick opposite surface that kept the violin from slipping on clothing. It was quite thin. I normally play with no shoulder rest or pad but I cannot play with a suit jacket or dress shirt without worrying a lot about slipping. I cannot find the ad. Please respond with a link or the company name. Thanks!!!!

Replies (15)

September 13, 2021, 8:52 PM · How about the "gelrest micro shoulder rest."
September 13, 2021, 9:13 PM · Musicians should unite and have done with suit jackets and tuxedos for performances. The need for a completely homogeneous appearance of all the performers went away when orchestras started hiring women anyway.
September 13, 2021, 9:27 PM · I agree with Paul. One practises to be comfortable. In rehearsals one is comfortable. That is thrown straight out the window when it comes to performance
September 13, 2021, 10:35 PM · 30 years ago, when I was auditioning conductors for our community orchestra I drove the 110 miles to where one of those being considered was conducting another of his orchestras.

What I recall about that concert was one of the first violinists sitting in an outside chair wearing a very short skirt (a woman for whom such a skirt ws in poor taste!). Ever since then and for the 40 years before I have always felt that some uniformity of dress in a performing ensemble is a good idea because it reduces distractions. Same goes for certain other standards of dress.

By the way - that is the conductor we hired - and last I checked he is still conducting my old orchestra - 26 years after I moved away.

Edited: September 14, 2021, 1:21 AM · You could investiage the Xeros foam shoulder cushions that Shar Music has. Personally I would not glue anything to the back of my violin, but clearly people do. I understand the foam is quite grippy so therefore quite good.

There are dozens of foam ones that attach with rubber bands, a quick google search shows many.

There is also the Acoustagrip:

https://www.acoustagrip.com

September 14, 2021, 1:42 AM · Greetings,
I tried the Exeros. It’s a nice, unobtrusive bit of support. However, for me at least, it did not remotely live up to its claim of staying on the instrument. I had no choice but to use an elastic band with it. It didn’t damage the instrument in anyway as far as I could discern.
Cheers,
Buri
Edited: September 14, 2021, 2:22 AM · I believe this fits your description, but not sure if its the ad/brand you saw.

https://dolfinos.com/products/the-pure-grip-pad

I saw a video of violinist Nathan Cole using a piece of leather and thats what I have used for the past 4 months.

September 14, 2021, 2:42 AM · https://fiddlershop.com/products/gelrest-micro?_pos=2&_sid=97a2a4147&_ss=r
Edited: September 14, 2021, 5:29 AM · Paul: full agreement that less 'stuffed shirt' wear is desirable. You see a move towards this in several HIP groups. My local opera orchestra play in black, no ties, in the orchestra pit, but they do go full evening dress for concerts.

Andrew: are you familiar with Maria Callas' lesson on the overly-short skirt?

September 14, 2021, 10:55 AM · Richard - no, I am not!
September 14, 2021, 11:30 AM · Here it is Andrew: 'enjoy!' as people say nowadays! I don't know how to embed a video so it's a link.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xwGuvhjo1Sw

Edited: September 15, 2021, 7:23 AM · Thank you Richard. I think I will not spend the 15 minutes - I'm sorry for leading to the diversion.

But, getting back to the subject at hand - there is also the "Acoustifoam" (that is not foam) and does not stick to the instrument but uses a rubber band.

I have tried all of these devices (and still have them) and suggest that "you pays your money and takes your chance!" They all work, but what works best for each player will vary. I have seen the Acoustagrip used on a $100,000 violin for years and no harm was done.

Most of these "adhesive" devices actually use microsuction that are just like tiny suction cups too small for most naked eyes to discern. If I had an instrument with varnish that imprinted easily from my fingerprints or from cloth I probably would not use one of these suction devices - but that is not my situation

Edited: September 14, 2021, 5:54 PM · Carlos Bojorquez, thank you. I think that is it. I have already placed my order for the Dolfinos Pure Grip Pad. I will report back when it arrived.

Laurie, the owe you some money for facilitating this recall.

September 14, 2021, 10:40 PM · https://dolfinos.com/collections/dolfinos-pure-edition/products/the-pure-grip-pad?fbclid=IwAR3MZlk5b7MlpESx-45eZLlbI6zBsgea8HU-FB5Z52Gs93fu__tz5p6ETtE

Corwin, I think you were referring to this...

September 14, 2021, 11:01 PM · "Most of these "adhesive" devices actually use microsuction that are just like tiny suction cups too small for most naked eyes to discern. If I had an instrument with varnish that imprinted easily from my fingerprints or from cloth I probably would not use one of these suction devices - but that is not my situation"

I asked Fiddlerman about this. The gel pad is his favoured shoulder rest on his expensive violin, but your point about fingerprints is a good one.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Silent Violin
Yamaha Silent Violin

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Virtual Sejong Music Competition
Virtual Sejong Music Competition

Violinist.com Business Directory
Violinist.com Business Directory

Antonio Strad Violin

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Bobelock Cases

Fiddlerman.com

Fiddlershop

Los Angeles Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Violin-Strings.com

Metzler Violin Shop

Leatherwood Bespoke Rosin

Warchal

Barenreiter

Johnson String Instrument and Carriage House Violins

Potter Violins

String Masters

Bein & Company

Annapolis Bows & Violins

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe