Yamaha violin kit

September 11, 2021, 2:02 AM · Have someone tried a Yamaha violin kit for 700 euro. It is for my students. Magnus Lindgård

Replies (8)

September 11, 2021, 3:50 AM · I own a Yamaha v5 kit (around €400). It's good for the price. But:

(1) The instrument is on the bright-shrill side and the strings that come with the it are terrible. I ended up settling on Violino strings which are designed precisely to take out part of that shrillness. And my instrument sounds much more pleasant with them.

(2) The bow is bad too. I learnt the first few things with it and soon I bought a €350 bow which is a modest thing but makes a huge difference with what I had before.

(3) I think that with Yamaha violins you get a correct instrument for the price. It will never be outstanding, but it's solid for learning.

September 11, 2021, 6:49 AM · Ok thank you for your thoughts
September 11, 2021, 10:39 AM · I'm going to bet that the Yamaha name doesn't lend any more bang for the buck than any other well-established brand of student violin kit. It's also very important to buy it from a reputable dealer that will take the time to set up the instrument properly and make suitable adjustments to the nut, bridge, sound post, and other fittings.
Edited: September 11, 2021, 4:32 PM · I understand that there is one "established brand of musical instruments" that years ago sold violins that are worth considering. That is CONN!

They are well known for band instruments but I never knew they also produced string instruments until I found one for sale in a local pawn shop for $600. That led me to GOOGLE CONN violins (check them out yourself!) and I found a dealer 45 minutes away (Loveland) who had sold some. I called him and he offered me $1,000 if I would buy it and sell it to him. I said I didn't want to do that because chances were once I bought it I would likely keep it and I did not need any more violins. So he sent a friend down to buy it for him - but I was very surprised when he sent me a $100 finder's fee.

If the information availabl on line is correct the CONN instrument company was founded during the American Civil War and for some time during the early 20th century they employed some Italian violin makers. Prices today seem to range around $3,500 - $5,000.

It might be a well-kept secret as were E.H. Roth violins 30 years ago. I had a student at the time who bought a 1926 (or so) EH Roth that he found, during a road trip, in a pawn shop in Nevada for $125 even when retail prices had risen to over $1,200.

September 11, 2021, 1:53 PM · I have a 2009 Yamaha v5, and it originally sounded a little nasally to me. But with better strings and a new bow it sounds pretty nice. Now my daughter uses it in her high school orchestra. I got it used for about $300 US, so I consider it a good value.
September 11, 2021, 2:42 PM · I had no idea Conn sold violins. I thought it was strictly a trombone kind of outfit.
September 11, 2021, 6:50 PM · Conn's violin division is now called Scherl and Roth.
September 11, 2021, 10:09 PM · I haven't tried that instrument but I would like to. It looks like they make a nice instrument from the photos I've seen. I downloaded a copy of the owners manual and there is a lot of helpful information on changing strings and checking the bridge position.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Silent Violin
Yamaha Silent Violin

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Virtual Sejong Music Competition
Virtual Sejong Music Competition

Violinist.com Business Directory
Violinist.com Business Directory

Antonio Strad Violin

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Bobelock Cases

Fiddlerman.com

Fiddlershop

Los Angeles Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Violin-Strings.com

Metzler Violin Shop

Leatherwood Bespoke Rosin

Warchal

Barenreiter

Johnson String Instrument and Carriage House Violins

Potter Violins

String Masters

Bein & Company

Annapolis Bows & Violins

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe