First professional orchestra

September 10, 2021, 3:35 PM · I am proud of my little girl. She's missed two summers of festivals because of the pandemic at a fairly critical age, so she decided to audition for the subs list in what is the closest thing here to a freeway philharmonic, https://www.chamberorchestraofthetriangle.org/. When the audition results came back, instead of the subs list, she was invited to play the season on an educational fellowship that normally goes to a college kid, with full pay. It's a small orchestra with something like 40 musicians and only 4 in her section, so they get to perform some neat repertoire; concerts are in a wonderfully restored, historic downtown theater from the 1920s. It will be a wonderful extension beyond the very good youth orchestras she's been part of, and a good glimpse into the performing lives of professional musicians. After so much missed last year and this year, we are grateful to have a special opportunity like this!

Replies (14)

September 10, 2021, 3:40 PM · Congratulations!!!
September 10, 2021, 3:51 PM · This is fantastic to read, bravo!
September 10, 2021, 4:05 PM · Congrats! This sounds aesome :)
September 10, 2021, 4:20 PM · That's impressive! (How old is your daughter? I'm guessing more likely to be 16 than to be 12 ;) )
Edited: September 10, 2021, 4:25 PM · Well, thanks! It will be a big change from youth orchestras where they perform just a few times and learn the pieces sitting in rehearsals over several months; this is the real world! :-) And some really neat repertoire.

Edit: Chris she will be 16 in a couple of months, just started 11th grade.

September 10, 2021, 4:37 PM · Congratulations!
September 10, 2021, 7:36 PM · Oh that’s wonderful! Glad for some good news in times like these. Congratulations…
September 10, 2021, 7:40 PM · That is really great - and she is old enough to fully gain from the experience and gain life-long lessons.
Edited: September 11, 2021, 10:39 AM · RTP is not an area that is known for being full of dimwits and slouches, so I can imagine "chamber orchestra of the triangle" being quite a good group. Congratulations!
September 10, 2021, 9:29 PM · Congrats! Nothing quite like a chamber orchestra to teach proper preparation!
September 10, 2021, 9:31 PM · Congrats!!!
September 11, 2021, 4:26 AM · That is very impressive, I am sure she deserves it! Congratulations!
September 11, 2021, 9:02 AM · Congratulations! What a nice accomplishment and a great experience!
September 11, 2021, 12:52 PM · Congrats!!

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Silent Violin
Yamaha Silent Violin

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Virtual Sejong Music Competition
Virtual Sejong Music Competition

Violinist.com Business Directory
Violinist.com Business Directory

Antonio Strad Violin

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Bobelock Cases

Fiddlerman.com

Fiddlershop

Los Angeles Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Violin-Strings.com

Metzler Violin Shop

Leatherwood Bespoke Rosin

Warchal

Barenreiter

Johnson String Instrument and Carriage House Violins

Potter Violins

String Masters

Bein & Company

Annapolis Bows & Violins

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe