Two teachers share one studio in music college

September 6, 2021, 8:04 PM · Hi,

I am going to apply music college, but I found some colleges have a studio shared by two teachers. If I will be accepted by this kind of studio, will I study with both teachers, two lessons per week? If I am accepted by teacher A/B studio, one lesson with teacher A per week, and one lesson with teacher B per week? I think usually college student only one private lesson per week.

Thanks,
Tom

Replies (13)

September 6, 2021, 9:04 PM · Where I went to college there were a few teaching rooms that rotated among adjunct faculty. The violin teacher was only there a couple of days a week at most. It would be weird to have lessons with two different teachers every week.
September 6, 2021, 11:31 PM · There was a viola studio made up 2 professor where I did my undergrad since combined there were maybe 30 or so students. They split the students between them. Not sure if it was 50/50 but it was for sure roughly even.
September 7, 2021, 8:04 AM · From what I have seen, it varies quite a bit, so your best bet is to ask.

The most common one I have seen is a master teacher and junior teacher sharing a studio. The master teacher gives lessons infrequently, usually about once a month, and the junior teacher fills in the rest of the weekly lessons.

Another one I have seen is when a teacher does not want to teach scales/etudes or wants some students to have extra help with technique. In this situation, you do end up with two lessons per week, one from your teacher primarily on repertoire, and the other from an assistant teacher on technique.

And a third model I have seen is the teacher who teaches at two very distant facilities. In this instance, you may have lessons every other week with that teacher, while the other teacher fills in the missing weeks.

September 7, 2021, 4:57 PM · Thanks everyone for providing the answers.
Edited: September 7, 2021, 5:28 PM · I don’t agree with this system unless it’s a professor sharing his/her duties occasionally with a TA who studied with the professor and is familiar with his/her teaching. In most cases, having 2 different teachers at the same time will present you with conflicting ideas and can be a complete disaster.This is the main reason I decided not to go to a well known music school where I was expected to work with 2 teachers with very different approaches.
September 7, 2021, 11:02 PM · Thank you very much, Nate
September 8, 2021, 12:08 AM · Yeah that’s why I mentioned that the viola studio from that University split the students so that they didn’t both teach them. Although It’s still weird that they have a studio class together because they do have differing opinions and I imagine that they butt heads every once in a while. They could certainly just have studio class separately. Oh well it wasn’t my problem I was there as a violin performance major.
September 8, 2021, 9:58 AM · To clarify if needed:

STUDIO (in the conservatory context) =/= TEACHING ROOM.

Edited: September 8, 2021, 10:05 AM · I suspect it is simply a time-share situation on different days, but I agree with Nate: two alternating teachers will want the same things, but have widely different ways and sequences to achieve them. This is quite different from benefiting from a summer camp with a very different teacher for a week or two.
September 8, 2021, 10:15 AM · Stephen, what does = / = mean?
Edited: September 8, 2021, 1:55 PM · The opposite of "=". I don't have infinite virtuosity with symbol notation on keyboards.
September 8, 2021, 2:11 PM · "Does not equal" is perfectly understandable too.
September 9, 2021, 10:19 AM · My preferred notation is:

!=

But that's even more uncommon.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Silent Violin
Yamaha Silent Violin

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Virtual Sejong Music Competition
Virtual Sejong Music Competition

Violinist.com Business Directory
Violinist.com Business Directory

Antonio Strad Violin

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Bobelock Cases

Fiddlerman.com

Fiddlershop

Los Angeles Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Violin-Strings.com

Metzler Violin Shop

Leatherwood Bespoke Rosin

Warchal

Barenreiter

Johnson String Instrument and Carriage House Violins

Potter Violins

String Masters

Bein & Company

Annapolis Bows & Violins

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe