Pirastro Perpetual Cadenza

Edited: September 5, 2021, 11:57 PM · Adalberto and Victor have already posted in other threads about these new strings; I thought I'd consolidate discussion by starting a new thread.

I've had these on for a few weeks now and have been enjoying them quite a bit! My instrument is quite sensitive to high tension strings, and previously the strings I enjoyed playing on the most were Dominant (normal and light gauges) and Eudoxa (same gauges), with aluminum D strings. When using new high tension synthetics like Rondo and Perpetual my violin can make an enormous sound but the effort involved is way too tiring (I'm speaking as an orchestral player). With Rondo I also had occasional issues with squealing when trying to play softly, although the sound overall was lovely. The normal Perpetual's saving grace was that it allowed me to confidently transition to soft dynamics and contact points without fear (something Eudoxas do for me as well).

The new Perpetual Cadenza strings keep this quality, while noticeably reducing the weight needed to play close to the bridge. The response is the best I've had with synthetic strings, allowing me to use all my contact points for different sound qualities without fear.

Sound wise, it is full sounding and round without being piercing (emphasis on high overtones) or hollow (balanced towards low tones). For comparison, I've found Passione to be more focused and piercing, and Dominant Pro to be more hollow sounding. Evah Pirazzi seemed piercing with more "noise" or texture to the sound, and Rondo was nicely balanced but with worse response.

Compared to Dominants, the response is noticeably smoother and the sound is stronger, while having a similar balance.

The tension of Eudoxas is still noticeably lower, although the A string is the only PC string that made me notice the higher tension. The sound of Eudoxa is much more textured/complex, although I do find the PC to be more textured than Passione, which I found to be very focused.

I really think that an aluminum D string would help approximate the sound of Eudoxa, but unfortunately Pirastro seems to have given up on them. I do find that PC silver D to be the best responding silver D on my instrument, however. Normally my instrument hates silver D strings, but the Perpetual Cadenza responds great. As an aside, I was excited by the marketing for the Dominant Pro silver D, which claimed to solve response issues. In practice I didn't find it better than older options. The PC silver D on the other hand does deliver.

In summary, I would recommend these strings to someone who desires a well balanced sound and wants better response/ less pressure. I think it would do well on very nice instruments that don't need artificial "boosts" to the sound and don't need too much weight to produce a robust sound. If your instrument lacks depth or has problems accepting the weight of your bow you should probably look at the higher tension options.

Replies (22)

September 6, 2021, 3:51 PM · what, there's a special edition of the special edition now? How many times can you make the best string ever for a half-millenium-old instrument?
They really are following the Apple formula.
September 6, 2021, 4:02 PM · Cotton, if I'm not mistaken, they're just a lower tension version of the perpetuals, which was much needed in my opinion.

OP, where did you buy them? I had searched a few weeks go and couldn't find them anywhere.

Edited: September 6, 2021, 4:13 PM · Johnson Strings will sell them-- today only, 20% off.

promo code: LABOR2021

Edited: September 6, 2021, 9:16 PM · I'm based in Hong Kong, so I'm afraid I can't help you order one. The music shops here order directly from Pirastro (people here don't buy normally strings online) so once the release date was set I requested a couple sets from my favorite shop.

And Cotton, I didn't say these are the best strings ever, nor are they or regular Perpetual special edition in any way (are you thinking about Rondo?). I think they are special in that they are lower tension (let's say "medium tension") than normal new strings from the "big brands" while giving in abundance the benefits of synthetic strings (tuning stability, smooth response, etc).

Edited: September 8, 2021, 3:40 AM · Still in my honeymoon period with the (Perpetual) Cadenza, but wow, they are impressive synthetics. It is not just power but their tone. Very addictive quality, lots of (perhaps expected) new string ring. Great response for a modern synthetic! Reminds me a bit of Eudoxa with a slight "digital edge", synthetic touch. Not as hollow as EP tend to be. Lots of "upper mids" which I miss in even good synthetics. Dominant are also fairly clear but then do not have as complex a tone like this. A champion of synthetics, IMHO.

They can be very dynamic with expressive bowing. Not as much as a good gut string, but a very nuanced bow response is quite possible. They used to claim this with EP at first, but with this Cadenza, it is really possible.

They do have a "sound", but I can hear my violin's voice through it, whereas some famous strings do attach a lot of their personality to whatever instrument is played. I guess it is a bit subjective and depends on instruments, violinists, and other variables. Not a true Eudoxa substitute, but well worth the positives.

Highly recommend them unless you need/prefer a)plain gut/wound gut strings, or b)must have a higher tension setup. As far as I am concerned, this is "the" synthetic option for me.

(Minor bonus aesthetic points for the beautiful maroon colors at the tailpiece.)

(More bonus points for them not being the priciest in the market. Expensive, but not absurd.)

I would suggest for those of you who using this type of string would theoretically make sense to try them if/whenever you are able to (obviously if you are open to synthetics-if not that is fine.) Wish to read more impressions on these. And of course it would be a pity if these were discontinued due to low sales-hoping they catch its audience in due time

Thanks to Mr. Kruer as well sharing his thoughts on them. It may be that only three of us in this forum have so far tested them. Should I find further positive/negative features as the strings mature, I will add my findings and update my opinion on them. Generally many new strings tend to sound very good at first, and I am cognizant of the fact. Hopefully more of us update the thread, for better or worse.

September 8, 2021, 6:49 AM · It's always good to hear about new strings and people's experience with them. However, all of you out there should remember that different strings sound different on different instruments. So, do not assume for a minute that any of these strings will sound good on your instrument. Maybe, or maybe not.
September 8, 2021, 8:18 AM · "These are the strings my #1 violin has been waiting 50 years to wear!

For the first 20 years I owned my #1 violin I used Pirastro gut-core strings. But then I moved across the country and played in various venues that exposed it to sudden extreme temperature and humidity changes that played havoc with string intonation stability. When synthetic-core strings appeared 50 years ago they solved my climate problem but I never again was completely satisfied with the sound of this violin with any of the many string brands I tried - although some came close. Now that I have been using Perpetual Cadenza strings for the past month I am completely satisfied. Thank You!"

That quote is from my review of these strings as I sent it to concordmusic.com. and included in their website.

I installed these PC strings after trying Eudoxas once again. I felt I was not getting all the sound volume I wanted from the Eudoxas. Prior to this Eudoxa installation I had been using Eva Pirazzi Gold with a Peter Infeld platinum E string and that was the best string combo I had ever had on this violin. ONE THING I have to say about Eudoxa - pizz is really great!

After a few months with the Perpetual Cadenza strings I felt the E string was a bit too thin (physically - tough on my fingers, not soundwise) and I replaced it with a PI-Pt E. The whole set still sounds great except that E-string pizz is quite feeble with the higher tension. I will probably go back to the PC E string pretty soon.

Edited: September 8, 2021, 9:44 AM · One set coming to me-- now to figure out what to try it on. I'm not really needing replacements any time soon, and the one likely to need it next will be used in a concert. That already sounds great with Warchal Timbre. Perhaps I will swap out after the performance.
Edited: September 12, 2021, 3:38 AM · I have recently changed the bass bar on my violin and it's currently strung with the Ti's. The sound is balanced, absolutely round with quality. I have no problem with them, but I wonder if someone has had the same strings on their violin and changed to the PC's. What should I expect from this change?
September 12, 2021, 11:22 AM · If you love Ti, you love them and that is fine. I think Mr. Kruer could be of more help since he has likely used those strings, *and* the Cadenza. Though oer has he may have only used Pi, I cannot recall.

My violin always did better with lower tension strings. It did have an horrific accident, so the bass bar has also been replaced a bit over a year ago. It is better than ever but I still prefer lower tension strings on it (such as Eudoxa). The Cadenza make it ring effortlessly, are relatively easy to play, and sound fantastic for synthetics-refined, upper mids with depth, "balanced edgy" for lack of a better term, more comparable to wound gut than its predecessors, though not the same.

I think the Tis have an aluminum wound D option, so that is something in favor of them should you prefer those Ds. The tension should be higher (usually a con for me, might be what you want or need). Price is lower. The Cadenza D is great sounding on my violin, despite it being only offered as a silver plated option, and aluminum being my usual preference-in the end, high tension is more of a deal-breaker to me than specific windings.

Sorry for not being able to help you out. See if you can try them, and if you do not like them on your violin, go back to your Tis which do appear to be easier on the wallet (at least the Perpetual Cadenza are for now more affordable than regular Perpetual, and less expensive than some "premium" options out there.)

Edited: September 12, 2021, 11:35 AM · Hello Kypros, I did try TI for a bit, I thought they were nice balanced strings slightly on the bright side, which matched my violin well. Similar to Adalberto, although the TI tension is not that much higher, I did notice worse response, which to be honest I noticed with most Thomastik strings, with the exception of Dominants and Vision Titanium Orchestra.

If you are totally happy with the sound and response of TI, I'm not sure you would find PC an improvement. If I had to guess it would be slightly weaker, slightly warmer and less resistant to bow weight. For my violin the easier response actually opens up dynamic possibilities, but your violin might not like the lower resistance.

September 12, 2021, 12:29 PM · I'm always up for trying a new brand of strings. I mean, what else is there to spend money on?
September 12, 2021, 1:40 PM · Totally agree with Tom Holzman's comment.
Edited: September 12, 2021, 7:45 PM · Pirastro released a light gauge synthetic violin string for the first time in 21 years. I think it's worthy of discussion.
September 13, 2021, 8:05 AM · Thank you for your responses. The regular high tension Perpetuals didn't suit the violin, but at the time it needed a new longer SP.
It used also to do fine with the Larsen virtuoso and Il Cannone.
September 13, 2021, 10:44 AM · I'm curious about these strings, but I've been pretty satisfied with my Rondos, and my complaints about my violin at the moment are mostly related to adjustment, as it hasn't gotten a proper one since before the pandemic. I don't want to fool with strings again until the setup is done optimally.
September 13, 2021, 1:36 PM · They appear to be different from Rondos. Much less clean and open, with more attention paid to complexity. I just put on a set, and was quite initially worried by the A and D. It seemed that they were determined to copy an old kind of sound, much as some not-so-hot modern makers copy del Gesus, hoping that some treacly warmth will make people live without the purity and power of the original.

Most of that fog blew away when the G string went on. The E closed the deal. Still warmer sounding than Rondos, and a bit less unaffected than the Warchal Timbre. But nice volume, generally attractive sound quality. Interesting that Andrew found them a useful replacement for EP Gold. That's probably the closest equivalent I can think of.

The only issue left now is that they require a bit more care in placement of the bow. So that either requires being fussy about the angle vs the bridge when playing at the point (a Galamian thing, I believe) or employing a softer 19c kind of bow.

I'm off to town for a few days so I won't be able to practice, but I shall see how it behaves when I get back.

September 14, 2021, 9:07 AM · It seems like there might indeed be a lot more interest in these strings versus if Pirastro just called these 'light gauge.'
September 14, 2021, 9:54 AM · Assuming that's all they are. But why put two formulas under the same brand? Either way, some slightly confusing marketing.
September 14, 2021, 10:33 AM · I believe Pirastro indicated, in a Strad article, that the Cadenzas actually have a different core material composition.

But I think the same is true for the Evah light-gauge cello strings versus medium-gauge, for example.

Edited: September 14, 2021, 9:53 PM · Mr. Holland,

I did not know about that article. I honestly believed they were Perpetual Weich under a clever marketing name, following the Cello Perpetual Cadenza strings.

Whatever core it is, "modern", old school nylon, etc. it sounds really special. Let's see how they do in the long run for my violin. Very impressive work!

September 16, 2021, 11:54 AM · I'm intrigued by these strings. I have been using Dominant Pro since they came out, and Dominant before that. But, I've ordered a set of the Perpetual Cadenza to try!

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Silent Violin
Yamaha Silent Violin

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Virtual Sejong Music Competition
Virtual Sejong Music Competition

Violinist.com Business Directory
Violinist.com Business Directory

Antonio Strad Violin

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Bobelock Cases

Fiddlerman.com

Fiddlershop

Los Angeles Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Violin-Strings.com

Metzler Violin Shop

Leatherwood Bespoke Rosin

Warchal

Barenreiter

Johnson String Instrument and Carriage House Violins

Potter Violins

String Masters

Bein & Company

Annapolis Bows & Violins

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe