String crossings in Bruch 3rd Movement

September 2, 2021, 11:32 PM · Thanks for all the supportive advice on double stops in the 3rd Movement of Bruch. To follow up, now that double stops don’t sound like utter garbage, another hard part that’s giving me trouble is the string crossing passages(measures 146 and 253 from the beginning of the 3rd movement, not from the solo violin entrance). I constantly feel like the notes on the a and d strings(especially when the notes on the d and a strings are fifths) sound hushed and cracked compared to the notes on the e string. Any thoughts?

Replies (2)

September 3, 2021, 3:22 AM · So first things first - how confident are you in the intonation? Great intonation will make the notes seem to sparkle as they have better resonance. The left-hand positions required are a bit crunchy.

Then, the pattern of string-crossings is also a bit inconvenient because it's not rhythmically even. As a result you make the string crossing in a place you have probably not practiced much, as normally one practices in a straightforward rhythym.

And finally your strings will react to the bow differently when you are crossing in 5th and 6th position.

I suggest practicing the string-crossing *rhythm* slowly first with open strings, then with some plain stopped strings in 1st position (e.g. 3 on E, 2 on A, 1 on D then 2 on E, 1 on A, 1 on D), then eventually in the higher positions. This will get you used to crossing the strings in the right places.

Hope this helps!

September 5, 2021, 1:31 PM · Lighten up bow speed if it's sounding 'cracked'...sometimes to get more sound we feel like we need to really dig into the string, but that can often cause more ugly sound and less projection. Try relying on less bow weight and a bit more bow speed in that passage. I also echo Chris' comment of practicing the pattern slowly with open strings first.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Silent Violin
Yamaha Silent Violin

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Virtual Sejong Music Competition
Virtual Sejong Music Competition

Violinist.com Business Directory
Violinist.com Business Directory

Antonio Strad Violin

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Bobelock Cases

Fiddlerman.com

Fiddlershop

Los Angeles Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Violin-Strings.com

Metzler Violin Shop

Leatherwood Bespoke Rosin

Warchal

Barenreiter

Johnson String Instrument and Carriage House Violins

Potter Violins

String Masters

Bein & Company

Annapolis Bows & Violins

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe