A different way to play Canon in D

Edited: August 20, 2021, 7:40 PM · Use a headset if you can.

Replies (13)

August 20, 2021, 10:22 PM · Ooh, yeah.
August 21, 2021, 2:37 AM · Beautiful
How is it notated?
I thought it would be like a piano, in that the R hand played the treble, but it looks like there’s a lot of crossover.
Edited: August 21, 2021, 1:05 PM · I've the music if anyone wants to see it. The bass bridge is on the right, treble on the left. Chromatic bridge on either the far left or right - if there is one. Mine will be on the far right side - where the other low notes are.

Bass bridge is only played on the left side of the bridge with the right hand hand, treble on both sides of the treble bridge with the left hand.

Keys are divided, the white markers on the bridges mark where each key begins. Mode determines hammering patterns. So for the Ionian mode, 1 key is played with 4 notes up the bass bar, back to the starting key marker on the treble bar for that key and 4 notes up. Other modes/scales have quite different patterns. Each note has 2 or 3 strings dependent on design.

The HD is tuned to 5ths like the violin. There IS a "piano HD" where the notes are linear but these are rare and not standard.

Probably more than you wanted :)

Edited: August 21, 2021, 8:54 AM · Rosemary, Music has 2 treble clefs or treble and bass clef depending on the music though there is a tablature notation too which also includes hammer notation.
August 21, 2021, 1:03 PM · Thanks Ann, I figured I was answering the wrong question :-) If you would like to see the music you can download the PDF here:

https://timothyseaman.com/images/easyblog_images/53/_-Pachelbel-Canon-full-DLC-arrangemen_20181007-000348_1.pdf

August 21, 2021, 2:08 PM · It also makes a nice Irish reel.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O3yCuYkcJIc

August 21, 2021, 3:31 PM · Speaking of Irish, I bet a lot of Irish harp music would be adaptable.
August 22, 2021, 9:00 AM · Dang ... no electrification. No pedal-board! LOL
August 22, 2021, 2:48 PM · Lol Paul :) I'm not really a fan of all of that though I can appreciate it.

On the topic of crossing genres on an instrument, I saw a channel on YouTube, the Harp Twins is the name (I think). They attempt to play metal, such as Metallica, on acoustic harps. They obviously know thier instrument, and have creative costume choices, but I don't think metal translates to the acoustic harp :)

August 23, 2021, 2:28 PM · Fun facts... The "hammered dulcimer," like the related cimbalom, came into Europe through the Middle East, ultimately from the Persian santur. The santur also went East from Persia, where it became the yangqin in China. It was first made popular in Europe c.1700 when Pantaleon Hebenstreit wowed audiences at the court of Dresden with his monster nine-foot version (called "Pantalon" or "Pantaleon") that could play loud and soft. Though Cristofori's piano e forte was built just a little later than the Hebenstreit's first instruments, there is no evidence that it was influenced by the hot-rod hammered dulcimer. Still, it is not out of the question that Mr. Hebestreit actually played the continuo part to Pachelbel's Canon. I once did a gig with a guy who played that exact part on the hammered dulcimer, and got me to improvise over it (it was a common back-up part used by improvising musicians at the time, in fact), which was fun to do.
Edited: August 23, 2021, 7:11 PM · Thanks Paul, that's fun! It's interesting to me that pretty much every part of the world has something that looks like the hammered dulcimer. They use different tunings and serve different roles, and the music may, or may not be compatible, but everyone pretty much has a percussive stringed instrument - as well as a bowed stringed instrument or dozen :-)

The entire Zither instrument family, of which the HD is one, has always been very interesting to me.

I was at a store this weekend in Nashville, IN where the owner had several quite old zithers in the back room - which was a lot of fun. I really wish the 5-chord zither was still made, but that stopped about a century ago, sadly. Antiques can still be had, but that's it.

Edited: August 23, 2021, 11:31 PM · If it's a trapezoidal-shaped zither played by hammers, then its ancestor is definitely the Persian santur. Now, here is a wild violinist.com connection--

Lyndon Taylor is on here from time to time, and besides his gig fixing up violins in Southern California, he also made replica keyboard instruments--some very beautiful work. He built a fabulous version of a nine-foot wide clavichord that was apparently made by an early piano maker, Gottfried Silbermann, maybe called "Cembalo d'Amore"? If I were made of money, I would beg him to sell it to me. It sounded exquisite (in a recording he made of it...)!!

I once asked him about this, but he never got back to me--but my theory... The Silbermann 9-foot clavichord was based on the Pantalon. If you look at Wikipedia for a Pantalon, they show you this weird keyboard thing that I think is totally made up. If you see Lyndon's replica of the Silbermann instrument, you could imagine that being played by someone with hammers. It is vaguely trapezoidal, but with the keyboard in the middle of the fat part of the trapezoid. Exactly where a hammered-dulcimer player would play the instrument.

I don't know how to tag a member here, but if Lyndon sees this, I would love to know what you think about the Hebenstreit-Silbermann connection. https://www.violinist.com/directory/bio.cfm?member=Lyndon-Taylor

Edited: August 24, 2021, 7:03 AM · Very interesting - I've read the hammered dulcimer is the ancestor of the cimbalom and sources differ as to whether the HD (originating in the Middle East no later than the 9th century, some say much earlier) inspired the Santor or vice versa, or developed independently. Regardless, hammered zithers in whatever form have been around a LONG time!

I wouldn't mind learning the Cimbalom, but that isn't easily done in North America - and I'm quite sure it would be far more expensive and certainly far less portable.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Silent Violin
Yamaha Silent Violin

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Virtual Sejong Music Competition
Virtual Sejong Music Competition

Violinist.com Business Directory
Violinist.com Business Directory

Antonio Strad Violin

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Bobelock Cases

Fiddlerman.com

Fiddlershop

Los Angeles Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Violin-Strings.com

Metzler Violin Shop

Leatherwood Bespoke Rosin

Warchal

Barenreiter

Johnson String Instrument and Carriage House Violins

Potter Violins

String Masters

Bein & Company

Annapolis Bows & Violins

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe