Gorecki sonata for 2 violins

August 20, 2021, 5:22 AM · Hi all,
I was wondering what the comparable difficulty is of the Gorecki sonata? I have a violinist friend coming over soon and want to know if its within my capabilities. He will likely be able to play it (recent music college graduate, currently learning Elgar concerto).
Any tips/help would be greatly appreciated!

Replies (2)

August 20, 2021, 9:08 AM · I had once planned to play it, but it didn’t come true, so I don’t know. But I have the sheet music, and I would consider it NOT an easy piece, from looking at it. Figuring out the intonation could be quite time consuming.

I am an orchestra violinist who also has some chamber music performances, every once in a while. Some of those can be done with few rehearsals, sort of just in between orchestra rehearsals, and are ready for being performed decently.

The Gorecki doesn’t look like that, at all. I would only consider playing it when the occasion matches the amount of work. So, not at some barbecue when nobody is really listening, and you have to fight wind or sun.

The interpretation of such a work which is not some standard repertoire, needs a good amount of planning. Otherwise, it just sounds sort of barbarian.
There are lots of double stops, but not too hard ones. The second movement is very soft, very high unisono. So, you have to be able to agree on intonation, sound quality and phrasing.

It is definitely rewarding, you made me already start thinking about with whom and for which occasion I could play this, myself, one day.

So, if you plan to spend a good amount of time on it, why not? Technically, you should be able to play chords. This can be a matter of muscle training for your right arm- so many fast fff- chords in a row! They don’t look too difficult for the left hand, though.

If I knew how to do that, I could send some pictures of it, so you get an impression.

August 20, 2021, 9:11 AM · As I have not played the Gorecki, it is just a guess, but I’d most likely compare this to the Prokofiev sonata for two violins. At least, this is what I would expect.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Silent Violin
Yamaha Silent Violin

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Virtual Sejong Music Competition
Virtual Sejong Music Competition

Violinist.com Business Directory
Violinist.com Business Directory

Antonio Strad Violin

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Bobelock Cases

Fiddlerman.com

Fiddlershop

Los Angeles Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Violin-Strings.com

Metzler Violin Shop

Leatherwood Bespoke Rosin

Warchal

Barenreiter

Johnson String Instrument and Carriage House Violins

Potter Violins

String Masters

Bein & Company

Annapolis Bows & Violins

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe