Chin Rest Fitting

Edited: July 20, 2021, 10:47 PM · I bought a new chinrest (needed something taller for my long neck).
The new CR doesn't sit flat on the violin (it's interfering with the shoulder?). Is the best method to cut away the cork and use a file/sandpaper on the chinrest?

Replies (7)

Edited: July 19, 2021, 9:56 PM · you should be able to file or sand the cork without removing it, the differential is less than the thickness of the cork, and the cork can be quite a bit thinner and still work fine IMHO or do you mean its bumping into the saddle??
Edited: July 19, 2021, 10:29 PM · Following up on Lyndon's comment, to me the photos look like the CR is bumping into the saddle. If that's the case then you have to cut away a bit of the cork with a razor blade and then grind or file away the inner corners of the CR. The fact that the hardware is so close to the corner of the CR is not in your favor. If you remove the cork entirely you can replace it with new cork or leather (chamois).

You may need this:
https://fiddlershop.com/products/titanium-hook-hardware-replacement-for-chinrest-universal-separated-leg-design

A little pricey but I've had good a outcome on my violin with anodized titanium CR hardware from Stradpet. You do need to be handy with tools to install them. Lyndon can probably tell you what size twist drill you need. The old holes can be filled with wood filler and colored black with a Sharpie pen.

July 20, 2021, 12:03 AM · titanium hardware isnt going to change anything but your budget, you need to make the underside of the chinrest a better fit to the surface of the violin, if it touching the saddle just cut the part away with a very sharp knife or a file, no need to replace or remove the cork
July 20, 2021, 2:24 AM · Judging by the photo, you will definitely need to file the wood as well.
July 20, 2021, 7:49 AM · I agree that titanium hardware is not essential, and you might not need new hardware at all, depending how much of the CR you need to cut away. The CR needs to be able to take some stress -- it can't be fragile. I agree that a knife is likely a good tool for this job.
Edited: July 20, 2021, 8:31 PM · Several years ago I replaced the cork on all my chinrests with "self-sticK" rubber sheeting (actually rubber tape), cut to the cork dimensions. This would give a better fit, but my reason for doing it was to acoustically isolate the chinrests from the instruments - it worked for that too - and I got better sound.

If you have a valuable instrument you might fear what will happen if you have to remove the chinrest - or when you want to sell the instrument. But chinrest cork also can stick to an instrument and anyway a decent luthier can fix the "damage" like new.

July 20, 2021, 10:57 PM · Thanks Lyndon, Paul, Adrian. Yeah, it was bumping into the saddle. I did as you all suggested, and used a razor blade and carved away a bit of the wood. Not much was needed!

But now as you mentioned, Lyndon, the cork isn't perfectly contoured to the violin surface (less than the cork thickness). It's a bit hard to see the gap, but I think I can estimate based on the overall curvature of the violin and try filing it tomorrow.

Andrew, I had never heard of using rubber. Very Interesting topic about rubber improving sound quality; I'll definitely try and look into it when I start playing decently again. It's been almost 10 years, and I'm horrified by what I sound like right now and how my fingers are(aren't) moving.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Silent Violin
Yamaha Silent Violin

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Virtual Sejong Music Competition
Virtual Sejong Music Competition

Violinist.com Business Directory
Violinist.com Business Directory

Antonio Strad Violin

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Bobelock Cases

Fiddlerman.com

Fiddlershop

Los Angeles Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Violin-Strings.com

Metzler Violin Shop

Leatherwood Bespoke Rosin

Warchal

Barenreiter

Johnson String Instrument and Carriage House Violins

Potter Violins

String Masters

Bein & Company

Annapolis Bows & Violins

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe