Andrew Manze

Edited: July 19, 2021, 9:24 AM · Who is for him, who is against him?

Replies (12)

Edited: July 19, 2021, 9:26 AM · I like much of what he has done. His 'Devil's Trill' was especially good, and I'd be interested to see what has happened to him since then.
Edited: July 19, 2021, 10:04 AM · Wonderful baroque violinist, particularly in recordings of the Biber Sonatas and the Bach concertos (including Bach double with a young Rachel Podger before she was well-known). 'Since then' - he doesn't play violin any more and conducts. As a conductor he has moved away considerably from the early repertoire including doing a Vaughn-Williams symphony cycle.
Edited: July 19, 2021, 10:39 AM · I have enjoyed him as violinist in small ensembles very early in his career. When he was widely known as "the bad boy of early music" I mostly avoided him although he made a clarifying foil for discussions about the sinuous lyricism of Rachel Podger's playing, particularly as seen in the Proms performance of the aforementioned Bach double. He's so unbelievably humble now it seems terribly mean spirited to say anything against him.
July 19, 2021, 11:20 AM · There is a lively and interesting interview on the Concertgebouw website, recorded earlier this year. Sorry I can't embed - need to learn - so here's the link.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XNGzQa8VVKw

He comes across as a friendly and gentle soul, and talks about his move away from baroque performance to classical/romantic/modern conducting, and also about the symphonies of Vaughan Williams.

July 19, 2021, 11:30 AM · I forgot to mention his Corelli Op.5 recording, which is in my view the best Corelli recording out there.
July 19, 2021, 11:45 AM · He got me playing Biber (although not as well as he does/did) and I loved the way he and Rachel Podger camped up the Bach Double with a few spontaneous-sounding ornaments.
July 19, 2021, 1:51 PM · Marvellous musician. Why on earth would anybody be against him?
July 20, 2021, 11:52 AM · Yes, I remember and loved his Corelli Op. 5. May he happy doing whatever fulfills him the most. Though personally, I miss his period performance violin playing (and some of you may know I am not really a fan of all HIP for many reasons-no offense intended as usual.)

In his recordings liner notes and interviews, he comes across as informed, candid, and at least appears respectful of non-HIP performance-did not strike an elitist chord to me back then. Not sure what was the controversy ("HIP Bad Boy"?) as I generally do not follow HIP circles, but at least hope he is doing well, HIP or otherwise.

July 20, 2021, 12:21 PM · There wasn't a controversy--"bad boy" was just something that was mentioned in articles about him during his first big peak of popularity. For me it's a convenient label for that time of his career but neither the label nor the rationale for it--the purported 'daring' improvisations in his performances--explain my lack of enthusiasm for his playing at that time. Rather I just found that he lacked the quality I found most valuable about better HIP violin playing: fine-grained speech-like rhetorical inflection.
July 20, 2021, 3:11 PM · Mr. Sender,

Fine-grained, speech-like rhetorical inflection seems to be a quite subjective term. Of course professional and scholarly music writing las a lot of these. But I would not be able to decipher on specific, technical or musical terms what is that in relation to HIP, and thus why it would be more desirable.

As I hinted at, I am no "tru HIP" music lover, only listening to it on ocassion, and why I may be out of the loop.

As far as I remember, Mr. Biondi and Mr. Carmignola seemed both to me more controversial than Manze, but again, I was not too much "into HIP" to truly know. I did prefer Mr. Manze to both, though I did indeed hold no grudges or big apprehensions toward none of these artists.

(I find it sad that my phone "auto corrected" Carmignola with Carcinoma...)

July 20, 2021, 5:03 PM · He once punched my dog square in the face! Thus, I have to be against him.

Oh wait, are we talking about the violinist? I thought you meant my neighbor.

July 29, 2021, 6:42 PM · Andrew Manze is one of my favorite violinists. I collect his recordings of violin sonatas. His Biber sonatas with his Romanesca ensemble is one of my favorite CDs in my whole collection. I love his Corelli sonatas, his Pandolfi, his Uccellini, his Handel, his Schmelzer....

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Silent Violin
Yamaha Silent Violin

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Virtual Sejong Music Competition
Virtual Sejong Music Competition

Violinist.com Business Directory
Violinist.com Business Directory

Antonio Strad Violin

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Bobelock Cases

Fiddlerman.com

Fiddlershop

Los Angeles Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Violin-Strings.com

Metzler Violin Shop

Leatherwood Bespoke Rosin

Warchal

Barenreiter

Johnson String Instrument and Carriage House Violins

Potter Violins

String Masters

Bein & Company

Annapolis Bows & Violins

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe