World premiere sonata recording

Edited: July 15, 2021, 10:35 AM · I have just uploaded a world premiere recording (live recording) of a wonderful sonata by Andreas Romberg. Romberg was a contemporary of Beethoven and they both worked together briefly in the court orchestra at Bonn. Romberg may have been an early influence on the young Beethoven's early compositions. I personally think this sonata is comparable in quality to the Beethoven Op.12s. See what you think...

Replies (10)

July 15, 2021, 11:14 AM · Thanks for this - well worth "resurrecting"!
July 15, 2021, 1:00 PM · Good, enterprising stuff, stylishly played and well recorded. Is the music published? I notice there are two more sonatas in Romberg's Op.9 but unfortunately none are available on IMSLP
July 15, 2021, 1:18 PM · Hi, Music available here. https://imslp.org/wiki/3_Violin_Sonatas%2C_Op.9_(Romberg%2C_Andreas).

One of the difficulties of preparing this is lack of a score. The piano part is purely a piano part, rather than having the violin on top.

Edited: July 15, 2021, 4:34 PM · Ah yes, now I see they're listed under "collections" but not under "compositions". That doesn't make much sense to me!

Romberg's string quartets seem to have received rather more attention but apparently not this one
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k8qlhmTBwSE

July 15, 2021, 8:01 PM · There is a Romberg Sonata for cello and piano (C major) that is very popular with young students -- the first movement has a thrilling coda with big chords at the end. Some years ago my daughter (and a pianist friend of ours) performed it at a charity concert event here and raised the roof.
July 15, 2021, 8:06 PM · Wonderful piece of music. Beautiful performance. Thank you for sharing. Bravo!
July 15, 2021, 9:13 PM · Why no video?
July 16, 2021, 4:53 AM · The cello piece was probably Bernhard - his cousin. No video as no one filmed it...
Edited: July 16, 2021, 7:04 AM · More than one Romberg? Who knew? Thanks for pointing that out. And for goodness sake, the next time you're premiering a beautiful piece and playing such a lovely recital please do find someone to videotape it for us. :)
July 16, 2021, 7:50 AM · Thanks very much!

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Silent Violin
Yamaha Silent Violin

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Virtual Sejong Music Competition
Virtual Sejong Music Competition

Violinist.com Business Directory
Violinist.com Business Directory

Antonio Strad Violin

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Bobelock Cases

Fiddlerman.com

Fiddlershop

Los Angeles Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Violin-Strings.com

Metzler Violin Shop

Leatherwood Bespoke Rosin

Warchal

Barenreiter

Johnson String Instrument and Carriage House Violins

Potter Violins

String Masters

Bein & Company

Annapolis Bows & Violins

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe