SAS Chin Rests

Edited: July 14, 2021, 5:59 PM · I use the Tall Wave 2 CR, which I dearly love. The medium is too short. I would like to try something that is just a little shorter as an experiment but not as short as the medium Wave 2 and the SAS seems to have that option.

My jaw likes a "hook" such as my Wave 2, it looks like the SAS also has that but the design is a little different. Does it really have a hook or is that an artifact of the pictures I've seen. A more smooth CR just doesn't work for me.

Thanks in advance!

Replies (17)

July 14, 2021, 6:53 PM · I use a tall SAS. I increased the "hook" by carving out the recess more. Have been very happy with the improvement for several years now.
July 14, 2021, 7:31 PM · That is what I was wondering from the picture, it looks more like a channel than a hook. I also am not mechanically inclined.

Is there another CR out there that is 1.35 inches with a hook? I love my tall Wave 2 (1.5 inches), but I already know the medium (1.25 inches) is too short and aggravates my neck.

Just dealing with the consequences of a setup problem and I'm willing to try a CR that is just a little shorter - if I can get it from a source with a good return policy.

July 14, 2021, 8:58 PM · I own the Wave 1 and Wave 2. At first I liked them. But, I have since switched to the SAS which I love. It has an adjustable angle and nice shape that I can lock my jaw onto and it is extremely comfortable. I now have about a dozen chinrests in my collection. They are so personal to your instrument and body shape. It’s good to experiment and try various combinations of CR/SR solutions.
Edited: July 16, 2021, 8:01 AM · I have been using "the IMPRESSIONIST" to contour my chinrests to fit my jaw for some years now.

I had used "Original STUBER" chinrests (they have a"hook") made in Germany prior to 1970 but made the mistake of diverting for a while and donated some of my STUBERs to a youth orchestra. The "STUBER" chinrests sold these days by dealers in the USA do not fit me. I could spend around $200 per for some tailor made in England, but I don't like the Hill hardware they have. So I have been using a low flat-top alternative chinrest design and building it up with "The Impressionist." I have altered 4 chinrests this way; my other two are are (1) original STUBER made in Germany over 50 years ago and (2) one of the expensive UK models.

July 14, 2021, 11:41 PM · For me, I think the SAS does have a hook for my jaw to lock onto, without it jabbing/stabbing me in the neck. I use it along with a piece of shelf liner folded up a few times to protect my collarbone. I find that it mutes the instrument less than a piece of foam. I found that the wave chinrest didn't quite have the shape that I wanted. The wave 1 was too flat and the wave 2 had too much of a hook. I also like that the angle of the SAS is adjustable. I think of it as a cheaper version of the kreddle.

1.5 inches is 38.1 mm. The SAS comes in heights of 24,28,32, and 35 in millimeters. That means if you want something just slightly shorter than the tall wave 2 that the 35mm will be just that although it'll only be by about 3 millimeters. But that could be a huge difference for your setup.

Edited: July 15, 2021, 8:55 AM · I appreciate the comments, thank you. I really like my Wave 2 and the shape, but it is also possible that the tall is just a couple mm too tall. Also my math was slightly off and I was thinking that the tall SAS was the same height as the tall Wave 2 so am glad to hear it's just a little lower. Also it might be good to try a slightly less pronounced hook.

Andrew - I've heard that about the current Stuber, they just aren't the same as they once were. I will keep the Impressionist Comforter in mind.

I will give the tall SAS a try, and I see that Fiddlershop has a 45 day return window, this is good!

July 20, 2021, 8:10 PM · The tall SAS arrived...and it lasted one practice session. I thought it was fine but my shoulder and neck voted against it pretty quickly. Probably something about the different shape. My tall Wave 1 is back on my instrument. I'll try it again in a week or so before returning it just in case it was a coincidence due to my shoulder still healing from the set-up related injury. It seemed secure but I'm getting better on not ignoring pain...
July 21, 2021, 5:09 PM · At one point, I ordered about half a dozen chinrests from SHAR. I tried them all but none worked for me and I returned them with no hassle. It really takes a bit of experimentation. Good luck Catherine!
July 21, 2021, 6:04 PM · I love my tall Wave 1 John, it was just an experiment to see what a slightly lower CR with a different shape might be like. I found out...but I'll try it again before it goes back.
July 21, 2021, 8:06 PM · Yeah, that can be a potential downside of trying to experiment with a shorter chin rest. The height could be great, but because you like a certain shape of chin rest it's possible to be uncomfortable despite the lower height. It'd be nice if the Wave chin rests came in more heights than 1", 1.25", 1.5", and da capo.

I like that the SAS chin rests come in more incremental sizes than just increases in 1/4 inch. Coincidentally I started using the Wave 2 on my viola with the same setup of a folded piece of shelf liner and it's working very well. It actually lets me play my 16-inch viola easier than I could with a regular shoulder rest, so I might not have to downsize like I originally thought I would have to.

Edited: July 22, 2021, 11:36 AM · I see that the SAS comes in an "orchestral" model, and that looks very much like it has the hook my jaw likes. The problem is I can't seem to find anyone who actually offers it. I wonder if they've just stopped making it?

Neverthe less, after talking with my teacher today I think I'm going to take 5-7 days off the violin entirely. I've really not done that since the lockdown started last year...I know, I know...my problem with the SAS the other may have not been related to the CR and more with set-up related injury that is still aggravated. Hard to say without taking time off. Grumble, grumble, grumble :-)

My shoulder "guy" tells me that I don't really have to do that as long as I stick with very short practice sessions - but it's reached the point where that just only gets so far.

July 22, 2021, 12:38 PM · @Catherine, I don't know if anyone has mentioned it already, or if you have already tried this with your teacher; but what about re-positioning your posture to a get your chin more on the center of the violin, i.e. have you tried an over-the-tailpiece type chinrest and repositioned your posture accordingly? Either that, or maybe re-position your violin posture to mimic baroque violin players from days of old where the violin rests more on their chest? Just a thought.

Good luck to you. I hope you find a way to keep playing the violin that will not cause you any discomfort.

Edited: July 22, 2021, 6:47 PM · The problem is pretty straightforward. Somehow my scroll had become rather too high over the 15 months of pandemic-induced Zoom lessons. My teacher just didn't notice it on Zoom. The injury was brewing under the surface for sometime I think, and when I needed to really ramp up my practice time and intensity it burst into flames.

I just overdid things and ignored my body's warning signs. My physio doesn't think I've done any real damage, it just needs to calm. He even said I could practice for 15 minutes at a time, but really, that doesn't seem to be worth it. Wiser to take a little time off. My teacher assigned some very gentle things to work on for our next lesson in 2 weeks - he isn't teaching next week.

Edited: July 23, 2021, 4:39 AM · I'm an adult beginner. Trying out several chinrests to see what suits. So far I feel I need a high chinrest (and no shoulder rest). I got the Kreddle which is good. But here's the thing. These chinrests don't allow my violin to sit in my BAM Peak Performance Violin Case without being squashed. Are there any cases that can be recommended for people who have a high to very high chinrest and want to leave it on? It's very time consuming to take it off and on just to put the instrument in the case.
Edited: July 23, 2021, 6:48 AM · Andrew - I've one of the tallest chinrests on the market (I've a tall neck, and also use a SR). While the tall Wave isn't the tallest, it's the second tallest I've seen and there is no problem with my case. There is a cushion in my case where the CR hits which is quite nice.

I use the Bobelock B1051 "Corrigor" and I love it, it's not light but that is fine with me. Here is the link.

https://www.bobelock.com/cases/violin/b1051.html

July 23, 2021, 11:27 PM · Sadly Bobelock cases no longer imported in Australia.
July 24, 2021, 9:30 AM · I use a BAM Panther Contoured case, and I use Kreddle CR. I just cut off the cushion foam and lower the height myself, then stick it back again. But I think BAM peak performance's cushion is different from my case, it looks harder to simply cut it off by itself.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Silent Violin
Yamaha Silent Violin

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Virtual Sejong Music Competition
Virtual Sejong Music Competition

Violinist.com Business Directory
Violinist.com Business Directory

Antonio Strad Violin

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Bobelock Cases

Fiddlerman.com

Fiddlershop

Los Angeles Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Violin-Strings.com

Metzler Violin Shop

Leatherwood Bespoke Rosin

Warchal

Barenreiter

Johnson String Instrument and Carriage House Violins

Potter Violins

String Masters

Bein & Company

Annapolis Bows & Violins

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe