Dallas Bow Makers and Rehair

July 14, 2021, 9:19 AM · The pandemic closed down the only shop in DFW I trusted to do my repairs and repairs, Jay R Rury.

Does anyone know of a reputable bow maker who can rehair my bow, preferably as close to Dallas as possible?

Replies (9)

July 14, 2021, 1:07 PM · I don't know about rehairs, but I recently had my setup done by Josh Waybright in Richardson. He did excellent work and it sounds way better than it did before and I'd imagine his rehairs are good too. Maybe someone has experienced his rehairs before. He did the bridge and the soundpost on my violin. I think he's about 15-25 minutes from Dallas depending on where you are in the city and traffic. I think he's 15 or so from SMU's campus.

If you like Jay Rury (I did too), you could try Caraway strings. Duncan Beaver from J R Rury went to Caraway strings back in 2019 to work there full time.

July 14, 2021, 4:54 PM · Before Duncan moved to Caraway Strings after Jay retired, he had recommended Mike Sheriff for bow work. I never contacted him and ended up getting my bow rehaired at Caraway by Rozie. Not a bad job (but maybe too much hair for my bow... It's better now because of hair-loss :).

https://sheriffbowsandviolins.com/

July 15, 2021, 1:05 AM · I've found that you can ask the luthier to alter how much or how little hair to put on the bow based on your preferences. I've never tried it, but it probably wouldn't hurt. I think on one of my bows I would prefer to have the hair a little shorter to add some resistance in the hair. right now the hair pushes to the stick way too easily and I don't remember it doing that when I first bought it. It's only had one rehair as I've only had it for a little under a year. It's definitely due for a rehair soon I think it's been almost 6 months. I used to get my rehairs done on campus at my school because it was only $40 which is great when you're a student. But since I'm starting at a new school I need to find somewhere else to get my rehairs done. I've never gotten my bow rehaired anywhere else up here so finding a new place will be fun. I'll probably give Waybright a try since he did a good job with my violin.

I've heard of Mike Sheriff as well though I never tried him either. I also want to try Caraway as well, but the too much hair thing does worry me. I could probably tell Rozie or whoever does it what I'm looking for.

July 15, 2021, 8:06 AM ·
July 15, 2021, 8:08 AM · I highly recommend Michael Sheriff.
July 15, 2021, 6:33 PM · Anyone ever tried one of Michael Sheriff’s bows? His website says his violin bows go for $3000-$5000.
July 15, 2021, 7:03 PM · Seems like everything in Texas is run by Sheriffs!!
July 16, 2021, 4:05 PM · Michael Sheriff worked in Salchow's shop in NYC, by the way. I met him at high noon in Dallas, but he beat me to the draw. So I didn't purchase his bow.

Tx by the way has one of the states with largest number of people without health care coverage (to get off topic.)

July 16, 2021, 10:19 PM · I see that Richardson is about 20 miles from Dallas. In Texas that's not even in your back yard. It's on your porch.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Silent Violin
Yamaha Silent Violin

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Virtual Sejong Music Competition
Virtual Sejong Music Competition

Violinist.com Business Directory
Violinist.com Business Directory

Antonio Strad Violin

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Bobelock Cases

Fiddlerman.com

Fiddlershop

Los Angeles Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Violin-Strings.com

Metzler Violin Shop

Leatherwood Bespoke Rosin

Warchal

Barenreiter

Johnson String Instrument and Carriage House Violins

Potter Violins

String Masters

Bein & Company

Annapolis Bows & Violins

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe