Kun collapsable

July 3, 2021, 2:36 AM · Hi all,
This should be a somewhat simple question haha. Is the Kun collapsable the same as the Kun original other than that the feet collaps? I.e. is it the same shape?

Thanks!

Replies (6)

July 3, 2021, 4:19 AM · Yes.

But less safe.

July 3, 2021, 4:29 AM · Less safe how?
July 3, 2021, 5:56 AM · Sideways pull & push could help to unhook it.
I suppose.
July 3, 2021, 8:33 AM · (my violin models are from 5-8 years ago) The collapsible brackets have 3 holes on each side vs. 4 for the original. 4 means more options for adjustments, which is useful for students, though not necessary for myself.

The collapsible bracket is ever so slightly wider than the original bracket, which means the original bracket will fit in the slot on the collapsible bar, but not vice versa. Not a necessary or common use case at all, I only tested out of curiosity and convenience.

My original falls off more often, though that is more attributed to the violin it's on, rather than the shoulder rest. Curiosity and convenience, I'm going to test that today.

July 3, 2021, 8:39 AM · I have used both. They are essentially interchangeable. No, it doesn't collapse while you're playing. It's intended to fit into your case better. My daughter needs a new Kun and I'm going to give her my old collapsible because I switched to the Everest. If you like the Kun basic design but you just want to try something else that's similar-but-different, I recommend the Everest. The Everest is *slightly* higher and more secure feeling than the Kun.
July 3, 2021, 2:04 PM · I'd ideally like the original, but that won't fit in my case. So its gotta be the collapsable

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Silent Violin
Yamaha Silent Violin

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Virtual Sejong Music Competition
Virtual Sejong Music Competition

Violinist.com Business Directory
Violinist.com Business Directory

Antonio Strad Violin

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Bobelock Cases

Fiddlerman.com

Fiddlershop

Los Angeles Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Violin-Strings.com

Metzler Violin Shop

Leatherwood Bespoke Rosin

Warchal

Barenreiter

Johnson String Instrument and Carriage House Violins

Potter Violins

String Masters

Bein & Company

Annapolis Bows & Violins

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe