Best Violin Tuner App (Android Phones)

June 29, 2021, 11:39 AM · Does anyone have a favorite phone app for tuning violins?

I really like the iStroboSoft from Peterson but it is iOS only.* I'm currently recommending gStrings for Android but would be curious if anyone has one they particularly like.

*The "Sweetener Packs" are iOS only, without those, it's not terribly useful.

Replies (5)

Edited: June 29, 2021, 12:03 PM · I like Soundcorset, although nowadays I only ever use the metronome half. I think years of tuning by ear has permanently burned A440 into my skull.

Anyways, it is a really good metronome. You can customize the groove to quite a good degree. It also has a recorder, too.

June 30, 2021, 6:20 AM · I use Cleartune, but only to tune the A.
Edited: June 30, 2021, 12:46 PM · Even without the sweetener packs, I just check that the E string is +2 cents, the D is -2 cents, and the G string -4 cents.
June 30, 2021, 1:43 PM · TE tuner is the best tuner app and worth the $3, they have it on the google play stores. It has drones in all octaves, you can record yourself and play it back at different tempos, and comes with a very advanced metronome too.
Edited: July 3, 2021, 10:32 AM · I'm pretty happy with Tunable as my tuning (and metronome) app on my Android phone. One complaint I have is that despite offering many choices of temperament, it doesn't distinguish between, say, a G# and an Ab. This fixation on enharmonic equivalents shows it was created by someone very rooted in piano and equal temperament, missing the point of the role of temperament in harmony or even just in melody. But this quibble is more academic than practical for violinists, so Tuneable is plenty good enough for me until I am ready to carefully study theory and composition!

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Silent Violin
Yamaha Silent Violin

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Virtual Sejong Music Competition
Virtual Sejong Music Competition

Violinist.com Business Directory
Violinist.com Business Directory

Antonio Strad Violin

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Bobelock Cases

Fiddlerman.com

Fiddlershop

Los Angeles Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Violin-Strings.com

Metzler Violin Shop

Leatherwood Bespoke Rosin

Warchal

Barenreiter

Johnson String Instrument and Carriage House Violins

Potter Violins

String Masters

Bein & Company

Annapolis Bows & Violins

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe