D'Addario Tuner

June 10, 2021, 1:52 PM · I purchased one of these when my Snark tuner started failing on me (not a battery issue), but neither I nor my teacher can open the battery compartment to remove the tape which will allow the tuner to be turned on. Has anyone else had this issue? I hate to try and pry it open with a knife...

Replies (11)

June 10, 2021, 1:57 PM · When I got mine, I had no issue with that I don't think. May just be the luck of the draw
June 10, 2021, 2:45 PM · I have several of the D’Addario violin tuners and don’t recall opening the compartment to remove the plastic tab. I think I just pulled it out and presto, working tuner. (I have replaced batteries in them before, but out of curiosity I just opened one and this one at least wasn’t easy. I had to sort of put a thumbnail under the edge and pry on it. A small screwdriver might be easier?)
Edited: June 10, 2021, 2:52 PM · Some can be difficult. Push the sides in gently and pull straight back. Sometimes it takes a little force when pulling back. Once you do it, it will be easier after that.
June 10, 2021, 7:33 PM · Finally, a very small screwdriver did the trick. It helped to know that this isn't uncommon.
June 10, 2021, 8:48 PM · I used small pliers to grab the compartment cover and pull it off - every time.
Edited: June 11, 2021, 7:32 AM · That is the first time I have seen these. Does anybody else make a tuner that clips onto the body like that ?

What size battery does it take ? Even the packaging does not say ( I found a photo online). I see that it will stay on for 10 minutes before turning itself off. Is that correct ?

I have been using a guitar tuner which clips onto the scroll and it is always in danger of falling off or making a vibrating noise as it touches the pegs.

Edited: June 11, 2021, 7:06 PM · It uses a single CR2032 lithium battery but I think the compartment will also hold two CR 2016 batteries (most such battery compartments will).

I don't know how long it will stay on because I always turn mine off as soon as I finish checking my tuning. However, there are times I have left it mounted on the instrument while playing if I anticipate needing future string intonation checks while the noisy (orchestral) environment continues.

But I would never leave the device "on" electrically because those little batteries run out of energy pretty fast.

The same tuning device is also sold in a different clamping mechanism that holds it on a cello bridge - that works just as well. I have tried some other devices that clip on the violin scroll, but I like this one most. Only problem with it, it tends to make one a "lazy tuner" and when I can hear myself I always finish the job by "checking the "fifths."

June 12, 2021, 2:20 AM · Thanks . I was hoping it was a CR2032. I use the rechargeable version of this battery. I leave mine on to check intonation when shifting. If stays on for 10 minutes then I will be very happy ; most tuners only stay on for 5 minutes.
Edited: June 12, 2021, 4:10 AM · I've got a micro d'Addario violin tuner. It's a very tight fit on my electric violin. Initially I didn't think it would fit at all, but I forced it on one day when I could see that it didn't look like breaking, so the tolerances are pretty fine.
June 12, 2021, 8:14 AM · I trimmed the rubber feet on one of these to fit one of my violas - and it worked. The normal spacing was a tinny bit too narrow. An unaltered d'Addario will just fit my other, slightly thinner, viola; so that's all I need in my double (violin/viola) case.
Edited: June 12, 2021, 2:23 PM · What I didn't anticipate, is mounting it on the body means it's a bit close for my "music stand glasses", but that's ok. I see it well enough for my needs, which lasts about 3 seconds at the start of a practice session.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Silent Violin
Yamaha Silent Violin

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

ArmSymphony AI Violin Competition
ArmSymphony AI Violin Competition

Find a Summer Music Program
Find a Summer Music Program

Violinist.com Business Directory
Violinist.com Business Directory

AVIVA Young Artist Program

Antonio Strad Violin

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Bobelock Cases

Fiddlerman.com

Fiddlershop

Los Angeles Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Violin-Strings.com

Metzler Violin Shop

Leatherwood Bespoke Rosin

Warchal

Barenreiter

Johnson String Instrument and Carriage House Violins

Potter Violins

String Masters

Bein & Company

Annapolis Bows & Violins

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe