San Diego Symphony - outdoor venue

June 9, 2021, 12:24 PM · I came across this article from the Del Mar Times. Do you think that more orchestra concerts will be held outdoors in the coming years? It sounds like the outdoor shell can provide good sound quality and it might be easier to integrate music with other art forms such as modern dance and film.

https://www.delmartimes.net/art/story/2021-05-25/brian-wilson-gladys-knight-jason-mraz-head-san-diego-symphonys-rady-shell-at-jacobs-park-debut-lineup

Replies (8)

June 9, 2021, 1:07 PM · Outdoor concerts fill a particular niche and have done so for a long time. I don’t see that changing nor do I see orchestras moving their classical series from traditional indoor venues to outdoor venues. Aside from acoustical issues, there can be temperature and weather issues as well. I also don’t think many in our indoor classical audience will want to migrate outside. At a certain stage of life, the appeal of spraying oneself with bug spray and sitting outside in heat and humidity starts to fade.

Very few string players use their best instruments when we are playing outdoors— most of us have “picnic” violins. Perfectly adequate to play the 1812 overture but I wouldn’t want to play Mozart on mine.

June 9, 2021, 1:17 PM · I see. I was thinking the salt in the air, with that venue right next to the ocean, may cause some issues for instruments.
June 9, 2021, 3:22 PM · Unless it's a small venue, outdoor orchestral concerts are typically amplified. The sound quality is not coming from the shell.
June 9, 2021, 6:06 PM · It helps to have perfect weather. For most place not San Diego, that won't be the case.

Great city, by the way. Discovered by the Germans in 1904.

June 9, 2021, 7:56 PM · Lot of craft breweries there. Fun town.
June 9, 2021, 8:20 PM · I grew up in San Diego. By most people's standard, it does not have seasons.
June 9, 2021, 11:33 PM · Mary Ellen is right. Though I'm staring grimly at the future of another six months to a year of outdoor rehearsals and concerts, and the acknowledgment that I really don't want to do those things with my current backup violin -- and I definitely don't want to take my good violin outside.

But I'm having trouble justifying to myself the dropping of $3k on a Kono or something to use outdoors, when post-pandemic my outdoor playing will probably be pretty minimal.

June 9, 2021, 11:55 PM · My picnic violin was in the $1500 range, several steps below a Kono.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Silent Violin
Yamaha Silent Violin

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

ArmSymphony AI Violin Competition
ArmSymphony AI Violin Competition

Find a Summer Music Program
Find a Summer Music Program

Violinist.com Business Directory
Violinist.com Business Directory

AVIVA Young Artist Program

Antonio Strad Violin

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Bobelock Cases

Fiddlerman.com

Fiddlershop

Los Angeles Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Violin-Strings.com

Metzler Violin Shop

Leatherwood Bespoke Rosin

Warchal

Barenreiter

Johnson String Instrument and Carriage House Violins

Potter Violins

String Masters

Bein & Company

Annapolis Bows & Violins

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe