Potential scam from 469-428-5356

June 4, 2021, 2:49 PM · I received this text message from a person who said she obtained my contact information from this website:

"We are located in Arizona, could you send me your address also, please Reply back on:

(1). Your charges per 1 hour (3 times a week for 2 Weeks): Starting from 5th June until 19th June 2021

(2) Total Cost For 6 class/6 hours lessons in 2 Weeks

(3). The Day and time you will be available to teach him During the week:

Please send me the name to be written on the check and the address where the check should be mailed too. and send me your Cell number the check will be sent Via FedEx/UPS courier service and it's safe and faster, i will be waiting to hear from you."

At this point I had already indicated that I was no longer get teaching in Arizona and referred her to the school, with another teacher's name(no contact info)

Yet she persists in asking for my address to send me that chack via Fedex.

Please be aware that the instructions she provided are a script sent out by many scammers, for many other things besides violin lessons

Replies (24)

June 4, 2021, 4:12 PM · Yeah I saw a scam like that a few years ago in my inbox. The way it works, apparently, is that they send you more than you charged (but in a form that you can't redeem) and ask that you send the excess amount back. Or something like that.
June 4, 2021, 4:54 PM · I have slightly different circumstances then most people so it allows me to not answer calls from any number I do not recognize, and if it is a real and important issue they will leave a message and then I will respond back. So many times they leave some kind of scam voicemail message and the most popular one is that there's a warrant out for my arrest and to pick up immediately to talk to them about it. How can these people lay down in bed at night and close their eyes thinking they did a good day's work conning people in one aspect or another? It is way beyond my comprehension.

There is numerous YouTube videos of telemarketing scammers calling hackers and the hackers play along and ask where would you like me to send the check to, and then whatever they do it shows them destroying the telemarketers computer system and bank account and I think it is unfortunate that more people do not have this level of expertise to wipe out these parasites.

June 4, 2021, 5:19 PM · Yes, the music teacher scam. I played along with one of those a few years ago. Someone claiming to be from Peru, unable to travel, wanting violin lessons for his daughter. My last email message to him was No, and "why would any father send their underage daughter to meet a stranger, older man, alone at his house? --Silence.
June 4, 2021, 7:59 PM · Lol for a while I was getting these at least once a week.

"Hello, I have 13 children whom each are going to take 1 hour lessons at your place of business. I am on a business trip so I will arrange for a bus to take them there. What is your address so they can begin electric bass lessons?"

Or something hilarious like that.

June 4, 2021, 10:36 PM · I’ve gotten variations of that one many times.

The funniest one suggested that I could meet their child for lessons (“tutoring”) at the public library if I preferred. Yeah, no, don’t think violin lessons at the library are a thing.

June 5, 2021, 8:37 AM · On occasion, when I've had a chance and remembered, I've asked them why they're lying to me, and told him to be a man and get a job. The response at best was disconnection, but I can hope and imagine that that might have some effect in time.
June 5, 2021, 11:22 AM · I try not to let phone scammers go away unscathed.

My latest is telling them that their accent is easily identifiable, followed by asking if they have no sense of national pride, and are OK with people forming prejudices against people from their nation, based on a preponderance of phone experience.
June 5, 2021, 11:51 AM · I know someone who greeted scammers with this.

"This is an active crime scene and I will need to get your name, all of your info, and how you know the deceased.

June 5, 2021, 12:55 PM · As far as I know, many of these callers DO have a job. This is their job. They are basically working in a call center, with a script, dialing for dollars. For them the job isn't hugely different working for a scammer than for a "legit" telemarketing firm, and whatever abuse is directed at them isn't really any different, either.
June 5, 2021, 1:25 PM · Most people in these business ventures are not only aware that it's illegitimate but are actively directed and filtered towards that end. Adding an "honest" or "real" qualifier to "job" wouldn't make the point stronger - stating that as a contrast to what they're actually doing at that time does so, and it doesn't take great or native linguistic skills to get the point.
June 5, 2021, 2:41 PM · Yeah I try not to be a D*** to people who call me, because it's their job and it's probably the only one they have available. It's really sad when you can tell telemarketers are expecting you to lash out at them, because their voice is already trembling.

"Legit" USA-based firms, as lydia noted, are basically there to take your money without giving anything in return, just like scammers from other countries. But regardless of origin, I try to be assertive and nice.

June 5, 2021, 5:52 PM · A useful method of dealing with a phone scammer is to treat it as a regular business call, take the initiative (this is important!), and politely ask the caller for their name, department, and the nature of their business, perhaps asking them to repeat it slowly - as if you were making a note of it. If that information is not forthcoming then - again politely - tell them that you do not deal with anonymous callers, and hang up. And do not under any circumstances reveal your personal details, including your identity.
Edited: June 6, 2021, 9:13 AM · Erik, would you apply the same justification to human traffickers, or people who sell heroin laced with fentanyl? That it's their job, or maybe even the only job they can find? Where would you draw the line?
June 6, 2021, 9:50 AM · People should be aware that with modern equipment, phone scammers and business "contact centers" can program any number they want to show up in your caller id. Posting the phone number for this particular scam call may not be that useful, since it could change with each call. Have to be vigilant in today's world!
June 6, 2021, 3:03 PM · About once a month I get a call which the caller ID shows as my own number. Read that these are the worst of the scammers out there and how the researchers come to that conclusion I do not know.
Edited: June 6, 2021, 3:09 PM · Tom is right. Try to call back and you'll probably get the canned message "the number or code you have dialed is in error." I literally got chased out of my previous phone # because I was getting 5 - 10 spam calls a day. Because my son has some medical issues, I always felt I had to answer the phone even while working on the roof. It got so bad I changed my phone company and phone #.

I DESPISE spam callers and the robot companies that crank them out. And I hold the phone companies responsible for delivering literally millions of spam calls. Surely they must be able to tell when calls are being made by robots with fake #s, so I can only suspect they are getting paid to deliver those calls and they care more about colluding with criminals for money than protecting their legitimate retail customers from fraud and nuisance.

June 6, 2021, 3:16 PM · Spam and scam phone calls would disappear if the phone companies were allowed to charge the callers' number one cent per call.
June 6, 2021, 3:19 PM · Absolutely nothing new here.
It's why I stopped advertising on Craigslist many years ago.
Edited: June 6, 2021, 4:07 PM · Some great responses, observations, and suggestions above. I have a few responses to add. These often result in the caller hanging up:

- "This call is being recorded and is going to the police."
- "Labas." (or some other word for 'hello' aside from this one, which is in Lithuanian).
- "Sorry, we do not deal with anyone we don't know."
- "Who is this?....Who?....I can't hear you."

Whatever you do, NEVER say "yes."

Anyway, good luck. Scam calls are truly a pandemic.

Edited: June 7, 2021, 8:30 AM · I do not answer calls from numbers my phone does not recognize. My voice mail message says that I respond quickly to email and that I will look at texts that start with the sender's name. Anyone who needs to contact me can find my email address because I am a state university employee.

Answering the spam call so that you can mouth off to the caller is cheap entertainment, but it's a bad idea. When you answer, or if you respond in any way, then your number (or email address) goes onto a list of people who responded. This data then gets sold to other spammers, and your problems multiply.

June 7, 2021, 11:52 AM · Paul, that may work for your situation, but not mine. Most of my business comes in from names and phone numbers I would have no way of recognizing, unless I spent all my time compiling a quickly searchable list of everyone who is a stringed instrument enthusiast, which would leave me no time to make. Searching this list would need to be done within the first five phone rings, to make a decision to answer it or not.

Moreover, I've gotten scam calls from phone numbers which showed up on my caller ID as being my own, so I don't think that recognition of a phone number has much value, since source phone numbers are so easily spoofed.

June 8, 2021, 8:16 AM · Obviously a future Paganini just requiring your brilliant teaching skills!

Can I sell you a genuine Amati. Its been labelled Made In China to disguise it from potential theifs.

Edited: June 10, 2021, 3:50 PM · Not being a business, I don't have to pick up calls from numbers I don't recognize. I've never seen my own number spoofed, although I'm sure it's possible, and is one thing I'd never pick up. Other obvious scammers are completely invalid numbers (I often get 'V' followed by a string of digits), "BLOCKED" or equivalent, or any number beginning with a toll-free prefix (800, 888, 877, etc.).

If I do pick up the phone and say hello, the caller has two seconds to say something before I hang up. Most telemarketing firms use a dialer which they feed a list of numbers to call; as soon as someone picks up, the call is routed to the next available agent. This usually results in a delay of several seconds before someone comes on the line - by which time I'm gone.

Very few telemarketers leave a message, so ignoring them is pretty effective.

One common scam is to try to frighten victims into believing that their machine contains a virus which can be removed if the victim gives control of his or her computer to the scammer - who then has access to the victim's personal information. If you're looking for entertainment, go onto YouTube and search for "scamming the scammers". There are some hilarious interchanges there, where someone keeps a scammer on the line for an hour or more (taking them out of play, as it were) by acting like a bumbling little old lady who is computer-impaired - while at the same time breaking into the scammer's computer and wiping their files. The really good ones first download a list of the scammer's potential victims and notify both them and their banks.

Oh, one more thing. The reason you should never say the word "yes" is that some scammers will record it and play it back into systems that need a sample of your voice granting permission to access your funds or personal information. Don't give them the chance.

Edited: June 12, 2021, 2:31 PM · It is best not to list your actual phone number on the Internet. That is why Violinist.com has the option for you to set up your profile page so that you can be privately emailed, without showing your email address. I really don’t recommend having your phone number be listed in your bio. You can change all those settings and re-word your bio by going to your profile page.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Silent Violin
Yamaha Silent Violin

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

ArmSymphony AI Violin Competition
ArmSymphony AI Violin Competition

Find a Summer Music Program
Find a Summer Music Program

Violinist.com Business Directory
Violinist.com Business Directory

AVIVA Young Artist Program

Antonio Strad Violin

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Bobelock Cases

Fiddlerman.com

Fiddlershop

Los Angeles Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Violin-Strings.com

Metzler Violin Shop

Leatherwood Bespoke Rosin

Warchal

Barenreiter

Johnson String Instrument and Carriage House Violins

Potter Violins

String Masters

Bein & Company

Annapolis Bows & Violins

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe