New Rosin Line from Leatherwood: Eco Rosin

June 3, 2021, 12:30 PM · I got an email from Leatherwood about their new line of Eco Rosins. I'll have to give them a try, but I just ordered a Crisp from their regular line.

The new line is about half of the cost of their regular offerings, and eschews the deerskin and wood casings for a simpler approach.

https://www.simplyforstrings.com.au/products/eco-rosin-by-leatherwood-violin/

Replies (12)

June 3, 2021, 1:49 PM · I receives that email as well. I love the concept but seeing as I have 2 cakes of their regular rosin I probably won’t be purchasing the new one. Looking forward to hearing reviews for it though!
June 3, 2021, 3:06 PM · I am also on their spam list. I must say, if the actual rosin is any good at all, it will be worth more than the regular line. I just don't get the packaging for that stuff-- the deerskin wrappings are a complete nuisance.
June 3, 2021, 3:38 PM · It's astounding the lengths that rosin manufacturers have to go in order to differentiate their products.
June 3, 2021, 4:31 PM · Soooo ordinary premium rosin, minus the premium frills. So just ordinary rosin.
June 3, 2021, 6:54 PM · I am happy to hear this. We have never tried their products because our family is more or less Hindu and deerskin is just not OK for us. It's good to see them going in this direction. Definitely going to try it now!
June 3, 2021, 9:15 PM · So, Cotton, How many of the Leatherwood rosins have YOU tried?
June 3, 2021, 11:20 PM · If you weren't aware, last fall (possibly before), Leatherwood introduced little drawstring bags instead of leather wraps.

The bags aren't great quality, unfortunately, but they're serviceable. I suspect if I wanted something that seemed nicer I'd buy a good D&D dice bag for my rosin.

Edited: June 4, 2021, 1:56 AM · Leatherwood are Australian.
Maybe the rosin should be supplied in a kangaroo scrotum?
June 4, 2021, 12:10 PM · I don't care much for the vegan aspect of the rosin, I'm not planning on eating it.

It doesn't look like they are offering different options for crisp and supple, I suppose this is intentional to avoid cannibalizing sales from their Bespoke line.

Would any early adopters care to comment on how the Eco compare to others?

June 4, 2021, 6:52 PM · Hmmm... is the regular rosin line made from bacon?
June 4, 2021, 7:53 PM · I personally find all eco-friendly marketing a gimmick to sell to those who care for these things. It will inevitably work for some of you (I have no problem with that at all), and I do believe in conservancy and climate change. But the product should be better than the gimmick-which may be the case to be fair, but something I am not willing to try *due* to the gimmick in the first place.

I apply the same logic to some of my other personal interests-I have nothing against Leatherwood rosin in general. Won't buy anything just because it is touted as eco friendly, free of all animal abuse, and other similar marketing schemes. I love animals. It just doesn't jive with me at all.

(I personally believe the coolest thing about Leatherwood is the allegedly non-eco friendly (?) packaging. More than happy with my non-Leatherwood rosin, regardless.)

June 4, 2021, 8:11 PM · I've always been worried about not knowing what is in the rosin since you might inhale some of the dust.

I normally get my daughter a cake of rosin for her birthday and given how much she cares about the environment and animal welfare, this might be a good choice.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Silent Violin
Yamaha Silent Violin

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

ArmSymphony AI Violin Competition
ArmSymphony AI Violin Competition

Find a Summer Music Program
Find a Summer Music Program

Violinist.com Business Directory
Violinist.com Business Directory

AVIVA Young Artist Program

Antonio Strad Violin

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Bobelock Cases

Fiddlerman.com

Fiddlershop

Los Angeles Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Violin-Strings.com

Metzler Violin Shop

Leatherwood Bespoke Rosin

Warchal

Barenreiter

Johnson String Instrument and Carriage House Violins

Potter Violins

String Masters

Bein & Company

Annapolis Bows & Violins

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe