Wolf Forte Secondo (feet)

Edited: June 3, 2021, 8:30 PM · I LOVE my Wolf Forte! My shoulder loves it, my neck is happy. It's the first I've found that gets tall enough for the chest side (as high as it will go), and low enough for the shoulder side (almost as low as it will go).

The problem is it tends to fall off my violin. NOT when I'm playing, thankfully, it tends to do this when in the stand. I suspect that the bout(?) on my 18th century instrument is a little more narrow than the feet were designed for. There is little noticeable tension when I put it on my instrument.

Ideas on how I might address this? I do not want another SR...

Replies (24)

June 1, 2021, 7:01 PM · My Secundo falls off after a while even when I think it's tight. I think they all do this and I don't leave it for any length of time on the hanger without removing the shoulder rest because I can't pick things up off the floor without a grabber tool. Now I have switched back to the Everest setup that I had before though the Secundo is more comfortable it just sets the instrument at the wrong angle despite hours of bending and adjusting. Sigh. I'm so glad you are happy! It makes me happy! Yay!
Edited: June 2, 2021, 4:39 PM · Bend the legs inward a bit so it fits just a little more snugly. I used the Wolf for 20 years or more and yes, it did fall off from time to time.
Edited: June 1, 2021, 8:50 PM · Ann, thanks for the feedback that this is just normal for the SR. It's perfect otherwise, and it is quite stable when playing. Sadly the Everest doesn't work for me at all, pity, as that was the first one I had :-)

Andrew, I will try bending the legs in a bit. Between this SR and the tall Wave 2 CR my body is very happy!

June 1, 2021, 9:08 PM · Have you tried gluing it to the instrument?
June 1, 2021, 9:09 PM · Catherine, I'm currently inventing a product that will solve that problem. I hope to have it available within a few months.
June 2, 2021, 9:03 AM · Cotton - you are a bad man :-)

Erik, I've seen your thread. It's NOT a problem when I'm actually playing, only when it's "at rest" in the stand.

June 2, 2021, 2:14 PM · Lol, it would still solve your problem. I know exactly how that happens. The wolf is super flexible, so as you play and press down with your chin, the feet gradually splay out from each other and it loses its grip. And it may not be a problem when you're playing *yet* but if it's falling off when you hang it from your stand, chances are it will eventually fall while you're playing.
June 2, 2021, 2:31 PM · Do you have a cat? (How can it fall off on the stand with no stress?)
June 2, 2021, 2:39 PM · Erin, Gravity. Hang the instrument and the rest falls off eventually.
June 2, 2021, 4:21 PM · I suspect it may be related to how it sits on my stand and I may be doing something to unseat it just enough when I place it on the stand. I will explore...
June 2, 2021, 4:33 PM · I think I'm getting confused now... what do you mean by your "stand"?

I would bet money on the issue being the one I mentioned in my last post, though. This is very common with Wolf Secundo. Either that or the screw that adjusts the distance between the feet is loose, so it's letting the feet slip apart. Are you familiar with all the components of the Wolf and how to adjust them?

June 2, 2021, 8:53 PM · I meant my violin stand. I just use it when I need to set it down in my practice sessions. Between the very tall Wave 2 CR and the Wolf Forte it sits at an odd angle on the stand. I will look into the Wolf components more deeply.
June 3, 2021, 2:08 AM · Catherine, how would the chinrest affect how it's sitting on the stand?
June 3, 2021, 5:05 AM · As a first thing, its name is "Secondo" (not secundo) :)
Being italian has some advantages, from time to time.

I have been using the Forte Secondo for many years, i own three (one bought in the middle '80s, two in last 10 years).
I loved it. Even if it often slipped and fell down in the ground, as the OP says. I've never been able to avoid it.

I said that i loved it because 2 years ago i came across another shoulder rest that blew me away as sound, compared to the Wolf.
More usable, more confortable, does not choke the sound of the violin as the Wolf seems to do (i made comparison recordings, with spectrum and dynamics analizers too).
And it does not slip.

It seems to be the best SR i came across, and i wanted to be sure to be able to buy another one, in case, but i can't find it anywhere on the web and in the builder's website.

Image 1

June 3, 2021, 7:42 AM · Marco, an Arcus shoulder rest? This strongly suggests to me that it may be made by the same people who make the up-market CF Arcus bows. Is it of CF construction? If it is, and made by Arcus, then that may explain its good acoustic properties. Worth investigating.

As an aside, "Arcus", as in Arcus Bows, is likely a registered trademark, so anyone, other than Arcus themselves, using that trademark for a violin-related product without Arcus's permission could find themselves on the wrong end of a trademark infringement action.

Edited: June 3, 2021, 8:22 AM · I did not explain myself very well in my last post. Besides that, i had linked 2 images, and written other text after the links, but probably i made a mistake in closing html tags, so now i can't even have access to the EDIT button. (if someone can fix it......)

The SR i showed is made by Bernd Musing of Arcus himself.
When in 2019 i went to the Expo i tested bows all day, with my violin, and he asked me if i wanted to test this SR too, made by him.

I liked the SR much more than the bows, and at the end of the day i asked if he could sell it. He did. And i never asked if it's in production, a prototype, etc.

I can't see it listed in his website, and anywhere else on the web.

It's made in carbon fiber. Very solid, very confortable. And, most important, it seems to let low notes ring much more free than other SR i own (other than Wolf SRs i have a Kun collapsable, and a wooden Mach One).

June 3, 2021, 8:29 PM · Eric - it is a very tall CR, so much that so that between the SR and CR it doesn't quite fit the space on my stand where the violin rests, it's at an odd angle. It doesn't hurt anything but it may encourage this problem.
Edited: June 4, 2021, 9:02 AM · RE: ARCUS SHOULDER REST-- RESPONSE FROM ARCUS
"Hello,
I think that Marco has mixed something up here. We don't make shoulder rests. There is a very good shoulder rest though from "Pedi".
http://www.pedidesign.com/en/products/cases_parts/
They should be available in many violin shops and online. For some players they are perfect, but maybe only 10 or 20%, as they are not so well adjustable.
Our best selling shoulder rest is the VLM Diamond. They are perfectly adjustable, sit closer to the collar bone, never ever fall of and also sound great with a majority of instruments.
https://www.vlm-augustin.com/en/products/vlm-augustin-diamond
This is also the shoulder rest that I use myself, both on the violin and the viola.
Best wishes,
Bernd"
LATER:
"Hello,
We put the Arcus stick on all the shoulder rests we take to exhibitions and conventions as otherwise they usually "disappear" during the event. :)
Underneath that Arcus sticker you would find the Pedi logo.
Best wishes,
Bernd"
Edited: June 4, 2021, 8:20 AM · Catherine, I use Kun feet (because they are available in a variety of lengths) on my Wolf SR. Kun feet have a more sculpted curve, which may fit your violin better than the Wolf feet. Maybe a friend has a Kun and would let you try the feet on your Wolf? Have a look at what's available: https://www.sharmusic.com/Accessories/Shoulder-Rest-Parts/?keywords=&pageLength=36&cid=1321&Filter_Brand=KUN
Edited: June 4, 2021, 9:28 AM · >>>> RESPONSE FROM ARCUS
"Hello,
I think that Marco has mixed something up here. We don't make shoulder rests. There is a very good shoulder rest though from "Pedi".
<<<<<<<

Response from Marco:
Marco (myself) is very happy to discover where he can find another identical SR, now that he know it's not made by Arcus.

Marco has not mixed things: simply was not informed by mr Musing regarding reality of facts.
Mr Musing is a master in eloquence. Driving speeches in a wanted direction is a form of art, indeed.

[I believe it's clear that i'm actually not in a good relationship with mr Musing, after some events in the past. Each one his own].

June 4, 2021, 9:31 AM · Well Marco, his attempt to "even the score" worked out to your advantage!!
June 4, 2021, 10:11 AM · My take on this is that a manufacturer who became aware that his trademark on his product, seen in a public exhibition, was deliberately obscured by some other manufacturer's trademark, would likely not be best pleased.
June 4, 2021, 10:16 AM · Trevor, i agree with you. I had not searched estensively on the web, because i had no right target to aim.
Now that i know that the model is "Pedi Elegante", and have already found a good seller, i'm happy that this parallel issue has been raised.

It seems that Pedi is a chinese brand, as far as i can see.
Surely, putting a stick over the real brand did not a service to them, and to me.

And i agree also with Erin. :)

June 4, 2021, 1:12 PM · I managed to write an email to Pedi, for reporting the case of the sticker upon their logo.

To the OP i want to say, once again:
try to test some other "new material" SR, if you can. As i said, i was a big proponent of Wolf Forte Secondo rests...... until i started using this carbon Pedi..........
I don't know if it's me, but i can hear quite a difference in harmonics in low notes. Hear, and record too.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Silent Violin
Yamaha Silent Violin

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

ArmSymphony AI Violin Competition
ArmSymphony AI Violin Competition

Find a Summer Music Program
Find a Summer Music Program

Violinist.com Business Directory
Violinist.com Business Directory

AVIVA Young Artist Program

Antonio Strad Violin

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Bobelock Cases

Fiddlerman.com

Fiddlershop

Los Angeles Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Violin-Strings.com

Metzler Violin Shop

Leatherwood Bespoke Rosin

Warchal

Barenreiter

Johnson String Instrument and Carriage House Violins

Potter Violins

String Masters

Bein & Company

Annapolis Bows & Violins

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe