Dogal Vivaldi Synthetic Gut

Edited: June 1, 2021, 3:14 PM · Has anyone tried these strings? I read that they include carbor fiber in the core, which can reduce soundboard stress. The strings appear to be available in the Eurozone (manufactured in Italy).

I've used Rondo, Warchal Amber, and Pro Arte strings in the last two years. I wonder how these Vivaldi strings compare.

Replies (11)

June 1, 2021, 9:06 PM · I have not heard of these strings, but that bit about carbon fibre sounds 100% like commercialese to me. Where are they sold?

I only play on plain gut. I expect these synthetics to sound absolutely nothing like real gut but it still might be fun to compare.

June 1, 2021, 9:58 PM · It looks like they are sold online. Shar and Strings By Mail sell them.
June 2, 2021, 5:34 AM · i wonder how it would work for the core of wire wrapped strings, would it sound like Eudoxa or like regular synthetic?
June 2, 2021, 6:54 AM · Or are these not plain gut substitute but just another synthetic core wrapped string that claims to sound like gut??
Edited: June 2, 2021, 7:03 AM · But with added soundboard stress reduction.
I suppose that means they are lighter than nylon therefore less tense? Carbon is denser than gut is denser than nylon.
I forget what all that means.
June 2, 2021, 7:08 AM · I think gut is in this string description for advertising and marketing purposes only with nothing at all to do with a real gut string.
June 2, 2021, 7:21 AM · but there is another company making synthetic plain gut strings, has anyone tried them,
Edited: June 2, 2021, 9:01 AM · I checked their website. The string seems to be a nylon and carbon fibre composite with standard al and silver windings. So by their definition, every synthetic on the market is synthetic gut. If you want a high density, low tension / small diametre string, we have helicore...

Aquila makes an actual synthetic gut called Nylgut. It is intended for plucked instruments, although I believe there is a new version for historical bowed instruments.

June 2, 2021, 9:02 AM · Carbon fiber can't of itself reduce soundboard stress unless they are saying that it allows them to make a string of unusually low tension. It certainly won't sound or play like gut from what I have read from people here. I don't have personal experience but I do know the characteristics of carbon fiber.
June 2, 2021, 9:05 AM · The more I play, the more I want nothing but real gut strings. To me, they really do sound best.
June 2, 2021, 10:52 AM · I'm leaning more towards low tension strings these days.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Silent Violin
Yamaha Silent Violin

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

ArmSymphony AI Violin Competition
ArmSymphony AI Violin Competition

Find a Summer Music Program
Find a Summer Music Program

Violinist.com Business Directory
Violinist.com Business Directory

AVIVA Young Artist Program

Antonio Strad Violin

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Bobelock Cases

Fiddlerman.com

Fiddlershop

Los Angeles Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Violin-Strings.com

Metzler Violin Shop

Leatherwood Bespoke Rosin

Warchal

Barenreiter

Johnson String Instrument and Carriage House Violins

Potter Violins

String Masters

Bein & Company

Annapolis Bows & Violins

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe