I missed with Mozart Adagio

Edited: May 31, 2021, 8:07 AM · I would like to pick your brains a bit. I decided I would like to learn the Adagio, K. 261. The arrangement I found on IMSLP is much much different than that recorded by Mr. Perlman on YouTube. I found, on MuseScore, one similar to the video, but the cadenza is different. To those of you familiar with the piece, which edition do you prefer for performance?
Also, what are your thoughts on urtext editions?
Thanks for your input.
Jerry

Replies (6)

Edited: May 30, 2021, 6:50 PM · SHAR has one edited by Francescatti and that's probably good. The cadenza that Perlman plays is probably his own. Not sure how you get your hands on the printed notes for that.

Such a pretty piece, I'm not sure it needs much of a cadenza.

May 30, 2021, 7:18 PM · Thanks Paul, I will look at that. What are your thoughts on the urtext versions out there?
May 30, 2021, 9:54 PM · I see that IMSLP has no edition with piano (which is what you probably would want to have).

Generally speaking I like Urtexts. They are the best achievable approximation to the music as written by the composer. It is certainly interesting to see how Francescatti thought about the piece; but with the Urtext we can see what he added, altered or omitted (if anything), other wise we can't see how his version differs from the original as far as it can be reconstructed.

There are certainly plenty of editions out there. I have forgotten which one I own and it is on moving truck across the US just now. It was cheap and I bought it about 50 years ago (I had a blind friend who was an organist and he made me play the piece several times at funerals--always negotiating a nice honorarium for me). I agree with Paul that the cadenza is at best as discrete as possible.

May 31, 2021, 8:07 AM · Thanks for your reply. I will get an urtext edition and take it from there. Good luck Albrecht with the move.
May 31, 2021, 8:58 AM · IMSLP version for violin & piano:
https://imslp.eu/files/imglnks/euimg/9/93/IMSLP295450-PMLP479136-Mozart_261001.pdf
May 31, 2021, 11:24 AM · Andrew, that edition is the one that prompted this thread. Specifically the section 5 measures from “B” through to “C” and that 5 measures from “E”. In the recording, these sections sound much cleaner and have an appealing lilt that, at least in my hands, is lacking in the edition you referenced.

I am planning to order the urtext edition. Thanks.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Silent Violin
Yamaha Silent Violin

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

ArmSymphony AI Violin Competition
ArmSymphony AI Violin Competition

Find a Summer Music Program
Find a Summer Music Program

Violinist.com Business Directory
Violinist.com Business Directory

AVIVA Young Artist Program

Antonio Strad Violin

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Bobelock Cases

Fiddlerman.com

Fiddlershop

Los Angeles Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Violin-Strings.com

Metzler Violin Shop

Leatherwood Bespoke Rosin

Warchal

Barenreiter

Johnson String Instrument and Carriage House Violins

Potter Violins

String Masters

Bein & Company

Annapolis Bows & Violins

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe