Violin A string choking

May 28, 2021, 6:51 AM · I recently got new violin
But the A string sounds like it choking
I have tried 5 different A strings still the same also got new sound post put in also I tried changing tail pice from ebony to boxwood but that made it worse I tried putting on a fine tuner on the A string improved a little bit but still choking has any one come across this

Replies (8)

May 28, 2021, 7:30 AM · The person who installed your sound post should have another look-see and give you advice from there. Maybe a different string will help, maybe some adjustments to sound-post or bridge are necessary.

What's the violin?

May 28, 2021, 8:38 AM · A "new" soundpost or soundest adjusted? Did it sound that way from the beginning?
May 28, 2021, 8:53 AM · Some violins can sound "choked" with strings of too high tension. Also balancing the tension of all the strings might help.

I would start with a set of low-tension strings.

May 28, 2021, 9:19 AM · It could still be a soundpost issue if the post isn’t in the best spot or if it’s too tight. Have the string grooves at the bridge and nut checked as well, as a groove that’s not working well can choke a string.
May 28, 2021, 10:02 AM · @Pauldeck it's a stentor Arcadia
Thanks to everyone for advice
I'll have bring back to luthier get post checked again as well as bridge and nut
May 28, 2021, 11:27 AM · Headline was suggesting a thread on The Godfather-- glad we haven't yet gone down that route.
May 28, 2021, 11:34 AM · What Andrew said. If the setup is correct and the A string is choking, try a lower tension set of strings.
May 28, 2021, 2:58 PM · Could be any number of things including the instrument itself. Was it like that when you bought it or did it change? Did you get from a dealer? The best and easiest thing might be to exchange it for an instrument that sounds good straight away.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Silent Violin
Yamaha Silent Violin

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

ArmSymphony AI Violin Competition
ArmSymphony AI Violin Competition

Find a Summer Music Program
Find a Summer Music Program

Violinist.com Business Directory
Violinist.com Business Directory

AVIVA Young Artist Program

Antonio Strad Violin

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Bobelock Cases

Fiddlerman.com

Fiddlershop

Los Angeles Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Violin-Strings.com

Metzler Violin Shop

Leatherwood Bespoke Rosin

Warchal

Barenreiter

Johnson String Instrument and Carriage House Violins

Potter Violins

String Masters

Bein & Company

Annapolis Bows & Violins

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe