Ysaye vs Bach

May 26, 2021, 1:57 PM · Hi all,
I recently did mt first listem through of Ysaye's solos sonatas for solo violin (op.27). I really tried to find something to like in them, but I honestly couldn't. I much prefer his duo violin sonata (second movement is gorgeous). My question is do you prefer Bach's S&P's or Ysaye's sonatas? That can be to play or listen to.
I've only done 3 of Bach's S&P's but I much prefer them.

Replies (14)

May 26, 2021, 2:19 PM · Some things are a lot more fun to play than they are to listen to.
Edited: May 26, 2021, 3:02 PM · Clearly the Bach is better. I adore the Ysaye though and think they’re very impressive for the audience.
Also, I believe you said that your least favorite concerto is the Brahms in another thread so we likely just have very different taste.
May 27, 2021, 2:00 AM · to appreciate Ysaye 'sonatas i needed a lot of years..you have to start with 2nd sonata..(dedicated to Kreisler ,i think)...in 1st movement Ysaye remember Bach's 3rd partita...in 2nd movement He use a theme from protestant chorale..in 3rd movement there is a theme in pizzicato and variations in impressionistic style.last movement "le furies" is as artificia fires..
May 27, 2021, 10:57 AM · Maurizio, the 2nd sonata was dedicated to Jacques Thibaud, and (as Gingold told it), the first movement is rife with rests/fermatas as a tongue-in-cheek reference to Thibaud's occasional memory slips. Of course, the "Obsession" sonata and morbid Dies Irae material is all the more frightening knowing that Thibaud died on a plane crash in the French mountains.
May 27, 2021, 3:48 PM · I definitely prefer Ysaye a lot more than Bach. Fun story, I actually learned more Ysaye sonatas than Bach lol. Again, I have a weird taste...
May 27, 2021, 5:01 PM · Still plenty of time to go to learn the rest
May 27, 2021, 7:39 PM · I love both quite equally. I appreciate the Sonatas and Partitas for the masterpiece that they are, but I also really love the more modern sonatas written by Ysaye. I’ve listened to the entirety of both a number of times and have come to love both sets. I’ve played a nice chunk of the S&P but I’ve yet to actually learn any Ysaye ones. Hopefully I will soon. If I had to choose one I’d say I like the Ysaye sonatas just a tiny bit more. I just appreciate having something a little closer to our time to indulge in and eventually play.
May 27, 2021, 7:44 PM · They are two different musical languages.
May 28, 2021, 12:23 AM · Bach S&P are a lot more important for the violin repertoire than Ysaye. There’s no comparison. I’m sure Mr. Ysaye would agree too - and his sonatas are brilliant and original works. I recommend taking a listen to Oscar Shumsky and Yuval Yaron’s recordings of Bach and Ysaye. Really inspiring playing!
May 28, 2021, 12:48 AM · Nate, I listen to Shlomo Mintz's interpretations of both (he's one of my favourite violinists). But I haven't enjoyed anyones interpretations of Ysaye sonatas including Shlomo
May 28, 2021, 1:17 AM · Greetings,
I just had a quick look through the Apple store recordings of the Ysaye. There are a surprising number of versions by Japanese artists (including an extremely boring interpreter in my opinion) which is weird. I have never particularly associated udon with Ysaye. The really major artist there seems to be Kaler. I recall listening to some of his recordings and being impressed so you might give those a whirl.
Cheers,
Buri
May 28, 2021, 1:37 AM · I like Tedi Papavrami playing Ysaye (and Bach too).
May 28, 2021, 2:06 AM · It's heresy of course but when I hear the Bach S&P I can't help thinking there are too many notes, either sequential (unrelentingly) or simultaneous (nearly), to allow the violin to sing as it should. Ilya Kaler in Ysaye blows me away.
May 28, 2021, 2:23 AM · Andrew,thank you for precisation..very interesting..may be the 4th sonata was dedicaded to Kreisler

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Silent Violin
Yamaha Silent Violin

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

ArmSymphony AI Violin Competition
ArmSymphony AI Violin Competition

Find a Summer Music Program
Find a Summer Music Program

Violinist.com Business Directory
Violinist.com Business Directory

AVIVA Young Artist Program

Antonio Strad Violin

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Bobelock Cases

Fiddlerman.com

Fiddlershop

Los Angeles Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Violin-Strings.com

Metzler Violin Shop

Leatherwood Bespoke Rosin

Warchal

Barenreiter

Johnson String Instrument and Carriage House Violins

Potter Violins

String Masters

Bein & Company

Annapolis Bows & Violins

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe