Invention to Keep Shoulder Rests from Slipping

May 24, 2021, 3:32 PM · Hey all, I don't know how much of you remember me, but I was a frequent poster here up until about a year ago! Back in September of 2020, I quit teaching so I could pursue a few different things I'd been putting off. One of those pursuits was trying to finish an invention that I've long felt the violin world needed: a device that would allow you to put your shoulder rest where you wanted, without any fear of it slipping off. I dealt with this problem (and still do!) and many of my students did as well.

In a worst case scenario, the SR slipping when you don't expect it can cause you to drop an instrument. Even if that doesn't happen, knowing that it *could* happen certainly adds some degree of tension to peoples' playing. And, experimenting with different positions becomes pointless, since the only place where the SR stays on with some confidence is in a side-to-side configuration. What if you want to place the SR diagonally? Or close to the endbutton?

And even if you just want it in a typical position, chances are that it moves during long sessions of playing. I was reminded of this once again watching the Menuhin competition and seeing some of the performers adjusting their SR every time there was a long rest in their music. If they're like me, they've found that putting the SR on too tightly affects the violin's tone negatively, but then they have to constantly worry about whether or not it's slipping off.

Yes, we could use rubber bands, but to be honest they just don't work well, and they look bad. Not to mention the sound dampening effects they can have.

To make a long story short, I am now at a crossroads of sorts. I feel I have solved the problem with a device that is simple, very light, durable, nearly invisible, and won't effect the sound of the instrument. It will work with all bridge-style shoulder rests such as Kun, Everest, Bon Musica, etc... so it won't be necessary to change shoulder rests to get the effect.

BUT: as with most inventions, there is a point where substantial money has to be put forward to make it a mass-produced reality. And I find myself questioning at this point: does the violin world REALLY need this invention? Maybe I've over-inflated the problem in my mind, and it's really only a handful of violinists/violists like myself that struggle with the shoulder rest slipping/falling/moving or want to be able to securely put it in unorthodox positions?

And in this fear lies my real question for those who care to answer: is this device something you'd buy (let's say it would be in the region of $15-20)? Is it something you'd recommend to your students or colleagues? Do you feel that there is a real need for this invention (assuming it does what I say it will do)?

Thanks so much for your responses.

-Erik

Replies (29)

May 24, 2021, 4:09 PM · Even if the world does need this invention, it doesn't mean that you wouldn't lose your shirt trying to make it - there are more ways for things to go wrong than right.

Personally I find shoulder rests to be quite securely held in the garbage bin (sorry, obligatory), but when I used them I only recalled the older Kun's giving problems. The Bon Musica in particular had a death grip on the instrument that could be hard to dislodge if I recall correctly. The Forte somewhere in the middle, and others as well, potentially varying with the flexibility of the rest bridge.

I'd think that this would be a problem that people would expect to solve with the choice of the device instead of as an additional purchase and most would prefer to not have another device to fiddle with.

Sorry. It's nice to hear from you again though - I've wondered where you've been. Hard to believe you're not teaching given how engaged you were with it.

May 24, 2021, 4:13 PM · Probably depends on the shoulder rest? I find the KorfkerRest I'm currently using stays on without any problems. After putting it on, I don't have to adjust it at all, not once even during a 5 or 6 hour practice session or a full concert performance. And it is the least sound dampening shoulder rest among the many, many that I've tried.
The Bonmusica I was using before didn't come off either.
Edited: May 24, 2021, 4:37 PM · Erik, I know what you mean. The reason I finally quit the SR-users party was that I only drew profit from the use of such a device when brought into a position that made it slip inevitably within the next 15 minutes. Although this wasn't so much the case with the VLM Diamond, which only occasionally fell off.
So if you had asked me a year ago, I might have answered more enthusiastically.

If in your shoes, and if there wasn't some money to burn, I wouldn't take the financial risk on my own. Patents, going into production, advertising and marketing, distribution - it will eat you alive. Either get in contact with a large retailer like Shar, or try to sell your idea to one of the international brands like Kun.

May 24, 2021, 4:39 PM · shoulder rests generally come off as a result of player tension- that's the problem to solve!
May 24, 2021, 5:46 PM · Hey everyone, thank you for the feedback so far. My internet just went down and doesn't seem to be coming back up, so I'm typing this on my phone. But I promise I will give detailed responses once my internet is working again! I have read all responses so far.
May 24, 2021, 5:48 PM · I'm using the KorfkerRest as well, never any problems with slipping at all.
Edited: May 24, 2021, 7:18 PM · This problem is what made me ditch SRs. If they were comfortable and slip-proof from the factory I may still have used them to this day. I don't think I would bother with buying an extra peripheral device to secure my SR, because SRs are enough of a pain to carry already and that just adds more clutter and more room for error.
May 25, 2021, 1:46 AM · Ugh, my internet is still down. Apparently there's a huge outage in my area from a truck hitting an important fiber optic line.

Seems like the responses so far are leaning towards me *not* making this invention, which is a real disappointment to be honest. I always figured people would jump at the opportunity to prevent their shoulder rests from slipping. On the other hand, perhaps the sample size is a bit too small to make a judgement....

So many questions, and so hard to get market data on this sort of thing.

Do you guys think Laurie would be willing to do a poll on how many people have had trouble with slipping shoulder rests? Obviously it's not much of an issue for those with korfkers, but then again not everyone wants to spend 300 bucks for a SR. And even with my korfker, I would love to have the security of knowing it wouldn't move in an important performance.

May 25, 2021, 8:33 AM · Eric, I use two brown shoelace loops from my Kun's screw "legs" to the viola/violin corners.
These keep the feet in place, but also avoid the disastrous tilting of the whole rest when the viola would just love to swing to the right.

So I would be very interested in a safer and more elegant solution!

May 25, 2021, 8:46 AM · I would be interested in a better solution for my viola and for my violin students!
May 25, 2021, 9:14 AM · Hi Erik, I commend your innovation and entrepreneurial zeal. I would consider the market potential of a product with such a small sub-set of consumers. Is it really worth investing in patents, molds, manufacturing, and business upstart expenses? Is this device something you can make at home by hand with minimal investment? If so, you could make a few dozen and field test them with local pros. Then outreach to local luthiers, music shops, teachers and schools. This will provide proof of your concept if you can sell a few hundred units with positive consumer feedback. Then maybe think about patents and mass production. But honestly, at that price-point and given the market potential I would not quit my day job. Just sayin'. Best of luck!
May 25, 2021, 10:06 AM · I have never had a problem with my shoulder rest falling off as long as it is properly fitted. I even bought a bunch of cheap $5.00 Chinese shoulder rests to give to kids that need them and once they are set up right I have noticed no problem with these either.

There was a man here a few years ago that invented a thumb piece to improve holding a violin and now I see that a few places such as Shar are sellinvg his product, but i would not think that there would be a large market for these niche items.

Edited: May 25, 2021, 12:23 PM · It depends on the rest, player, and technique. Pressing down will indeed make it slip away from the instrument.

As far as my old SR history go, the regular Kun feet, both old and new, could theoretically slip if things go wrong, but I imagine they do not for many players. The Kun Voce feet are innately "immune" to slipping. The rest itself was recently discontinued, but the feet are still manufactured-these may make many compatible shoulder rests similarly immune to slipping.

VLM Diamond, rarely slips.

Wolf has slipped for me (the rest is otherwise fine.)

Bon Musica has never slipped for me.

Mr. Erik, you can invest in it, but I suspect it will be a highly niche product, so I'd suggest avoiding thinking you are going to be rich producing it. Best wishes whatever you decide to do.

(Ironically, I have been using the Kun Voce almost exclusively for the last few months, as I figured out a position that makes it even more comfortable than the VLM Diamond and Bon Musica, even if it's a SR a bit on the high side. This newer placement makes it feel almost "restless", though evidently it is not. Still, I would not blindly recommend it for most players unless you are open to a SR with no low position being posible. For regular to high necks, worth a try.)

May 25, 2021, 4:24 PM · Alright, my internet's working, so buckle up because I'm going to respond to every single post:

1) Jay Ray: I won't lose my shirt, as I have enough capital to safely invest my own funds into this idea. So no worries about that! Still, I would feel silly if I invested in it and no one wanted it. It's the fear of failure that scares me more than the fear of starving.

Yes, the bon musica has a serious death grip because the bridge portion has so little flexibility, which is also why it severely dampens the tone of many instruments.

And it's nice to be back! Being away from music for over half a year has really given me a newfound appreciation for it. And to be honest, being separated from the world of teaching has helped, too. I loved teaching and will certainly get back into it eventually, but teaching dozens of beginners can take a toll of one's own musicality!

2) Jasper, thanks for the input. I also use the korfker as my primary rest, although it does still occasionally slip for me (only when I put the violin down, never when I'm in the middle of playing it). However, I find that it is limited in the sense that I cannot put both feet of the rest closer to my collarbone. However, the "West to East" configuration seems to work well, and even diagonal placements seem to only occasionally slip. I would be curious on what different placements you have tried with your shoulder rests, Jasper? Is it straight across the back, or is one foot closer to you than the other?

3) Nuuska, I'm glad to hear that my device would have benefited you! Would you say that you have a somewhat petite shoulder structure? I found that with students who had smaller shoulders, a "safe" shoulder rest position, West-to-East, was not viable since it meant that the SR has practically hanging off the very edge of their shoulder. I'd always have to bring the feet closer together, put it back closer to the collarbone, and then use rubber bands to secure it. Those worked ok, but looked terrible and would usually break within a week of use, not to mention the sound dampening effects.

And don't worry, it's highly doubtful this device alone will put me into a frightening financial position. My invention that I spoke of a couple years ago would have been very expensive to produce, as it had multiple different parts and used space-age thermoplastics. This is a much more simple design and will only require a couple of small injection molds to be produced. It will also use a much more commonly used material. I also think the market is potentially bigger, since it can work on any already-existing standard-type shoulder rest. However, I am aware that there may be difficulties that I'm not predicting. But, I only live once, and there is always some inherent risk in doing anything new!

4) Tom, to some extent I agree: I used to press so hard that my shoulder rest would slip off even in a very secure position. I eventually fixed that. However, there are plenty of instances where even without tension, the shoulder rest can slip off during critical moments. For example, take a viola player who is executing a large downshift on the C-string. Now, being a viola player, his shoulder rest needs to be closer to his collarbone. It can't be in a West-to-East configuration because it would put the contact point of the SR too far out on his shoulder. So, the SR is inherently insecure which perhaps doesn't matter if they're staying in 1st position or up-shifting, but with the right combination of variables, that SR can slip off quite easily. Some people have naturally sticky fingers (me), so if we get a tiny bit sweaty, downshifts will pull the instrument away from us, which requires us to press down on the chinrest, particularly if we're planning on vibrating both the higher note and the down-shifted note. It also depends on the size and musculature of the front deltoid. If you're shifting way up, the front deltoid can bulge, thus applying pressure to the shoulder rest.

To make a long story short, there are plenty of combinations of variables which can make a shoulder rest slip even if the player isn't overly tensing.

5) Jakob: Good to hear that! However, I think a very important point here (in addition to my earlier comments to Jasper about the Korfker) is the difference between a normal-priced SR and the Korfker. Not everyone is able to throw down $300 for a shoulder rest. My assumption is that if someone already owns a shoulder rest and loves the way it feels, but just doesn't like it moving around or slipping, they would prefer to spend 15-20 bucks and get a quick solution to that problem.

6) Cotton: If someone is going to play for 2 hours or more, are they really going to care about taking an extra 5-10 seconds in their initial set-up period to ensure that there's no chance of the rest slipping during their practice/rehearsal/performance? I'm not being a skeptic, I'm just genuinely curious if that alone would stop people from using it.

7) Adrian, as I recall you're primarily a viola player like I once was, so it makes sense that you understand the problem perfectly (and, like many violists, have had to come up with a makeshift solution for yourself because it doesn't exist on the marketplace). Violists have to make so many compromises to simply allow them to safely/comfortably play. Funny story: when I was 17, I brought an invention to my viola teacher that was basically a fishing pole that extends from one's back, over their head, and then bends down and holds the scroll of the viola up. She responded: if you're going to invent something for violas, make sure it doesn't announce "oh, here's the violas again" when other people see it. Haha, so true.

On a more serious note, I am doing testing to ensure that my device also prevents tilting. This is something rubber bands have no chance of doing. I have found it to be very effectively in preventing backward tilting, but in extreme situations it can't always prevent forward tilting (extreme as in, using a 1/4 size SR on a 4/4 size violin). In reasonable situations/positions, even very adventurous ones, I believe it will prevent all slipping, moving, falling, and tilting, as well as preventing the feet of the SR from moving away from each other due to the player applying pressure and bending the bridge of the rest.

8) M Zilpah: so glad to hear that! I actually think teacher/student situations may be my biggest market, because beginner students are the most vulnerable when it comes to slipping shoulder rests in my experience. They don't always have the reflexes to catch an instrument when the shoulder rest slips. And honestly, I think it just gives the teacher 100 less heart attacks a day if they know that the SR will stay on the student's violin. A dropped cheap violin is one thing, but a traumatized young person who is going to spend the rest of the lesson crying over that mistake is quite another (not the mention the tension that they will inevitably carry in their posture from that experience for the next few months/years). I plan on selling a "teacher pack" which will include a variety of sizes at somewhat lower prices. Then, if the teacher wants to sell at full retail to make a few bucks on each one, or if they want to directly pass the discount onto the student, that's their choice. Note: anyone can buy the teacher pack, but most people would have no need/desire to buy 10+ of the product.

9) John: Don't worry, I already quit my day job! Haha. On a serious note, though, not having a steady source of income makes me work a lot harder. Part of the reason I quit was because I was way too secure in teaching. I always had more students than I could handle, and it just made it so all my reasoning for innovating/inventing/crafting was gone. There's something about that fear that really drives me, even though it also stresses me out. It helps that I have substantial savings, but I also know those won't last forever.

Unfortunately, I've already put 130% thought/effort into trying to figure out a way to do a small production run of them to test the market. But it's just not viable, for a variety of reasons I won't get into here. Basically, the design of the device just doesn't allow it. And even if I did handmake each of them, they wouldn't be professional and it would make a bad initial market impression. I don't want my product to be like a lot of the violin inventions that pop up and fade away because they're so poorly manufactured. I've wasted so much money over the years buying products that sounded so good in theory but totally sucked in reality. I have a serious pet-peeve against poorly made things. I think a large part of the problem is that violinists are rarely engineers, and engineers are rarely violinists. And even more rare is an engineer/violinist that actually wants to go through the trouble of inventing a new product, given the limited market. Thus, quality new violin inventions are a rare thing to see. Thus, I have taught myself a vast amount of materials science, manufacturing practices, and 3d CAD abilities in order to fulfill both roles. The thought that keeps me going is realizing that if I don't make this, no one will. I needed this as a violist and I still desire it as a violinist, and I owe it to the younger me and the current me to make it. Even if I'm the only one that ends up using it, I'd still feel happy that I completed an involved project like this. I can look back one day and say "hey, I made that idea into a reality, and I'm proud of that."

10) Jeff: I know the guy you're talking about. I think his first name is "Craig." I've seen his product in all of the major violin retailers (and I think I've seen it on amazon as well. I actually had a student try to buy one from Shar and they were sold out for quite a long time. I don't know exactly how much he makes off of it, but the fact that it's in all of the major retailers makes me think that he probably makes more than one might expect. His product is partially why I feel some confidence in mine: if he had come here and asked if it was a good idea, I don't think a lot of people would have encouraged it. It seems like a product that only a few niche people would buy, but then you see that he's constantly selling it, and you realize that there are quite a few students in the world that would benefit from it. Basically, it seemed like a so-so idea until it existed, and then it seemed like a great idea. I'm hoping mine will be the same. I should also add that if I even only made 20k a year off my product, I would be happy. So I don't think my potential market needs to be huge.

11) Adalberto: I am highly skeptical that the Kun Voce wouldn't slip in certain positions! I see nothing that would mechanically restrict it from moving if placed close to the collarbone or at a hard diagonal placement. I also have a VLM diamond and it has slipped before, but I admit that I appreciate the innovative design which allows the rest to be placed in different positions, while the feet remain squarely planted in a fairly secure West-to-East configuration. There are, of course, weaknesses with this rest, one of which is the lack of curvature. I believe Joshua Bell uses this SR.

I definitely don't think I'll get rich, but I will at least be happy I made something new for the violin world. Even if only 100 people truly love it, that's still a worthwhile difference in my book. But I suspect more than 100 people will rely on it at some point.

What is the position that you typically use the Voce in? (Perhaps clock-hand descriptions would work best, for example, 3 o'clock to 8 o'clock).

(Side note, Mr Korfker should email me if he sees this thread, as I have a suggestion)

Edited: May 25, 2021, 4:57 PM · Erik, even if I won't need it anymore from a todays point of view, I'd certainly buy it even out of curiosity and to complete my impressive SR collection

* if available in Europe
* for an acceptable price (let's say €10-20 depending on construction and material),
* if it obviously couldn't damage the varnish, and
* if it wouldn't look super weird.

I believe starting out with teachers and luthiers wouldn't be the worst idea. It would also be helpful to find a known touring soloist who would be happy to use your product in public, but I'm afraid such a person wouldn't do this for the device and a warm meal.

Edited: May 25, 2021, 5:03 PM · If you're looking for a bigger place to evaluate the market potential, give it a try on Facebook, like "The Violin Guild", "Facebook Violinists" or "Facebook Violists". Tons of people out there to make your poll, and especially TVG is even open for self promotion.
May 25, 2021, 6:04 PM · I used the Kun and it slipped. I switched to the Everest and it does not slip. The Everest's feet have better grip. I didn't notice any change in the tone of my instrument.

Viola is a different story. I like the Kun but it slips constantly. I do not feel tension as I play. Rubber bands work fine, but I would consider a non-slipping device if it's not super expensive. Do you have any idea how many rubber bands you can buy for $20? Like pounds of them.

May 25, 2021, 7:06 PM · Nuuska, that's an excellent idea, regarding using facebook as a tool to find market data. I've joined some violin groups now. We'll see how it pans out.

I have to figure out what's involved in shipping to Europe. I suspect there are many people there that could benefit from my device.

It won't damage the varnish :)

And yes, I've been looking for anyone who might be able to promote the product for a fee, or perhaps by offering them an affiliate link (if people buy the product through their link, they would receive a portion of profits). However, I've been struggling to contact major artists and influencers. It probably doesn't help that my product isn't yet available for sale, so perhaps they don't think I'm serious.

Paul, I know very well how many rubber bands I can buy for $20. I have jars of them. Why? Because every week, the ones I gave the students the week before were broken or too loose to be useful.

Perhaps my trademark phrase should be "a better rubber band", haha.

I would guess the reason your Everest slips less isn't because of the tackiness of the feet, but rather the lack of flex in the bridge of the rest and the feet themselves. When the SR flexes, the feet splay outward, reducing the contact with the instrument, which through a series of repetitions can cause it to move or just fall off completely.

Of course, I could be totally wrong, but just throwing an alternate hypothesis out there.

Obviously, my device will make it so there's no outward flex from softer shoulder rests like Wolf and Kun, which will be great because a lot of people prefer the feel of those rests, but stick with the Everest/BonMusica because they tend to be a bit more secure.

May 25, 2021, 8:28 PM · The slipping of my viola rest is indeed very annoying, when I forget my rubber bands. I'm the one you see constantly snugging it up.
May 25, 2021, 11:18 PM · Mr. Erik,

Perhaps I just hold the violin properly with SR nowadays, but the Kun Voce feet have never slipped for me. Check out how they are made to figure out why (I am assuming you may not have tested these feet?) I rarely get the others to slip as I do not press down on the instrument, but most of the slips have been with traditional Kun and Wolf feet.

Best of luck if this is what you have already endeavored to do. Perhaps some will need what you have to offer.

May 26, 2021, 12:06 AM · Hey Adalberto, thanks for the info so far. Do you position the Voce in a side-to-side (West-to-East) position? Most shoulder rests don't slip a whole lot in this position.
May 26, 2021, 6:30 AM · If you're aiming at serious violinists who put in an uninterrupted 1 to 2 hour session every day and also have slipping SR issues, that's like maybe 0.1% of all violinists.

My opinion: simplicity is key. SRs alone already exceed my threshold for being overly fidgety. Too much stuff to think about, like having 5 tone knobs on a guitar. I just want to play.

Edited: May 26, 2021, 1:18 PM · Hi Erik,

„Would you say that you have a somewhat petite shoulder structure? I found that with students who had smaller shoulders, a "safe" shoulder rest position, West-to-East, was not viable since it meant that the SR has practically hanging off the very edge of their shoulder.“

That’s exactly my problem. It took me forever to find a SR and a good position for it. I think it’s getting even harder when due to the length of your arms you position the violin rather more to the front. Bonmusica is the only one I can have close enough to my neck to not hinder my shoulder movements and which can bridge the gap between body and violin (in the front it’s quite a distance).
But it is quite heavy. If something would work as an in between device for other rests that might be interesting. Although as pointed out it’s not so much about slipping in my case.
Actually I think the lady winning the Senior Finals of the Menuhin C. has a similar problem ... and the same solution if my observation is right. HH as well.

Edited: May 26, 2021, 8:41 AM · Mr. Erik,

I do use Bon Musica and Kuns in the "less safe" positions-as of last year, only the Kun would slip while not playing, placing the violin off my shoulder, but not all the time. The Bon Musica always stays on, even after having it well stretched (I do not like tight shoulder rests feet grips.) For the Voce, unlike with the Bravo, I do use it centered, just slightly below the middle, not too tight as usual. The Bravo, VLM Diamond, and Bon Musica I do not use centered in this way, but each particularly customized to my closer to the front, rather than over the shoulder position.

When I was young, I played a lot over the shoulder (as perhaps even many if not most do, pros or otherwise), but even with my long arms, I now find it more natural to play more to the front. I never run out of bow in any of the strings, the angles work great, G string high position playing is comfortable, and playing is generally effortless-which may be something that works for me, and not for many (I use a low teka chinrest.)

My neck is "average+", though high position shoulder rests are not what I love. Therefore it is ironic how the initially cumbersome Voce now works so well with me. The pad is more to the front of the shoulder than on top of it, but it is indeed centered.

Must add that at first, I did emulate my Kun Bravo/VLM Diamond/Bon Musica feet position with the Kun Voce, and while it wasn't the best fit, it still never slipped for me. The feet lower section is designed in such fashion that a performance accident seems unlikely, though I assume it may slip for some in this world.

(One could use the Voce feet on a Bravo, and perhaps manage to have it never slip-as I hinted at above. But they do change the angles a bit, so some adjustment will be necessary after replacing the feet.)

Be well-no argument intended.

May 26, 2021, 7:37 PM · Eva, great info. I definitely noticed with some of my students that they needed a more forward violin position due mainly to their right arm not being long enough to fully utilize the bow otherwise, not to mention the benefits that it can have for some peoples' vibrato. With some of these students, I would recommend the Bon Musica for the exact reason you use it.

My personal issue with the Bon Musica is that it locks the violin at a particular angle, and I feel the need to change the angle depending on what I'm doing. Like, if I'm playing the intro to Symphonie Espagnole, I tend to swivel the violin to the left and lift the scroll higher. If I'm playing the intro to Mendelssohn, I swivel it to the right. This is partially due to issues with my left shoulder's flexibility, though.

Anyways, I'd be curious if, with a Mach One or Wolf Secundo (or even a Kun with an extra long leg on the chest side of the feet), you could effectively use my device to replace the Bon Musica, since I believe all of these rests could fill the big gap between the right side of the violin and the contact point on the upper chest, without the clumsiness of the Bon Musica.

Adalberto, thanks for the input. All of this is helpful to me. I'm still designing the shoulder rest that I talked about a couple of years ago in addition to my current invention, so I really like learning more about what people need in an SR.

Out of curiosity, do you feel that you choose your current SR on its curve, its padding, or on its ability to stay on the violin during a comfortable position? I know this is a general question, but curiosity strikes!

May 26, 2021, 8:06 PM · Erik, if you really mean it would cost £20 to buy. and it definitely works, buying it would be a no brainer for me.
May 26, 2021, 8:45 PM · John, that's great to hear! Thank you for the positive feedback. Seriously, it really means a lot.

I do worry that maybe people will see a small piece of plastic and think "THAT'S $20??" Something like a shoulder rest looks so much more substantial in comparison. And I've noticed the human brain tends to equate size with cost, unless we're talking about fine art. But I'm hoping that its function overpowers that initial instinct.

And of course, you'll have to add shipping/handling :P

May 27, 2021, 1:26 PM · I am all for innovation and would absolutely get you "rubber-band-replacer" if there was even a little chance it would help me. I supported the Kreddle chin rest and later on the Kreddle cushion and the updated chin rest when they were on Kickstarter. Even if I ended up not using any of them for long.
Since moving to WLM Diamond and later Kreddle shoulder rests I have no problems with slipping rests though.
I wish you luck with your project, but I would be reluctant myself; making a living from selling a $20 niche product is tough. Especially if it is a one-time purchase item. Don't give up you day job yet ;)
May 27, 2021, 1:48 PM · Awesome to hear it Bo! I am still working as fast as I can to make the thing a reality. Like I've said before, even if it's not wildly profitable, I would be happy just to see it exist, and to see players benefit from it.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Silent Violin
Yamaha Silent Violin

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

ArmSymphony AI Violin Competition
ArmSymphony AI Violin Competition

Find a Summer Music Program
Find a Summer Music Program

Violinist.com Business Directory
Violinist.com Business Directory

AVIVA Young Artist Program

Antonio Strad Violin

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Bobelock Cases

Fiddlerman.com

Fiddlershop

Los Angeles Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Violin-Strings.com

Metzler Violin Shop

Leatherwood Bespoke Rosin

Warchal

Barenreiter

Johnson String Instrument and Carriage House Violins

Potter Violins

String Masters

Bein & Company

Annapolis Bows & Violins

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe