Wrist angiogram?

May 15, 2021, 4:30 PM · I'll get a cardiac angiogram via wrist next week. Anybody had that? Lingering effects? When could you play again? Right or left? (Although I'm not sure I'll have a choice.) Thanks.

Replies (14)

May 15, 2021, 4:31 PM · Your doctor might have an opinion. Wouldn't the left wrist get a better view of the heart?
May 15, 2021, 4:39 PM · From what I've read, it can be either, but some doctors have a preference depending on how the operating room is set up. Thanks.
May 16, 2021, 10:50 AM · I think if I were a violinist I'd ask for the entrypoint to be somewhere else if possible, e.g., femoral artery.
May 16, 2021, 7:10 PM · DEFINTELY SOMEWHERE ELSE ! Don't listen to what the doctors say about 'There will be no after effects' or 'It shouldn't cause any problems'. They are not violinists. I have had plenty of experience with other medical tests.
Edited: May 16, 2021, 8:17 PM · I had the wrist route, no side effects, the problem with the femoral artery route is it takes an overnight stay in the hospital, your insurance might not cover that.
Edited: May 16, 2021, 8:35 PM · My sister is a doctor, she corrected me, today the femoral artery is 6 hours on your back in hospital, not overnight, the wrist is quicker. She thinks the fear of doing it in the wrist is reasonable for violinists even though it is not likely to be an issue.
May 17, 2021, 8:24 AM · The wrist, while being more technically challenging, actually has less complications and bleeding risk than the traditional femoral approach. One of the meta-analyses even stated, " Anatomically, there is no major nerves or veins present near the radial artery, thus, minimizing the risk of nerve and vascular injuries."
May 17, 2021, 1:52 PM · Thank you all. I'll report back next week.
May 17, 2021, 4:48 PM · Following - keep us updated!

I'm only an urologist and not a cardiologist, but my gut feeling would also vote for the femoral route in this situation. If you were a soccer player, I'd tell you the opposite...

Edited: May 18, 2021, 10:21 AM · We call them angioplasties in the UK. I've had three in the right radial artery (seven stents). Each was a two-hour local anaesthetic job. They heal within a couple of days. No harmful effects.
May 18, 2021, 2:43 PM · No direct violin experience, but when my wife had a heart attack they did a wrist angiogram and slipped in three stents while they were at it. She was out in four days and has been in fine shape ever since. No problems in the wrist area.
May 20, 2021, 2:27 PM · Update: At pre-op I told the doc I play viola and was concerned about possible long-term damage to fine-motor skills at my wrist if going the wrist route. He said there's a "one-in a million" chance of that but zero wrist damage chance if we go the groin route. He said he is skilled in both but the wrist route post-op is easier on the patient. I chose the groin route. I was lightly sedated and awake during the painless one-and-a-half hour procedure during which a stent was installed in a blocked artery. Post-op was lying on my back very still for six hours with a ten-pound sandbag over the groin incision. During that time I overheard at least three other wrist-route patients whose procedure started after me and they left before me. Oh the sacrifices we take for our art! Thank you for your comments and suggestions.
May 20, 2021, 2:38 PM · Let's hope it doesn't damage your groin's fine motor skills.
May 20, 2021, 2:56 PM · Very funny, Gordon.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Silent Violin
Yamaha Silent Violin

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

ArmSymphony AI Violin Competition
ArmSymphony AI Violin Competition

Find a Summer Music Program
Find a Summer Music Program

Violinist.com Business Directory
Violinist.com Business Directory

AVIVA Young Artist Program

Antonio Strad Violin

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Bobelock Cases

Fiddlerman.com

Fiddlershop

Los Angeles Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Violin-Strings.com

Metzler Violin Shop

Leatherwood Bespoke Rosin

Warchal

Barenreiter

Johnson String Instrument and Carriage House Violins

Potter Violins

String Masters

Bein & Company

Annapolis Bows & Violins

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe