Ipe bows

May 14, 2021, 4:37 PM · So to make a long story short, I work for a guy who owns an exotic wood warehousing business and he lets me have any wood I'd like for my lutherie adventures.
I've heard ipe is being used as a pernambuco substitute, and wouldn't you know it—it's also the newest, most popular hardwood for decking. So, now I have my pick of literally tonnes of perfect ipe boards.

Any experience with ipe bows? I'm wondering if I should take some and make some sticks.

Replies (8)

May 14, 2021, 5:11 PM · Go for it, Cotton! You're my hero anyway. If not for you, I'd never thought about making my own chin rests.
May 14, 2021, 5:14 PM · Definitely have a go. And then report back on what it is like. I have never seen an Ipe wood bow for sale, but I am now intrigued!
May 16, 2021, 10:52 AM · Shouldn't take you more than a week to crank out a Peccatte or two with your whittle knife.

Another idea: Commission an ipe bow from a great contemporary maker.

May 16, 2021, 5:07 PM · I've made a handful of sticks before. Perfecting the balance is difficult and time consuming, which is why I ask if anyone's ever played an ipe stick before sinking hours into it.

Doesn't Jonpaul make them? I swear I remember the branding "Jonpaul Ipe".

Edited: May 17, 2021, 9:33 AM · The two things you need are: ways to ballpark the properties of the boards so that you can make decisions about what you select, and a clear idea of how to adjust your bow graduations and other design factors to make up for the ways your wood is not ideal.

I have the vague sense that it's possible to cobble together a poor man's Lucchi meter, if you're inclined to track that down. Stephen Marvin has hints on, and Andreas Grutter has quite a bit of information on design variables accounting for wood differences on their websites.

May 17, 2021, 9:44 AM · ipe is not a uniform type of wood. what's sold for it in US may come from several different trees. In the end, you'd have a 'brazilwood' bow; lot's of them around.
May 17, 2021, 10:24 AM · It certainly does look like Brazilwood
Edited: May 17, 2021, 12:10 PM · https://wangbow.com
They make bows with a variety of different woods.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Silent Violin
Yamaha Silent Violin

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

ArmSymphony AI Violin Competition
ArmSymphony AI Violin Competition

Find a Summer Music Program
Find a Summer Music Program

Violinist.com Business Directory
Violinist.com Business Directory

AVIVA Young Artist Program

Antonio Strad Violin

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Bobelock Cases

Fiddlerman.com

Fiddlershop

Los Angeles Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Violin-Strings.com

Metzler Violin Shop

Leatherwood Bespoke Rosin

Warchal

Barenreiter

Johnson String Instrument and Carriage House Violins

Potter Violins

String Masters

Bein & Company

Annapolis Bows & Violins

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe