Review / Problems of my Ming Jiang Zhu MJZ 909 G

Edited: May 14, 2021, 8:45 AM · Hello,

This is a follow up of a post some time back asking for advice about MJZ here.

I want to share the experience I have buying directly from MJZ workshop (Tommy and Carina) so someone that is in the same shoes and looking for a brand new violin can benefit from this adventure. I want to tell a bit of the story why I got it also. It is a bit long but will give context on the problems.

I started my journey with the violin a little more than a year ago, once I knew nothing I just went to a local shop and bought a 150 usd violin just to get started. As I got more into it, I wanted a better sound, as there are not specialized violin shops where I live and it was the pandemic I decided to try a 350 USD violin from Aliexpress.. not a good experience neither, but I didn't know better.

Then, I've seen all these raving reviews about MJZ in Fiddlershop, the videos and what not about how great they are. I wanted something true and tested so I discarded getting a used one, also because there is nowhere here to find variety or a luthier that I knew was good in the area. I know it was best to go with someone that knows to a shop but that was not possible for me.

So I decided to take the plunge as buy a 909 directly from MZJ workshop a little over a year ago.

Shipping was fast and free using DHL. I really liked the sound compared to my other two violins as well as the weight of the instrument, was feeling much lighter. The is a bit dark and deep which is my preference. It came with a case and a decent bow, at least for my beginner skills but I noticed some problems.

As soon as I got it I took pictures of the violin, you can see them here along with some more detail:

Reddit post and images https://www.reddit.com/nb0sq1/

1) Bridge was warped and when contacted Tommy he said it is normal, which clearly is not
2) Chinrest was not properly leveled on their feet so there was uneven pressure, seems someone at the factory decided that instead of fixing it, overtighten them would be a good idea. I was sent a replacement chinrest BUT Tommy insisted in that the damage was normal. Maybe normal for an old used violin but I don't think it is for a new one.
3) The backplate varnish job was sloppy. Took me several emails for Tommy to confirm this, to which he didn't do anything about. He said with playing the violin it would blend. If someone can explain me how with a shoulder rest or even without can you reach to the middle of the violin be my guest.
4) The tailpiece had a mark from a label that wouldn't come out, I got a replacement when I got the new chinrest.
5) Pegs were not as easy to tune as my 150 USD violin, now are a bit better but come on. MJZ recommended to use some peg paste.
6) The neck started to feel like it was dragging my hand, so I was suggested my MJZ to sand it a bit, which I did and was instantly improved. Not sure if this is normal o not, but these kind of problems that are easily solvable are the ones I would expect.
7) Last and more importantly, now, a year later, the back started to peel and bubbles started to appear. My violin doesn't leave home, when I don't play is in the case they provided with a boveda 49% and a digital hygrometer that marks 23 degrees Celsius and 50% to 60% humidity. This is constant throughout the year. I remove the rosin residue after playing, clean the strings, take care of the instrument.

I wanted to return it at that time but I was faced with me having to pay shipping and "taxes" back to China with some ridiculous amount and not certain something could happen in transit. So I had no other option than to accept some discount from Aliexpress (MJZ store). I was even willing to get a higher model if that assured better quality, but they wanted me to pay for shipping twice and what not. I contacted them again once I saw the peeling and the last answer, and I quote is, "I will suggest you to repair it in the local store". We are talking about a violin that retails for 3k and this is what I get.

Maybe the quality went down when MJZ passed away as this was quite a bitter experience. Maybe I should have waited till I could travel to Europe to try and see violins on the flesh. But as I feel in love with playing the violin, I wanted an instrument that wouldn't hold me back.

Some people here took it very lightly the post I wrote about the varnish, but for me a new instrument is something I buy for the piece of mind that everything is alright, specially knowing I don't have many experienced luthiers where I live. One local luthier told me that if he applies some varnish it will not stay the same as the original, hell I don't even know if it is going to affect the sound?

TL;TR: I wouldn't recommend a MJZ and the shop takes no responsibility about their craftmanship. So many problems on the finishing, bridge, fittings and I could only get a new chinrest and tail sent to me.

Hope my experience helps someone else.

Replies (57)

May 14, 2021, 10:10 AM · I would have a different take on your experiences.

I suspect the varnish is oil-based which I am told produces better tonal results than spirit-based ones. The downside of oil-based is that it takes a long time to fully harden (I own a contemporary violin with oil varnish so I have experience) and until hardened it might peel especially if it gets warm - I had some problems at the base of the neck as I have hot hands and having posted a thread on maestronet, the advice was to let harden for ten years. If you need further validation, Strad's varnish was notoriously tender.

I don't see any unusual warping of the bridge and the chin rest will always leave witness marks.

I guess one question I have for you: you decided to order this from aliexpress no doubt because it's $600 cheaper than fiddlershop. Perhaps it would have been better to spend the extra, if for no other reason than to give you piece of mind? I'm not sure what you expected of MJZ given the difficulties in sending the instrument back.

May 14, 2021, 10:17 AM · The bridge appears slightly warped forward, but that could be since you owned it.
Edited: May 14, 2021, 11:10 AM · Hi Lyndon, the bridge is as such from the beginning.

Tony, it should be the same violin from Fiddleshop or from MJZ directly.

Again, I'm telling my experience, I'm glad you would but it from another vendor. So the advice they gave you is not to play the violin for 10 years? Yeah not for me... the violin should be ready once is up for sale and in case it requires any special handling it should be duly noted, not left at the mercy of the buyer. For me now, I wouldn't buy another MJZ. Ohh and the bridge is not shaped correctly.

May 14, 2021, 11:20 AM · no it is not, and the feet are too thick
May 14, 2021, 11:45 AM · That stuff about oil is all hooplah. Luthiers can't actually tell a well-cured oil from shellac once it's done. If mixed and cured correctly (ie in strong sun or a uv box) oil should be perfectly hard by the time it sees the customer's hands.

"It will blend". LOL! Maybe you bought an unfinished build-it-yourself kit by accident.
Look up local shops and buy an antique instrument.

May 14, 2021, 12:07 PM · Couldn't a varnish only have a neutral or negative effect on tone? I mean, I can't imagine how it would cause the violin to resonate more, but I suppose it might tamp down some resonances, which could be done on purpose. Is there a consensus on this among makers?

Wouldn't an oil-based varnish have a greater deadening effect than a spirit-based one (although perhaps that depends on the amount of layers of spirit varnish you are putting on)?

Edited: May 14, 2021, 12:34 PM · Oil varnish tends to damp the highs, shellac tends to damp the midrange and make the highs more harsh sounding.
Edited: May 14, 2021, 12:58 PM · Both oil and shellac harden by forming long polymer chains... as far as I know the only differences between them arise as a result of admixtures and the method of preparation. There are some oil varnishes which were put on thick and went gummy, or which were made from oil that wasn't fully pure. Those varnishes could have some deadening effect, but if you can even isolate that effect from how the instrument naturally sounds on its own I couldn't say.
May 14, 2021, 1:09 PM · Lyndon what I meant to say is that the bridge came like this from the beginning which means it was not properly shaped or bent from the shop itself . I’ll get it fixed or replaced tomorrow.
May 14, 2021, 2:12 PM · What was your reason for not buying a violin directly from a luthier? That way you probably would have had a well set up instrument, with a chin rest that was not over tightened etc.
May 14, 2021, 2:47 PM · Hi Damian -- Maybe you already know this, but the side of the bridge facing the tailpiece is supposed be perpendicular to the top plate. The other side of the bridge will be curved. That being said, looking at your photo, the perpendicular side does appear to be warped ever so slightly...
May 14, 2021, 2:52 PM · Cotton, on the subject of violin varnishes, best not to comment on something you know very little on!
Edited: May 14, 2021, 3:09 PM · TO M ZILPAH: Regarding your suggestion to Damian to order from a luthier---I think it would be quite difficult to find a luthier who would build an instrument for $3000. Maybe for $9,000, where I live...
May 14, 2021, 3:19 PM · There are no luthiers or violin makers where I live, let alone specialized shops. And not in my town, in my entire region and country!

For the bridge yes, as I described is not as it should be, but hey it is correct for Tommy at MJZ so go figure it out!

I'm an adult beginner, the sound of this violin is good in my opinion after having two other cheap Chinese ones. I found a guy who seems to do repairs recommended from another professional violinist so I'll see what he can do.

Is not that the violin is unusable, is just that it has so many quirks for a new instrument in the 3k range that is not acceptable and I want people to be aware of this.

May 14, 2021, 3:35 PM · @Erin, I meant a luthier shop, who would carry a variety of stock.

@Damian, well that makes sense. A bit tricky if you don't actually have that option in your country!

Good luck with the repairs, I hope they work out.

Edited: May 14, 2021, 4:15 PM · Damian, this is not meant judgemental, and I do understand your situation.
The difference buying "the same violin" at fiddlershop is mainly that fiddlershop employs a team of luthiers who will make sure you'll receive a well adjusted healthy violin. If MJZ would supply Fiddlershop with faulty and defective instruments, then Fiddlershop would not carry that brand for a long time. Be sure Fiddlershop (or also a luthier who is dealing with Chinese instruments in the lower ranges) will send back anything that wouldn't meet their standards and rework the keepers (bridge, soundpost, tailpiece and tailgut, nut, pegs, eventually even the fingerboard). What will happen to the rest? Alibaba, most probably...

And you're right. For a 3k Chinese, you definitely should expect an absolutely flawless intermediate level instrument, good enough to help you advance for many many years to come. I'm really feeling with you. Seems you got ripped...

This does not mean that your instrument couldn't be repaired. Forget about the chipping varnish, it's only cosmetic. But, if possible, get it checked - structurally and the setup. There's still a good chance that you'll own a good and healthy instrument with a few cosmetic issues. Nothing to be too sad about. You like the sound, it's playable, and it's yours. Lesson learned, things could be worse. Go on with it, love it for what it is, and don't let this episode spoil your enthusiasm.

Edited: May 14, 2021, 4:41 PM · Lyndon, having pored through such a large volume of internet discussions and texts on the topic of varnish, I've started to think you'd be hard-pressed to find anyone who truly knows more than very little, haha!
May 14, 2021, 4:41 PM · Thanks for the kind words Nuukusa, yes I guess this must be the case where brick and mortar local shops have an edge in setting up the violin. As I said the violin sounds good to me, I'm just enraged by MJZ attitude, Carina and Tommy. In this era, me being an owner of a recognized shop, I wouldn't risk an unhappy customer and I don't think my observations are unfunded. I also told them before buying to make sure every bit was ok as I didn't have a local luthier I would trust, but hey.. maybe my next violin if ever I will be able to play good music on it. I'm also very detail oriented person so it doesn't help :D.
Edited: May 14, 2021, 5:06 PM · Damian, I'm sure it only needs a competent hand and maybe some 300 dollars to set this violin up properly. Don't get too frustrated about it. In the end, it's a functional piece of wood. And even if you tend to regard things from a more romantic point of view - would you leave your spouse because of that scar from a mole removal on her back?

When I was introduced to my now favorite violin (still heavily in love with it after years, and most probably we'll never quit before my final breath) I felt irritated by three scars on the top plate. It's a German instrument from the 1950ies and I can only speculate how they got there. But when I held it in my hands, and tried to play it a bit (I was pretty new then as an adult starter and never imagined spending a serious amount of money!), there was no way out. Nowadays I regard these small but obvious "mistakes" as part of the instrument and its individual character and history. And I appreciate these flaws, since I'm sure they're the true reason why we met. In perfect cosmetic condition, this very instrument wouldn't have waited for me without any doubt, but would be owned by someone else, Although I notice them every time I open the case, they don't irritate me any more. And I'm very detail oriented, too...

Okay, it's a different situation. What I'm trying to say is, make your own story... The responsible person is not the violin, it's the guy who did the varnish job. Give her a home. ;-)

Edited: May 14, 2021, 5:03 PM · I wonder if the varnish was damaged as the violin was being shipped to you. The cargo belly of a 747 is not known for exceptional temperature control. But this is the responsibility of the vendor too.

The way I see it, you have three alternatives:
(1) You can try to get your violin fixed somehow, but that'll be expensive and it'll take time and it'll be a drag, or
(2) You can try to enjoy your violin for its tone and playability and just ignore the varnish coming off, or
(3) You can sue the company who sold you the instrument for having given you a defective product.

I don't know much about VIOLIN varnish specifically, but I do know that many varnishes can be hard enough for some things (to touch, etc.) but not hard enough to set something heavy on a flat surface without leaving a mark. In other words, there's hardening and then there's hardening.

Maybe if there are no violin shops in your area you could open one. You could be the Fiddlerman of Dubai.

May 14, 2021, 5:47 PM · I whish Paul! I don't think there is enough people interested in violins here!

Suing a company in China is not economical :). But I do hope a lot of people see this review and at least the name Tommy and Carina will be known for being irresponsible owners.

I'll see a luthier tomorrow and then I'll update you guys.

I guess if I lived in Europe or USA the story would be different. On the plus points the bridge is easily fixable I just hope the chinrest damage and the for now "cosmetic" problem is something that can be worked on or maybe will at least not bring future problems.

May 14, 2021, 7:40 PM · Violin buying is a tricky business indeed! I once owned an MJZ and got rid of it soon thereafter. I would never buy another Chinese or factory-made violin again. I am a huge fan of modern American makers. You will spend more for a good instrument. But it’s worth every penny.
May 14, 2021, 9:44 PM · I've always heard that Chinese violins sold on sites like eBay and Aliexpress, even ones from relatively reputable brands, tend to be the ones rejected by shops and sent back to the manufacturer. And there is a difference in setup too. In particular, if buying directly from Chinese factories or workshops, the bridges tend to be cut hastily and are often too high.
May 14, 2021, 10:18 PM · I agree Andrew. In fact the lack of quality set-up probably goes beyond just the bridge cutting. Peg fitting, fingerboard planing, sound post fitting, and neck setting are all given minimal attention by questionable craftsmen.
Edited: May 16, 2021, 10:54 AM · My MJZ viola had nice-working pegs at the beginning but they weren't so nice-working after a month. But that's okay since I was planning to get Wittner Finetune pegs anyway. The pegs, tail piece, and chin rest of MJZ instruments are typically made of jujube. It's beautiful wood, actually, but not sure how much that contributed to the rapid failure of my pegs.
May 16, 2021, 2:37 PM · I agree with John and Alexander. I have had nothing but bad experiences with Chinese violins. And I'm talking $2,500 and up. Another thing people don't realize is that the wood they use is kiln dried. Most of the time they don't wait for it to be completely dry. After a year or so, the fiddles sound thin and screechy. This is what happened to me. There are a number of violin shops in Chicago that won't even take them in trade.

May 16, 2021, 2:50 PM · Yes Leon. Some claim to use quality, aged tonewood. But I have my doubts.
May 16, 2021, 10:13 PM · When you're buying from AliExpress, you're basically buying wholesale. There's no guarantee that you're getting a good set-up or the like. The value added by Fiddlershop (or Shar or Potters or any number of other online dealers who have a Chinese workshop or buy wholesale from Chinese workshops) is that they serve as quality control, good set-up, and decent customer service. For that, you play a premium.

The stuff that doesn't pass the muster of the shops goes back into the bin to be sold to unsuspecting bargain-hunters like the OP. So in order to save $600 or so, he's basically wasting a decent chunk of his $3k investment, unless he now works with a luthier to do work that might very well consume the $600 he saved and more.

Even with no local shops in his country, the OP could have purchased from a reputable online dealer.

May 20, 2021, 3:57 AM · Clearly, the OP does not know anything about violins.
May 20, 2021, 10:31 AM · I don't know how much the OP ultimately paid, but he is trolling at the very depths of the instrument market. Cheap Chinese junk. Expect it to make a squeak and little more.

You might as well buy a $25 floatie and complain that it leaks after taking it on the river. Or buy a Yugo (remember those? Ok, I'm dating myself...) and complain that it breaks down. Or a $100 bicycle and complain it's heavy and won;'t shift gears properly.

Decent musical instruments--of any kind--actually cost money.

Who knew?

May 20, 2021, 11:52 AM · $3000 Chinese violin is not Cheap Chinese junk, $300 Chinese violin would be that. The OP deserves better for that price.
May 20, 2021, 12:29 PM · Either a $300 or a $3000 violin which someone buys online could be decent, or junk. I'm not operating anywhere near that price range, so have no personal enrichment prejudices attached.
May 20, 2021, 12:46 PM · The MJZ model the OP is talking about is a perfectly respectable higher-end workshop model. It's in the price range of something like a Jay Haide l'Ancienne (Chinese workshop), Hiroshi Kono (Japanese workshop), or an upper end Scott Cao (US Campbell workshop). For that price, a buyer should be able to expect good wood, competent workmanship, a decent basic set-up, and excellent playability. This is the "advancing student" range, a perfectly common amateur price range, and the range of backup violins for pros.

When violin shops source these instruments from the workshops, I believe they usually go through a quality control check, some additional set-up work, and possibly minor touch-up of perceived flaws. But ordinarily a player shouldn't be afraid of buying an instrument like this from a decent violin shop.

May 20, 2021, 4:36 PM · Rosa and Scott, thanks for sharing your inputs! I guess this is not the topic for you people with a budget of 10k+ on a violin! But as others said, at least I was expecting a proper setup and decent QA.

For the rest, the violin is still with the luthier here.. so I will post updates once I get it back. He did said this is an intermediate student level violin and that my 300 USD Chinese violin had better job done at the varnish in the back plate.

Edited: May 20, 2021, 4:50 PM · Again, you're never going to get a proper setup or decent QA off Aliexpress, no matter how much you spend. Much of the setup is typically left to the retail shops, and has always been. And buying off Aliexpress is almost what one might call negative QA: it's how they get rid of the violins that shops rejected.
May 20, 2021, 5:17 PM · Within the inventory of workshop violins at any of the big resellers there will be a substantial variation in tone and often quality among instruments of the same maker and model. You need to pick your way through them to find a decent one. If you can’t go there in person have them send you 4 and then you pick the best of the lot.
Edited: May 20, 2021, 5:32 PM · I had a friend from south africa in my company called damion martin a wee while back, dont think he was a violin enthusiast though. anyway, i am not sure if you got given a lemon or if it was bad luck, either way if you were not happy with the purchase, i would have expected them to return the violin and give you another one at their cost. USD 3000 is by no means a small price for a chinese workshop violin. i doubt if anyone from MJZ workshop would read these, but would serve a lot of people wanting to buy from their aliexpress shop! you can buy a guitar, wont matter too much, violin is a different ball game. it needs to have a soul and factory violins rarely have it.
May 20, 2021, 7:41 PM · I guess lesson learned, and the purpose of this post is to help other people as well. This violin will get me through lessons if I ever reach an advanced level, by that time I'll be better prepared and for sure will pick a violin in person :).

MJZ doesn't really care, seems they live in the past, now with internet in it's current state is so easy to find feedback. Heck, the reason I went with MJZ was because of Fiddlershop reviews and demos, but again, as many said the shop has something to do.

What concerns me though is the peeling at the back, the luthier said it was very strange, like they completely forgot to sand before applying the last layer or the mix was a mess, like peeling a vinyl. That would concern me even if I buy it from a reputable shop.

May 21, 2021, 8:44 AM · Just my 2 cents (as far as that goes) but places like Aliexpress, wish, and even Amazon to an extent are well known for counterfeits mixed in with authentic products. It may have been better to go with Fiddlershop, who would be able to spot the difference in the real deal vs a convincing counterfeit and would have intervened in the name of quality control prior to it reaching your hands. Not to say that your violin isn't authentic, but your post clearly states obvious issues/defects that would be unacceptable in an expensive instrument with a quality set up.
May 21, 2021, 9:21 AM · The issue with this thread, and the one the OP started on reddit, is that he trying to create a public service announcement about this workshop. I looked at the AlieExpress listing for similar violins and they are either rejects or--just as likely--counterfeits. Counterfeiting is a big business in violins, just look at recent threads about strings.

To the OP, I think you need to evaluate your purchasing strategy, instead of blaming the company. Lydia and Lyndon's most recent comments hit the nail on the head.

May 21, 2021, 9:30 AM · If AliExpress is selling counterfeits without saying they're counterfeits, then that's not the OP's fault. If you go to a fast-food restaurant and you get food poisoning, you don't want people telling you, "Oh you should have expected to be poisoned there." I agree that we should be vigilant, but I also don't like blaming the victim of a crime.
May 21, 2021, 9:34 AM · " Heck, the reason I went with MJZ was because of Fiddlershop reviews and demos,"

hmmm....there were good reviews on Fiddlershop, so I bought it in a completely different way...and got a completely different result....

May 21, 2021, 11:50 AM · Often the hardest lessons are the ones best learned. It's obvious Damian has learned a tough lesson about fiddle buying. I think we can all agree unless you are a seasoned expert it is best to purchase violins from a reputable and expert dealer.
May 21, 2021, 1:48 PM · Damian says: "That would concern me even if I buy it from a reputable shop."

You wouldn't get that violin at a regular shop. A regular shop would have rejected it and sent it back, which is why it's on AliExpress in the first place.

May 21, 2021, 5:31 PM · Andrew is right. I don't think readers need to be afraid of MJZ violins; they just need to be afraid of AliExpress.
May 22, 2021, 12:52 AM · I was just about to purchase a new MZJ 909G violin from a local shop and then this thread comes up...

leon skibinski's comment is interesting "I have had nothing but bad experiences with Chinese violins. And I'm talking $2,500 and up. Another thing people don't realize is that the wood they use is kiln dried. Most of the time they don't wait for it to be completely dry. After a year or so, the fiddles sound thin and screechy."

Is it common that the sound of a new, presumably well-made violin, can deteriorate that much after a year?

How about vintage violins. Are they a better choice than the popular (Ming Jiang Zhu, Jay Haide, Hiroshi Kono, Scott Cao) at the $3k price point?

May 22, 2021, 1:08 AM · Depends on the vintage violin. If it's well setup, some can be really good, but their price is going up all the time, so it's not always easy to find good old workshop instruments at that price point (especially good french ones.) Do not blind-buy either Chinese or old workshop instruments to be sure.

I personally would try by price point, rather than provenance, but *generally* prefer vintage instruments. Some can be pretty bad/dull/too quiet/or have other recurrent problems. But I am not entirely sold on Chinese violins just because they are new and supposed to be the best bang for your buck. Thus it's best to try all that is available, be it old German, French, Japanese, or Chinese.

Edited: May 22, 2021, 1:55 AM · Ted B asks if a vintage violin would be a better choice than a popular brand. Once you decide to go that way you could get lost for a lifetime. The metaphors that spring to mind are sweetshop, Aladdin's cave, garden of delights, jungle, minefield, shark-infested water...
May 22, 2021, 6:38 AM · Maybe it wasn’t clear, but this violin comes directly from MJZ workshop, they just use AliExpress as a platform, so this is not a counterfeit and I have the certificate as well as official communication via emails.

And I’m not so sure about others not having similar problems to mine after a year or so even coming from another shop. As an uneducated guess, problems with the varnish might not be apparent when new, but I’m not an expert of course .

Besides, my post is about MJZ and the quality coming from them directly. If a reputable shop might have experienced these problems with a customer and handled it properly then that person wouldn’t be writing about it all over the internet. In fact I was trying MJZ to take responsibility and I failed hence the warning to anyone considering something similar and thinking everything from them is expecting to be good.

I don’t have much experience with violins and I guess a lot of people is in the same situation, we all learn. But in no way I think the workshop from a reputable maker should behave in this way .

May 22, 2021, 6:49 AM · There are some good Eastern European made instruments that may be an affordable alternative to Chinese. I believe StringWorks sells a line of workshop instruments called Kallo Bartok. They are made in Romania and finished in Northern Italy. The final set-up is done by StringWorks luthiers in Illinois. I think they price out in the 3-4K usd range.
Edited: May 22, 2021, 8:41 AM · Through Fiddlershop I had two trials of three violins each. The first trial consisted of MJZ925, MJZ909 and a Holstein "soil". All of these were interesting and the 925 was full and warm. The other two instruments were "good", but didn't approach the 925 in warmth and projection.

In the second trial I tried a Simian Traian and Bench Panette 1737 both of which were brighter than the MJZ's in previous trial. The third violin was made in W.J. Fleischer's shop in Florida that was placed at Fiddlershop by its previous owner, a professional violinist. This violin "felt" and sounded the best to me and I ended up purchasing it.

Violin setup is the key to getting a good instrument, but respectable shops have to choose the appropriate base instruments start with.

May 22, 2021, 9:53 PM · Ted B. My experience with Chinese instruments is with more than one brand. The owner of the last violin shop that I visited told me she won't deal with Chinese instruments anymore. She also suggested that if you have to have a Chinese instrument to make sure it is at least 5 years old.

A few years back, I ordered two Jay Haide L'Anciennes from a shop that is a sponsor here. Both sounded tinny. I took it to a friend who is a retired luthier and after about a minute, he showed me what he called a varnish bridge. The varnish was slopped on so thick it covered the gaps at the top and bottom of all 4 F holes locking up the tops. This from maker who brags that every instrument is individually inspected before leaving the workshop.

May 23, 2021, 2:07 AM · Good observation Leon, there are many stories like this. I think the same as with cars, guitars or anything as such, there is quite a bit of leeway in the QA specially something that is a craft such as violin making and many times the representatives will insist that it is already as it should be. Best would be to either learn oneself to pay attention to these details or have someone that one really trust take a look at it.

In my example, MJZ kept justifying or either partially acknowledging the fault without fully addressing the issues.

I guess one option is to buy from a professional violinist a one that was used even if contemporary, but again, seems very complicated to buy violins specially as a beginner!

May 24, 2021, 2:48 PM · A reputable shop will easily spend (material and labor combined) $250-400 equivalent in setting up a freshly made "quality" Chinese instrument before selling it, not to mention they won't even keep the bad ones. Many will shop elsewhere thinking that they can saved a few hundreds, but in the end often end up with a dud that will cost them more.
May 25, 2021, 11:37 AM · I just put a 1/2-sized cello on consignment at a violin shop in Charlottesville. It's just a cheap student instrument (probably worth about $1500 at full retail). I pointed out the very obvious problem that one of the strings had failed and would need replacement. The luthier who runs the shop said (I'm paraphrasing), "That's okay. I have to build a new bridge for this cello and do some other adjustments anyway." Obviously this person is not someone intent on passing off a poorly set-up instrument to an unsuspecting customer.
May 26, 2021, 7:55 PM · Sadly, it looks like that model of violin is only about 20% cheaper on Aliexpress.

I've ordered violins directly from China before, and gotten surprisingly nice ones as well as amazingly crappy ones, all for the same price. It's more of a gamble, for sure, as opposed to buying from a shop that will actually hold themselves accountable. What does a random shop in China care about you? They already got your money and it's unlikely most people would have the means to get it back. A shop in your home country, on the other hand, would hate to get a bad review, so they're much more likely to have a better product, or to fix the problem if there is one.

May 28, 2021, 2:26 AM · Yes, the only problem is there is none where I live that have any decent violins and let alone a violin luthier in their shop. Anyhow the violin is still under repair, will report once I get it back.

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Silent Violin
Yamaha Silent Violin

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

ArmSymphony AI Violin Competition
ArmSymphony AI Violin Competition

Find a Summer Music Program
Find a Summer Music Program

Violinist.com Business Directory
Violinist.com Business Directory

AVIVA Young Artist Program

Antonio Strad Violin

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Bobelock Cases

Fiddlerman.com

Fiddlershop

Los Angeles Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Violin-Strings.com

Metzler Violin Shop

Leatherwood Bespoke Rosin

Warchal

Barenreiter

Johnson String Instrument and Carriage House Violins

Potter Violins

String Masters

Bein & Company

Annapolis Bows & Violins

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe