Win a signed CD of Vadim Gluzman's new Beethoven Violin Concertos with Schnittke cadenzas

Edited: May 12, 2021, 2:00 PM · Enter to win a signed copy of violinist Vadim Gluzman's latest recording: the Beethoven Violin Concerto, with cadenzas by Alfred Schnittke, as well as Schnittke's Violin Concerto No. 3. We have five to give away!

Vadim Gluzman's gorgeous playing of the Beethoven Violin Concerto - on the 1690 ‘ex-Leopold Auer’ Stradivari - is enough to make this a wonderful listen, but he's also used Alfred Schnittke's rarely-played cadenzas, which weave together excerpts of violin concertos from over the centuries - from Brahms to Berg. And he's recorded Schnittke's Violin Concerto No. 3.

To enter, simply respond to this post in the comments, answering the question, have you ever heard the Schnittke cadenzas played with the Beethoven Violin concerto? (I hadn't, until now!) Whatever your answer, you will be entered to win!*

* You must be a registered member of Violinist.com and signed up for our bi-weekly Violinist.com e-mail journal to win. (Click here to register as a member, click here to to sign up for the e-mail journal. We'll take entries through May 19.)

Also, we did a great interview with Vadim about Beethoven, Schnittke and more -- click here to read it.

Gluzman Beethoven Schnittke

Replies (42)

May 12, 2021, 12:30 PM · No I haven't...
May 12, 2021, 12:36 PM · Nor have I...!
May 12, 2021, 12:47 PM · Goodness me, nor have I ??
May 12, 2021, 12:55 PM · I haven’t heard them!
May 12, 2021, 2:01 PM · I have not.
May 12, 2021, 2:07 PM · I have not.
May 12, 2021, 2:11 PM · Yes, Gidon Kremer's recording from the 1970's or early 1980's.
May 12, 2021, 2:25 PM · I have heard the Schnittke cadenzas for the Beethoven and have actually attempted them. I believe that I also heard the recording by Gidon Kremer.
May 12, 2021, 3:03 PM · I have not heard them performed.
May 12, 2021, 3:03 PM · I haven't either, but I bet they are brilliant! :)
Edited: May 12, 2021, 3:13 PM · I've not, but I will if I win one of the prizes and live to tell the tale. I'm also intrigued to know whether "weave together excerpts of violin concertos from over the centuries - from Brahms to Berg" REALLY means no concertos earlier than the Brahms or later than the Berg. How many centuries ARE there between 1878 and 1935? (Quite a few if you're talking that fast-moving scintillating British game, Cricket - It's my fault that it bores me to tears).
May 12, 2021, 6:14 PM · Maybe in my dreams!
May 12, 2021, 7:01 PM · I’ve now heard them for the first time after listening to Mr. Gluzman’s latest recording. Quite unexpected and interesting indeed!
May 12, 2021, 8:44 PM · Indeed I have not, though I may have heard *about it* (not a proper listen.)
May 12, 2021, 11:08 PM · I haven't heard it till now
May 12, 2021, 11:59 PM · Not familiar
May 13, 2021, 1:05 AM · I haven't yet heard it, but I'm definitely curious about it.
May 13, 2021, 1:55 AM · No I have not
May 13, 2021, 4:44 AM · Yes I have. If I recall right, it was Gidon Kremer plus Lenny Bernstein conducting the Vienna Phil. Also, some years ago, at the Kronberg Cello Academy in Germany where Kremer gave public Violinist masterclasses he related his experiences when playing the Schnittke cadenzas to the LvB concerto Live in Russia: Many protested, stood up and left the concert hall!
May 13, 2021, 6:16 AM · Have not heard it.
May 13, 2021, 8:25 AM · No, but Google has!

https://www.google.com/search?q=Schnittke+cadenzas&rlz=1C1CHBF_enUS919US919&oq=Schnittke+cadenzas&aqs=chrome..69i57j69i61&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

May 13, 2021, 10:31 AM · I first heard Gidon Kremer decades ago play the Schnittke Cadenza for the Beethoven Concerto. Recently, I saw Patricia Kopatchinskaja on YouTube play her own version of the cadenza to the same concerto and was amazed and impressed.
May 13, 2021, 1:04 PM · I was aware of the Schnittke cadenza existence. Unfortunately never listened to it
May 13, 2021, 2:01 PM · I remembered Gidon Kremer recorded the concerto with Schnittke's cadenza.
May 13, 2021, 2:02 PM · I know Schnittke's work. At perhaps the other end of the scale, Kopatchinskaya's cadenzas are extraordinarily good fun!
May 13, 2021, 5:33 PM · No, I have not
May 13, 2021, 5:50 PM · I have not (but would like to!)
May 14, 2021, 8:52 AM · No, I have not
May 14, 2021, 4:54 PM · Have not that I know of but intend to give it a listen.
May 14, 2021, 9:46 PM · No I haven’t! But I would like to.
May 15, 2021, 9:13 PM · Heard Gidon Kremer live with the LA Phil in the 80's use it!
My wife gave me the side-eye during it.
Edited: May 19, 2021, 1:08 PM · No I have not. I will find it interesting because the Schnittke music I have heard has never reminded me of Beethoven and seems so much harder to listen to than Beethoven. Perhaps this is sort of like how Arnold Scoenberg studied and loved the music of Bach, and indeed I had an LP of Schoenberg's music that included some Bach pieces arranged for orchestra by Schoenberg. This discussion made me search for it online but I cannot remember what it was, nor do I find that old LP (based on album cover images) but the search made me aware that Schoenberg orchestrated 3 Bach pieces: a Prelude & Fugue in E flat Major (BWV 552) and 2 chorale preludes (BWV 654 & 667).

Perhaps it is time for me to revisit the music of Schnittke, a composer I initially liked when I first heard him (over 30 years ago in Sprague Hall at Yale where I have attended hundreds of concerts and recitals as a local) but soon found him difficult and unrewarding and so I've neglected him for a long time since.

ADDED in EDIT: And WOW! The interview with Gluzman is AMAZING!!! Here is an excerpt that should whet the appetitie for reading it and listening to the CD:

EXCERPT:

Schnittke's cadenzas, written in 1977, go well beyond the usual parameters of embellishing a cadence with a bit of personal improvisation, using themes from the movement while staying within the style of the piece. By contrast, Schnittke's cadenzas cross the centuries, using themes not just from the Beethoven Violin Concerto, but also from violin concertos by Johannes Brahms, Béla Bartók, Dmitri Shostakovich, Alban Berg and Schnittke himself. In doing so, they also cross into territory that is dissonant and even atonal at times.

END EXCERPT

In that same Sprague Hall I've heard some recitals by Boris Berman, a pianist originally from the USSR who did a memorable program of Soviet music one evening. Soviet music is very interesting, worth exploring beyond Shostakovich and Prokofiev and Miaskovsky, into, for example the later composers Sofia Gubaidulena, Tigran Mansurian, Edison Denisov and Schnittke himself.

I could go on about the Soviets but instead add just a note that starting when I was about 18 and first discovering classical music (after a Deadhead and rocker youth) I also noticed the Polish composers after WW2 who struck me as so unique and tortured (especially Lutoslawsky and Gorecki and Penderecki) that it was the first time I'd considered how inseparable are the historical circumstances from the music made therein. Some music seems timeless (like Bach cello suites) but probably in all cases music bears the stamp of its birth circumstances. I think one sign of truly great art is when it can reach us emotionally after crossing spans of time and space into very different circumstances and the very different sensibilities of thos times and places. I guess that is what "timeless" means when we use it to describe a work.

May 17, 2021, 7:12 AM · Yes, I have heard this cadenza and love it
May 17, 2021, 6:44 PM · No, I have not.
May 17, 2021, 7:55 PM · Nope, I have never heard Schnittke's cadenzas. Guess I am an unfaithful Schnittke fan.
May 17, 2021, 9:09 PM · No, I have not heard the Schnittke cadenza.

I have heard many cadenzas by other composers/violinists, but my favourite remains the Kreisler cadenza.

May 23, 2021, 1:00 AM · Never! Is it too late?
May 25, 2021, 6:04 PM · Did anyone win the CD?
May 26, 2021, 12:47 AM · They did! Congrats to Michael Kennedy, Klaus Kreplin, Robert Beukers, Katherine Dunham and Jane Rose!
Edited: June 2, 2021, 6:43 PM · (This isn't an attempt to enter twice - I'm sure it wouldn't work if it were! {P.S.: Drat! It DIDN'T work!} No, I genuinely want to write something) I too thought Kreisler was the last word in cadenzas, until I heard Leonard Elschenbroich "improvise" a cadenza for the Haydn (I put "improvise" in quotation marks, because I'm not sure whether he and I mean the same thing by "improvise").
June 3, 2021, 6:49 PM · The CD arrived today! Fantastic. Thank you so much.
June 4, 2021, 4:13 PM · You may already be a winner ...

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Silent Violin
Yamaha Silent Violin

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

ArmSymphony AI Violin Competition
ArmSymphony AI Violin Competition

Find a Summer Music Program
Find a Summer Music Program

Violinist.com Business Directory
Violinist.com Business Directory

AVIVA Young Artist Program

Antonio Strad Violin

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Bobelock Cases

Fiddlerman.com

Fiddlershop

Los Angeles Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Violin-Strings.com

Metzler Violin Shop

Leatherwood Bespoke Rosin

Warchal

Barenreiter

Johnson String Instrument and Carriage House Violins

Potter Violins

String Masters

Bein & Company

Annapolis Bows & Violins

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe