Paganini 13

May 11, 2021, 9:58 AM · How do you place your 1st finger to cover the 5th in the second half of this? I can not make it sound beautiful!!

Replies (8)

May 11, 2021, 2:28 PM · this is a question for Bruce Berg, in case he is reading this! let's hope for a reply!
May 12, 2021, 1:58 AM · 1st finger as you are playing guitar and 3rd finger in a hammer way
May 12, 2021, 3:12 PM · What do you mean by 3rd finger ‘hammer way?’ I guess it’s the placing of my hand as I often haven’t caught the upper string and the sound breaks.
May 13, 2021, 2:33 AM · yes so you don t touch the upper string and you don t change the note of 1st finger on the upper string...1st finger simultaniusly on 2 strings and 3rd finger very archuated on the very tip of finger
Edited: May 14, 2021, 2:59 AM · If I'm not mistaken you're referring to the part where you must finger a fifth with 1 and also play the third in between with 1 and 3, right? Fifths are kind of wonky because what works for one person might not work for another, because the shape of the fingertips varies from person to person, and you have to find the precise position of your finger (with experimentation) that satisfies both the top and bottom note. In the case of this caprice, I recommend practicing playing the fifth as a doublestop as well as the third. I know the fifth isn't really played in performance, but because it's fingered, practicing the fifth doublestop will solidify your finger's position once you've figured out the placement of your 1st finger that works for you.

When I refer to the placement of the first finger, I'm talking about its position across the strings. If you think of placing a compass on your violin, imagine that the scroll is North. So you have to find your first finger's position with regard to East and West, not just North and South. That way you can find the spot where the curve at the end of your finger works for both notes in the fifth.

If anything I've said is helpful, then yay! But if I'm stating the obvious and have missed the point, or if it's not clear what I'm saying, I'd be happy to think about this further. Good luck in your caprice!

May 16, 2021, 6:47 AM · Thank you! Very helpful.
May 16, 2021, 9:56 AM · Theres a video on YouTube with Rodney Friend demonstrating how to play in fifths
May 16, 2021, 10:36 AM · Michael is correct -- it's very individual. My teacher basically told me, "There are no secrets, you have to figure out what works for you." But he could also see that I have a pretty good idea what kinds of things to try.

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Silent Violin
Yamaha Silent Violin

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

ArmSymphony AI Violin Competition
ArmSymphony AI Violin Competition

Find a Summer Music Program
Find a Summer Music Program

Violinist.com Business Directory
Violinist.com Business Directory

AVIVA Young Artist Program

Antonio Strad Violin

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Bobelock Cases

Fiddlerman.com

Fiddlershop

Los Angeles Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Violin-Strings.com

Metzler Violin Shop

Leatherwood Bespoke Rosin

Warchal

Barenreiter

Johnson String Instrument and Carriage House Violins

Potter Violins

String Masters

Bein & Company

Annapolis Bows & Violins

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe