Kreisler 3 Old Viennese Dances

Edited: May 3, 2021, 5:47 PM · So I was looking around good ol' imslp.org and found some Kreisler pieces. The ones that caught my attention were the 3 Old Viennese Dances, because I remembered that Liebeslied was a piece in there.
I sight read them yesterday and I thought it went well. But, while Liebeslied and Schön Rosmarin are not incredibly difficult for me, Liebesfreud is harder for me. I think it's more the beginning with the double stops.
Is there any way that I could get my fingers to move independently? as that is what the main theme needs. I believe that I could get better easily with everything outside the theme. Any advice you can give me would help a lot.

Thanks!

Replies (10)

May 3, 2021, 5:55 PM · It's an old story.
A man gets in a taxi and asks the driver how to get to Carnegie Hall. The driver replies, "Practice."

Same answer for you.

May 3, 2021, 5:56 PM · I forgot the name of this etude, but there is this one with a very easy version of the trill one line note one line technique. My teacher photocopied a page from an etude book, so I don't remember the author of the etude. He told me, but my single-celled brain forgot. This exercise greatly exercises your fingers' ability to move independent from another one. Carl Flesch even wrote in the subtitle for the 6th caprice: "This Caprice, which is to be used for daily study, is of particular value for developing the strength, technical facility, stretching abilities and independence of the fingers." That etude exercises the same fundamental skill, but at a far less technical level due to the lack of stretches and awkwardness that the 6th caprice has.
Edited: May 3, 2021, 6:57 PM · Dont, Op. 35 Etudes & Caprices No. 6 is good warmup for 4th finger trills. I don't recall it is any help for double stops.
May 3, 2021, 7:03 PM · Greetings,
Dounis puts a lot of emphasis on this. Simon Fischer’s double stop scale manual is invaluable.
dont opus 35 no1.
cheers,
Buri
Edited: May 4, 2021, 1:15 AM · Never played Liebesfreud, so I can't help you with that specific piece. I can share how I was told to practice double stops: step 1: practice only the upper line and practice only the lower line. Step 2: practice only the upper line but place both fingers (the upper and lower line) and vice versa. Step 3: practice both lines.

But I see in your post a common mistake to call the other piece Liebeslied. It is called Liebesleid. Just a switch of the I en E but in the meaning it is a big difference. In short: liebeslied = lovesong. Liebesleid = heartbroken.

Edited: May 4, 2021, 3:57 AM · I'll share what is feeling a bit like a recently-discovered silver bullet to me right now-- Rodney Friend's book (or YouTube videos, if you want to save time and money) on practicing in fifths. For warmups and scale kinds of exercises, but also with passagework. It works like an ever-present Geminiani grip in getting the correct posture that allows relaxation and control. This relaxation communicates itself to the right arm.

You can play thirds with a bad hand position and not be called out on it until it is too late. Fifths, played in tune with all four fingers for a given position, will force you to hold your left hand and arm in the correct place, letting your fingers move freely and accurately.

May 4, 2021, 6:23 AM · Greetings,
yes. It works like that for me too. I’m currently working huge chunks of the Bach Sonatas and Partitas using this approach. It is really satisfying...
Cheers,
Buri
May 4, 2021, 7:36 AM · For general development of double stops I use Josephine Trott's Melodious Double-Stops for Violin. Starts out simple and progresses. Great for practicing for fingering and intonation.
May 4, 2021, 8:16 AM · Break it down. Play the top note slowly with a metronome, then play the lower note slowly with a metronome. Then build the chords up slowly, so if you need to play a D and a B at the same time, play the D and then the B and then together.

While you are doing this, be very aware of tension in your right hand as you develop new coordination. Keep your fingers percussive, soft knuckles and relaxed hand.

I am also a big fan of Trott's Double-Stops for Violin, really very good for building up that muscle and coordination.

Metronome and slow practice will help you enormously.

Edited: May 5, 2021, 6:03 PM · Thank you for all the advice so far!

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Silent Violin
Yamaha Silent Violin

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Find a Summer Music Program
Find a Summer Music Program

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Violinist.com Business Directory
Violinist.com Business Directory

Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning
Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning

Dominant Pro Strings

Antonio Strad Violin

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Bobelock Cases

Fiddlerman.com

Fiddlershop

Los Angeles Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Violin-Strings.com

Metzler Violin Shop

Leatherwood Bespoke Rosin

Warchal

Barenreiter

Johnson String Instrument and Carriage House Violins

Potter Violins

String Masters

Bein & Company

Annapolis Bows & Violins

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe