Chipped paint

Edited: April 24, 2021, 11:22 AM · Hello,

Out of the blue.. if it was me I don't know, but the back of my violin has two chips now. Is there anything I could do to make them less apparent? I do understand is only cosmetic and will not create a problem long term as I see the coat below and not the bare wood.

[url=https://imgur.com/rrLQFXz][img]http://i.imgur.com/rrLQFXz.jpg[/img][/url]

Thanks a ton!

Replies (6)

April 24, 2021, 11:54 AM · If it is not a valuable instrument and if the missing surface covering is not large, you might be able to match the color with the felt-tip pens sold to cover missing varnish chips. If the audience can't see it, don't worry about it.

You can make visible scratches vanish with a liquid clear cover (comes in a small bottle with a brush inside that is sold for that purpose. It refracts the light so that the varnish color appears over the scratch.

I have used both of these approaches on my instruments, which were bought when such things were much cheaper.

For an instrument you consider valuable visit a professional. I have never used a professional for these purposes, but I have used one to remove rosin (deposited under the strings by a previous owner - even though I bought the violin when it was only 2 years old). Believe me, I tried myself before taking it to the shop.

April 24, 2021, 12:57 PM · You must have a very brittle kind of varnish for it to have chipped off so cleanly! It won't affect the sound or the wood at all, though.

You can conceal the damage with a brown sharpie like Andrew suggests, but try a small spot first. The permanent marker trick has a tendency to look either invisible or worse than nothing at all.
There are also retouching varnishes sold online, but since you called it "paint" you probably don't have the experience to do a good job of it. If it really bothers you a luthier could fix it in 20 minutes or so.

April 24, 2021, 3:18 PM · Might you be able to muster up the fortitude to leave the chips alone?
April 24, 2021, 3:33 PM · Indeed,
chips are a great sauce of trouble for many people...
April 24, 2021, 4:47 PM · I pay too much attention to details! :D

Actually it was not brittle, more like soft, as I saw it peeling.. pretty weird. I wonder if this is normal in violins as I've never seen like this on guitars.

April 24, 2021, 4:48 PM · I pay too much attention to details! :D

Actually it was not brittle, more like soft, as I saw it peeling.. pretty weird. I wonder if this is normal in violins as I've never seen like this on guitars.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Silent Violin
Yamaha Silent Violin

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Find a Summer Music Program
Find a Summer Music Program

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Violinist.com Business Directory
Violinist.com Business Directory

Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning
Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning

Dominant Pro Strings

Antonio Strad Violin

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Bobelock Cases

Fiddlerman.com

Fiddlershop

Los Angeles Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Violin-Strings.com

Metzler Violin Shop

Leatherwood Bespoke Rosin

Warchal

Barenreiter

Johnson String Instrument and Carriage House Violins

Potter Violins

String Masters

Bein & Company

Annapolis Bows & Violins

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe