Recommendation for video software (Windows 10)?

Edited: April 23, 2021, 5:23 PM · I need to record a video for my teacher - this is for his ensemble and we are currently learning how to interact with the technology so we can produce both virtual and in-person concerts. It's an adult student ensemble, basically it provides us a chance to play together.

When I record audio only (with Audacity) and Blue Yeti microphone the sound is crisp and clean. Using the video option on the camera app (Windows 10) that came with my computer - with the same Blue Yeti mic, the sound is sometimes clear, sometime very muffled and so forth. This isn't me, I know what MY mistakes sound like :-)

Recommendations for a free or inexpensive Windows 10 app that would be better? I had wanted to deliver my video tomorrow but I need to solve this first.

Currently looking at CloudApp and FlashBack Express.

Replies (17)

April 23, 2021, 5:16 PM · When I make a video for YouTube type projects I record the video and the audio separately. Like you I use Audacity - which also allows me to add some reverb. I link the sound file with my phone camera video using a programme called Hit Film Express, and do this by doing a clap at the start of the takes which is then easy to link the spike in the soundwave with the physical act of clapping.
Edited: April 23, 2021, 7:19 PM · For video I use a cracked copy of Sony Vegas Pro, and Audacity or Studio One for audio (these are both free). Before someone makes a stink about piracy, I assure you the cracked versions are such old, outdated software that no programmers are cheated out of royalties. Nonetheless it is extremely powerful software that gives you a lot more freedom than the stock hobby software that comes with many personal computers.
April 23, 2021, 7:48 PM · I think the interplay between software and hardware are factors.

You could try StreamLabs, or record audio and video separately and sync the two together yourself.

April 23, 2021, 8:58 PM · I use Camtasia but only because it's what I use for teaching and I have it already. It's probably not the best tool for the job. My wife found something that she uses for editing our daughter's audition videos that she says is very powerful and it was either free or really cheap, I'll find out tomorrow morning. :)
April 23, 2021, 9:36 PM · DaVinci Resolve was recommended to me as a free but powerful Windows video editing option but I haven't gotten around to trying it yet. You could combine the Audacity-recorded audio with the camera-recorded video - or if whoever is doing the final video editing is okay with it, submit the video and better audio in separate files for that person to handle.
April 24, 2021, 4:54 AM · When you use the video option on the camera app with the Blue Yeti mic, could you be pushing your system memory to its limits (or even, though less likely, the cpu itself)? Is your computer a 4GB, 6GB, 8GB, or higher model?
April 24, 2021, 6:58 AM · You might try looking at the products from NCH Software.

https://www.nchsoftware.com/index.html

For simple direct recording video/audio with a few editing features I use their "Debut Video Capture" program.

If I need full audio/video editing capabilities I use "VideoPad Video Editor"

When I need a lot of sound effects, audio processing I use "Audacity" also.

Edited: April 25, 2021, 7:01 AM · My laptop has plenty of resources but I think I've figured it out. Until now, I use my bluetooth buds when I record to listen to my teacher's recording. With Audacity this isn't a problem. Toss the camera into the mix and my sound goes south. I do select the Yeti as my mic, but I have to wonder if the two microphones (my ear buds have one) are somehow the actual problem.

Regardless, my camera and Blue Yeti record well together, most of the time, I don't have my ear buds active. I HAVE noticed when my buds are in that sometimes the higher notes sound muted - just like that recording did. Perhaps I should stream my teacher's part from my phone as my laptop may not do well with both playing and recording at the same time.

April 24, 2021, 1:38 PM · I really like da Vinci Resolve from Black Magic Design, I think the basic version is free. You can stitch separate audio and video together. Clunky in places, but a decent enough piece of software for what you need.
Edited: April 26, 2021, 1:41 PM · I was able to, finally, manage to record a very simple piece for my teacher - he is currently using extremely easy pieces to allow us to focus on the technology without having to worry about the actual playing, though that will soon change. I had wondered about that at the time, but after my experience with this I think he was very wise to do it that way. This spring our focus is to get the technology down and to become accustomed to playing this way - though I look forward, deeply, to our being able to play in the same room again. This is for his adult student ensemble.

It should not be THAT hard to record a simple piece while listening to my teacher's reference recording. I've a good graphics card and plenty of memory so that really shouldn't be a factor. I will try out several of the software solutions mentioned here. I don't want to start having to stitch together different files to send to him to have him stitch it into other software, but if that's what I need to do then I will.

April 26, 2021, 1:05 PM · When I'm recording to a backing track, it's usually my own track in Audacity, so I always use wired headphones to avoid Bluetooth lag. I think this wouldn't actually matter if you're sending a separate file containing only your audio.

Early in the pandemic, my students did some video collaboration projects that were edited by a parent. They played to a piano track, I recorded additional violin audio, and the editor parent combined my audio with the audio from the kids' videos (and removed the audio of some of them...). That's why I'm saying maybe you don't necessarily need to do the editing yourself.

My wireless earbuds have a "headphones" mode and a "headset" mode. The mic input of headset is garbly and terrible. In theory, you should be able to select the mic in the software, but I wouldn't put it past the settings to not work in the expected manner!

April 26, 2021, 1:39 PM · I think if you're only stitching audio and video, you can get away with windows movie maker. It's also not that resource intensive.
April 26, 2021, 1:49 PM · I use OBS Studio. I have found it pretty intuitive for my own needs.
Edited: April 26, 2021, 1:53 PM · Mengwei - I select my Blue Yeti as the input mic, etc. I wonder if somehow both mics are bleeding into each other somehow. With my instrument just a few inches from my bluetooth buds/mic I suspect the odd quality of the recording is simply the blue-tooth mic being overwhelmed. It doesn't seem to happen in my Zoom lessons though. Zoom lessons feature Blue Yeti mic, JLab ear buds.

Yesterday my recording picked up both my Yeti recording AND my teacher's recording which was only on my headset!

Ideally I don't need to stitch anything together, at least I hope not. My teacher sends each of the ensemble members his recording so we have something to play along with. Yesterday I was successful in one specific corner of my apartment, and wired buds attached to my Yeti microphone. Thankfully that worked well, and I will explore my JLab bluetooth buds setting further to make certain I am using the proper mode. I hate wired headsets of any kind when I'm playing. It also seems to happen more often in different parts of my apartment which REALLY makes no sense!

Thanks again everyone.

April 26, 2021, 4:35 PM · I have JLab products too! "Pro Wireless Signature" ($20 at Best Buy) and Epic Sport Wireless (these have a piece that hooks around the ear), not "true wireless" because the earbuds are cord-connected. The Epic Sport model, 2-3x more expensive at the time, is at least usable on Zoom though bad but the cheaper ones are so terrible as to be completely unusable on Zoom. (They are better than my budget smartphone's built-in speaker though so at least they found a good use.)

I dislike being tethered while playing but that would be one way to eliminate potential Bluetooth interference. Maybe there are other wireless devices in the vicinity? I don't know if that's a real thing that happens. I also found that it helped to hang the wire behind my neck instead of in front.

April 26, 2021, 7:46 PM · Hmmm, interesting thought about other wireless/bluetooth devices. I'm in an apartment and there are 4 other apartments in range. That might play a role. I have the Jlab "Air Sport True Wireless". They hook around my ears but there is no wire between them. They work fine for lessons, thankfully. I really like them, which was a surprise.

If I do need to stitch things together will check both OBS Studio and windows movie maker.

April 26, 2021, 8:39 PM · Oh yeah, OBS is a really good one. It lets you designate which devices to draw audio and and video from, so it's easy for you to combine webcam video with external microphone audio.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Silent Violin
Yamaha Silent Violin

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Find a Summer Music Program
Find a Summer Music Program

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Violinist.com Business Directory
Violinist.com Business Directory

Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning
Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning

Dominant Pro Strings

Antonio Strad Violin

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Bobelock Cases

Fiddlerman.com

Fiddlershop

Los Angeles Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Violin-Strings.com

Metzler Violin Shop

Leatherwood Bespoke Rosin

Warchal

Barenreiter

Johnson String Instrument and Carriage House Violins

Potter Violins

String Masters

Bein & Company

Annapolis Bows & Violins

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe