Is it possible to recreate violin corner?

Edited: April 22, 2021, 10:50 AM · I have this Artino circular pad that has a string though it; 1 loop goes around the endpin, and the other loop around the bottom left back corner of the violin. For me it sounds much better compared to using a shoulder rest, since there is more resonance and more upper harmonics. But this is not a thread about shoulder rests! My problem is that the violin is very old and the corner is so worn out that the loop easily slips off the corner. To the violin makers here, is there any way to add wood to the corner in order to facilitate this?

I've also seen the adhesive versions of this pad online, but am skeptical about potential varnish damage... does anyone also know anything about this?

Replies (10)

April 22, 2021, 10:58 AM · I gouged a little chunk of wood out of my violin corner on an enthusiastic upbow, and my violin guy fixed it like new. He said it happens once in a while. I imagine that your issue is imminently treatable.
Edited: April 22, 2021, 1:10 PM · Corners are lost from student instruments all the time. Chunks of wood. Luthiers fix them and you can't even see the seam, I don't know how they do that, but they do.

One possibility is to bring your elastic strap up over the bottom left front corner instead. Of course then you can see it, but we can't have everything.

April 22, 2021, 11:40 AM · Any qualified luthier can easily replace a missing or worn corner, however it is not meant to be under stress, so the idea of hanging the elastic? thread on a protruding corner is not a good idea in any case
Edited: April 22, 2021, 12:09 PM · A friend of mine used an adhesive pad on the back of his Enrico Rocca ($100,000) violin. No apparent damage.

I've used them on my luthier-made violins with the same result - even though they cost me orders of magnitude less.

April 22, 2021, 12:58 PM · Damaged corners can be replaced. That kind of wear or damage is standard fare for a luthier. When done well, it’ll look like it did originally. It can get a little more complicated if purfling is missing, but that can be remedied as well.
April 22, 2021, 2:45 PM · Just curious, is there a thing where if you don't get it repaired immediately, it will be harder to repair to the same standard?
Edited: April 22, 2021, 3:43 PM · Replacing a corner is a common repair, but a hard one. I tried once myself and the result was merely passable. Make sure you get someone good to do it.
As long as the replacement is glued to the corner block there should be no concerns about resilience. If it's merely hanging onto the top plate I wouldn't attach any shoulder pads to it.

To answer the question above, the age of the damage makes no difference at all. It's usually a repair done on old instruments anyways. What does make it harder is if a DIYsman got to it before you did and decided to slather the whole break in wood filler and paint... been there, fixed that...

April 29, 2021, 1:37 PM · If you leave a broken corner unrepaired, the exposed wood will be susceptible to dirt and oil, which can discolor the wood and contaminate the glue surface. The jagged edges will also be more prone to catching on things and breaking off more wood.

It’s good to have the repair done soon after the damage if you’re able. If you need to wait, just try to keep the area from getting anything on it

April 29, 2021, 5:49 PM · It's necessary to file down the broken edge even if the damage occured 15 minutes ago, because the the gluing surface must be flat. This removes any significant contamination.
April 29, 2021, 10:30 PM · No competent luthier would do this with a file!!

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Silent Violin
Yamaha Silent Violin

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Find a Summer Music Program
Find a Summer Music Program

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Violinist.com Business Directory
Violinist.com Business Directory

Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning
Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning

Dominant Pro Strings

Antonio Strad Violin

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Bobelock Cases

Fiddlerman.com

Fiddlershop

Los Angeles Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Violin-Strings.com

Metzler Violin Shop

Leatherwood Bespoke Rosin

Warchal

Barenreiter

Johnson String Instrument and Carriage House Violins

Potter Violins

String Masters

Bein & Company

Annapolis Bows & Violins

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe