Another shoulder rest question

April 18, 2021, 5:06 PM · Trying to target this as well as I can. The combination of the tallest Wave CR + Wolf Forte Secundo with the chest side set literally as high as it will go and the shoulder side is about midway/low. The problem is I think I may need a taller extender for the chest side. It is set almost on the very end.

I don't want another SR, but is there a way to extend the treble side even further? It's far better than it was, so that's good. It's much better as far as fit and comfort over all the others I've tried.

Replies (14)

Edited: April 18, 2021, 5:13 PM · Kuhn makes an extra long leg which fits. I have used it that way before switching back to my Everest with extension. You will have to use the extender bushing with the Wolfe though.

If you need that much of a boost and don't have a physical deformity like I have you might want to have your teacher check your playing position.

April 18, 2021, 5:55 PM · yeah you can either get an extra long leg or attach a sponge on the chest side to make it higher.
Edited: April 18, 2021, 6:12 PM · Kuhn's isn't tall enough, my Wolf Forte extender is taller - it's longer than the normal Wolf, I think. I will keep playing with the bass side as well. I've a very tall neck, which IS fused and totally jacked shoulders. An imperfect setup is a recipe for disaster - and issues come quickly if anything is off.

We are still totally on Zoom for the foreseeable future, and I've also seen someone else to specializes in this side of things via Zoom, which is how I wound up with the Wolf Forte. I just don't think my posture is quite correct, my neck is leaning more than it needs to be... MUCH better than it was though, and I feel tons better.

I will also drop by a local shop and compare the long Wolf Forte extender with the Kuhn, just in case I'm incorrect.

April 18, 2021, 7:12 PM · I also cannibalized some foam shoulder rests to put the pieces on other rests to adjust height.
Edited: April 20, 2021, 9:09 PM · Comes a point where raising the SR too much result in a lot of shoulder tension as you have to raise you arms significantly. You need to strike a balance between SR and CR heights. I'd say if the Wolf ain't tall enough, you need a taller chinrest.
April 20, 2021, 9:33 PM · Catherine, have you tried lowering the treble side of your SR? You may want to experiment, and lower the treble side of your SR instead of making it horizontal with the base side. Doing this will cause the treble side of the SR closer to your chest-- if this is what you want/need.
Edited: April 20, 2021, 9:34 PM · Unless you're a giraffe with excellent typing skills, I am skeptical of the idea that you need this much height. Does your condition necessitate the use of a setup that keeps your neck absolutely erect at all times?
April 20, 2021, 10:32 PM · BTW she already has a raised chinrest that fills everything from jaw to collarbone, so that is sorted. She also has the shoulder side screwed to low height, so that is also sorted. Some people just need a lot of extra height on the chest side due to chest shape, so your options are 1. get an extra long leg or 2. attach a sponge on the chest side to make it higher.
April 21, 2021, 7:14 AM · Ella's said it well, it's about how I'm built - both chest and shoulders. Thankfully I had a Zoom consult with Randall (Wave) and he got me very close. I know the Wolf Forte is adjustable in many ways so will keep looking into that and see if I can find an even longer leg. It needn't be much longer, just a tad
April 21, 2021, 2:48 PM · Bit of a new boy round here so what's an SR?
April 21, 2021, 2:59 PM · Shoulder Rest.
April 21, 2021, 3:01 PM · Super rare
April 21, 2021, 4:20 PM · Catherine, You could resort to help from a machine shop.
April 21, 2021, 4:25 PM · Ann - that might be the best solution if I can't find a longer leg.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Silent Violin
Yamaha Silent Violin

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Find a Summer Music Program
Find a Summer Music Program

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Violinist.com Business Directory
Violinist.com Business Directory

Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning
Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning

Dominant Pro Strings

Antonio Strad Violin

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Bobelock Cases

Fiddlerman.com

Fiddlershop

Los Angeles Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Violin-Strings.com

Metzler Violin Shop

Leatherwood Bespoke Rosin

Warchal

Barenreiter

Johnson String Instrument and Carriage House Violins

Potter Violins

String Masters

Bein & Company

Annapolis Bows & Violins

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe